My daughter wants to change her name.

This is a discussion on My daughter wants to change her name. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know this is completely off topic, and you guys probably know more about my daughter now than maybe I even know, but she wants ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My daughter wants to change her name.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

My daughter wants to change her name.

I know this is completely off topic, and you guys probably know more about my daughter now than maybe I even know, but she wants to change her name.

A little history...very little.

My 16 year old daughter wants to be in the movie business. (She wants to be a movie director.) Of course, it is not uncommon for Hollywood types to change their name. At first she wanted to make just a minor change, say going from Susan Mypoint to Susan Point. (Not her real/fake name). But now she wants to change it completely to something like Cheri Connery.

Her thoughts are to do it now before getting into college so everything will be in her new stage name.

Opinions? Do I let her? Do I make her wait until she is 18? What if she marries some guy name Schmeckpepper? We are back to square zero again.

PS: I showed her the post about her calling me paranoid. The conversation went like:

Daughter: "Dad. I am not a right wing wacko nut job like you."

Me: "But you are conservative"

Daughter: "Not to the extent that you are"

Me: "Ahhhh, but the seed is there and it will grow. I look forward to buying you your first gun"

At which point she left the room. There is hope for her. She is truly a young Jedi.
    Last edited by ExactlyMyPoint; January 14th, 2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: added career as movie director
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Tell her to go do her homework. Not even the weirdo's in Hollywood change their names legally most of the time. They simply have business names. Their stage names are simply DBA names, much like an authors pen name.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Its not uncommon to have a stage,or performer name,much like a band gives themselves a name,but its not a LEGAL name. She needs to learn this,...

E.G. "Carrothead" is most definitionly NOT this comedians real/legal name.

Besides, "real names" are cooler anyway IMHO,I hate hearing so many OBVIOUSLY fake names. If someones real name happens to be something simple like "Jay Leno" ,well cool. But once you hear the name of "Jake Gyllenhaal"(or whomever,just saying its clearly his real name.),its something you don't quickly forget. Although (offtopic) I always thought it funny that Charley Sheen,and Emelio Estavez are brothers,and Emelio actually changed his "real" name.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

No matter what route she takes in life, tell her to go into it with her head up and her feet firmly planted.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I know this is completely off topic, and you guys probably know more about my daughter now than maybe I even know, but she wants to change her name.

Me: "Ahhhh, but the seed is there and it will grow. I look forward to buying you your first gun"

At which point she left the room. There is hope for her. She is truly a young Jedi.
    Sounds like you and she need more bonding time on the range....
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

If I understand it correctly, anyone can use any name they want, as long as the intent is not to defraud.

Do you let her?

No, you don't. When she becomes an adult and assumes full responsibility for herself, she can make decisions like that. By then, she'll likely have outgrown that stage just like she outgrew her crush on the Backstreet Boys.......

Thank goodness my 8 year old daughter isn't gonna ever give me fits like that......right?

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Teenage daughters -- where do you even start!! I can't imagine what 16 must be like my 12 year old is killing me currently. I definitely wouldn't let her change her name. To everyone else's point -- a stage name is not a legal name. I guess that thing that I have noticed lately is that telling your kids "no" means you are actually parenting!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Don't believe I would allow her to change her name at this young age. Her outlook on things may change in 3 months, never know. Just like when a person graduates from high school and they are asked what they are going to do. I think it's safe to say that about 80% answer, "I'm going to be a lawyer" or "I'm going to be a doctor." Funny, how they change their mind after they get to college. That's a very big decision for her to be making right now IMO. Good luck.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Yeah, I'd go along with the crowd on this one... Unless my daughter was in the witness protection program, I'd not allow her to change her name.

Then again, I'm viewed as a dinosaur by my daughters anyway... I won't let them wear skimpy clothes, no matter how stylish it is, won't let them wear makeup that looks like it was applied with a 4" brush or in hues that no human was ever meant to wear, won't let them poke holes in body parts that don't need it, won't let them get a tattoo, and won't let them die the beautiful hair God gave them.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Next week it will be a chain going from her nose to her earring.

Answer is NO.

If she wants to change her name then find an agent who feels strongly enough to back her without any up front money and she can use a stage name.

Just tell her that you are not changing the name in the will...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Senior Moderator
    Okay, sorry, I'm not a parent yet, but I don't think myself or my husband would ever even CONSIDER letting our sixteen-year-old child change their name.

I'm a FIRM believe in "a good name is rather to be chosen than great riches."

My parents tried to teach me the responsibility of protecting my name and what it stood for, and though I failed a couple of times, by the time I grew up and realized just how GOOD and upstanding our family name had become and I looked around and saw how much honor their was in being who I was I didn't want to give it up.

But now I have a new task and that is to honor my husband's name and use my integrity and passions and strengths to make OUR family name a name of honor.

A name is a powerful tool and I wouldn't trade my name for any out there and it would break my heart if it didn't matter to my child enough for him or her to want to keep it.

A good friend of mine legally changed his first name from Charles to Ace. I REFUSE to call him Ace and he constantly teases me that I'm his only friend who still calls him Charlie.

I went through a time where I didn't like my name, but one day I ran out of gas and had just enough to pull into a gas station. I had no money and a blank check my Mom had written me for the vet.

I went into the station and asked if they took checks.

The clerk looked down at me like I must be crazy and started preaching about how they would NEVER take any checks.

I begged him, saying I had nothing else.

He asked to see my check.

I handed it over and he took a look at my family name.

His brows raised a bit and he said, "Do you know Alwin?"

"Yes, sir. That's my grandpa."

"Well, WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO!" His whole demeanor changed and he stated how he'd known my family for years and knew us all to be good and upstanding people and he would have no problem accepting my check.

He personally filled my gas tank and shook my hand before I left.

All because of my name.

I never disliked my name after that.

No, I would not let my child change their name. I would, however, try to help them find pride in the name they were blessed with.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    "Well, WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO!" His whole demeanor changed and he stated how he'd known my family for years and knew us all to be good and upstanding people and he would have no problem accepting my check.

He personally filled my gas tank and shook my hand before I left.

All because of my name.

I never disliked my name after that.
    Great story. You won't find those kind of stories much anymore. You are young enough that I even have a hard time believing it. But since it was your Grandpa that gives it credibility.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    Great story. You won't find those kind of stories much anymore. You are young enough that I even have a hard time believing it. But since it was your Grandpa that gives it credibility.
    I'm from a pretty small town and this was a tiny little gas station just south of where my father's entire extended family have lived, and died for about five generations now.

You say my family name around there and you'll get at least one older person who will say they knew SOMEONE from my Grandfather's time.

You're right though. It is unfortunate that this doesn't happen much anymore. I was actually surprised it happened to me. But it did give me a whole new appreciation for my name and a desire to keep that respect going.

Back when my Grandpa and the clerk of that gas station were young your name was a good as any contract. If your family name had a good history it was as much as saying you were a good guy. Consequently, if they had a bad history it was as much as saying you weren't to be trusted.

I was lucky enough to come from a family who were upstanding in their dealings with the community and in that one small instance it was enough to put gas in my car and get me home.

I wish we could go back to that today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links