My Sister Witnessed Her Neighbor Get Shot-Update!

This is a discussion on My Sister Witnessed Her Neighbor Get Shot-Update! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That is SO 'not good'. Lima, let us know how she and her family is doing and if get any more info post it for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Sister Witnessed Her Neighbor Get Shot-Update!

That is SO 'not good'. Lima, let us know how she and her family is doing
    and if get any more info post it for us. I do hope her and the police involved
    recover quickly.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

Holing up with a shotgun isn't a crime. Though, obviously someone called about something, for so many officers to arrive to the scene. Either he was threatening others, or he called to claim he would harm someone or himself, or ...

In the end, raising a shotgun in a threatening manner against responding police officers and resisting arrest is a crime. It's also a terribly low-percentage move. He knew that. My bet is: suicide.

Your sister now has first-hand experience with how things can play out. The same sort of thing happens when a BG decides to unload on innocents. It's ugly and direct. Defending against such attacks (by BG's) is, of course, why we all carry. Unknown if this will help or hurt her ability to see the the ability to defend one's self as important, given what goes on every day. I hope she gets through it okay, as it seems to have affected her strongly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    She was even impressed that they ran to his side and gave him aid until the ambulance could take him away.
    Actually, that part doesn't surprise me.

According to a police buddy that was involved in a shooting early last year, that is now part of their standard protocol. He said it was basically for two reasons, humanitarian, and to show that they "really didn't want to shoot".

The thing that surprised me was that by buddy got a 4 month "paid vacation" while the investigation worked it's way through all the review boards. Just seems like a long time to me.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    I changed the title of the thread because according to any information I've found, the neighbor is not dead.

Here are some news stories I've uncovered...

Suspect Shot During Appleton Standoff

Armed Man Shot During Standoff

lima are you sure that is correct nice old man... 43 years old?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    Really wierd. Really sad. Where did this happen?
    Appleton, WI.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo93 View Post
    That's how my sister described him. All of my information from yesterday was from the POV of my sister.

I don't know her neighbors or what she saw. Then again, my sister considers anyone older than her to be old.

I, too, am getting the impression of a frail 80 year-old with a shotgun, but we'll see what it turns out to really be.

My sister said shotgun, media is reporting high-power-rifle. Then again, my sister could probably not tell the difference between a shotgun and a rifle if asked to pick them out of a lineup.

She may not be the greatest at identifying gun types or estimating age, but I'll believe what she said about how things transpired until otherwise corrected. It will be interesting to see how closely the final story matches her account.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo93 View Post
    That's from an earlier shooting. Cops have not released the name or age of the armed neighbor in yesterdays shooting.
    There’s an old and true, military motto, “Si vis pacem, para bellum” - “If you want peace, prepare for war.”

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    To me, its even more sad for the officers who are put in that situation because someone does not have the intestinal fortitude to do the job themselves if they want to leave this world so badly.
    So true, and well said.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Good Lord, this "Old Man" is 43....?

Hey, wait a minute, I'm 40........Uh Oh....I must have gotten old at some point when I wasn't paying attention. That stinks.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Question

Lima, your sister OK?
    This could be quite traumatic.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Senior Moderator

Okay, Here's an update!

I just got off the phone with my sister.

Her neighbor is doing fine (believe it or not). He suffered ONE (that's right, ONE) gun shot wound to the neck and will be released from the hospital (and immediately into police custody) sometime this upcoming week.

Now, as to what happened.

According to my sister, this neighbor (age 40-43, and yes, she admits she was wrong about his estimated age) had an assault and battery charge a year ago that he had missed his check in with his probation/parole officer.

The officer went to the house to make contact and the neighbor pretty much said, "Get out of here. I have a gun."

The local authorities were called and the stand-off commenced.

The neighbor shot at police and police responded with THREE shots.

One hit the neighbor in the neck, two hit his home.

My sister said she had thought he got shot more because of how he was jerking as he went down but she suspects that was because of the trauma to his neck.

However, my sister is very frustrated with local news. All reports are saying that it is unclear whether he was shot by police or if he shot himself. Some reports are even saying that he shot twice, once at police and then at himself.

My sister's husband took both video and still shots of the event and she said that the video and photographs support their eye-witness account that he fired once at the police and it was responding police that shot him.

Police have taken possession of both the video and still photos taken by her husband for the duration of the investigation and her husband has already been contacted about being a witness if there is ever a trial. There is also a possibility that she may be called upon as well.

She said the most scary part is when she asked her four-year-old daughter what she was going to say to her friends at school if they asked anything she said, "Oh, I saw my neighbor get shot in the head."

My sister said she's not sure what their daughter saw because she was constantly in and out of the room, curious about what was going on, and though she doesn't believe their daughter really saw anything, she has certainly picked up on what happened.

She said that when she thought her neighbor was dead she was having a lot of trouble sleeping and was a little stunned by everything that has gone on, but knowing that he is alive and doing well has made her feel a lot better about what happened.

She said she's glad they had the video just so that they could prove without a doubt that the police did everything they could to prevent what happened. She said she hopes the video gets out to the public, or at least some of the still shots, so that they can know the officers were at their finest.

Other than that, there's not much else to be said.

She seems to be doing well. Her husband was playing the guitar in the background. Social Services haven't shown up to take their daughter away for reckless endangerment.. all is well!

Administrator

Thumbs up

That is good that the guy is still alive but, he sure did compound his life problems. He is in for a whole heap of impending trouble.

"One hit the neighbor in the neck, two hit his home."
    Hey at least they managed to hit the house TWICE.
    That's just like being able to hit the side of a barn.
    Their shooting skills are improving.

The main thing is that your Sister is doing OK.
    I'm happy to hear that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thumbs up

Thanks for the update.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links