Open Carry In Wisconsin

This is a discussion on Open Carry In Wisconsin within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does anyone who subscribes to this forum have any experience with open carry in Wisconsin? As a resident I have often thought of it, but ...

Thread: Open Carry In Wisconsin

Open Carry In Wisconsin

Does anyone who subscribes to this forum have any experience with open carry in Wisconsin? As a resident I have often thought of it, but I do not want to deal with the repercussions without being informed. I have talked to a couple Leos in town here and have gotten very mixed reponses. Anyone done it? What were your experiences?
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; January 14th, 2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Corrected caps. Every word does not need to be capitalized.

2. Remove Ads

No, but when you get some good info, let me know since I have to go visit there for a week this summer.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Just a gentle reminder - no OC vs CC debates please.

(It's certainly long overdue for WI to grant CCW that's for sure.)
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You can look here: OpenCarry.org

No debate wanted here. Just looking for other people's experiences. And maybe meet some people in my area with similar activities. Promise, as open carry seems to be our only option in Wisconsin. While helping a friend last week who lost his home in a tornado here, our lovely Gov. paid a visit to the area with quite a contingent of armed Leo and plain clothes body guards. Looks like he doesn't like to go anywhere unarmed. He did make quite an impact with about 20 people with him. Glad to see him out with the people, even if I disagree with some of his politics.
    Last edited by JD; January 14th, 2008 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Corrected caps. Every word does not need to be capitalized.

Senior Moderator
    I'm originally from Wisconsin and while "open carry" is still not banned in WI it is certainly not recommended as the carrying of a gun in WI is looked at as a BIG no no.

I visit my family often in Wisconsin and I only open carry on private property (which my parents have a lot of).

When we go into town, I disarm.

My father has expressed interest in open carrying just to exercise his rights and open eyes in Wisconsin in regards to carry, but when he starts to think about the repercussions he thinks better of it.

I know that a vast majority of my family would get their CCPs in a heartbeat if they could, and they are just waiting for a good gov. who won't veto the bill that keeps getting brought up.

My cousin open carries around his property and when he goes to IDPA matches (well, duh) and also to his cowboy action shoots with his uncle, but none of them open carry in town. It would cause a lot of trouble, even in the little town they live in.

I hope that WI wakes up soon and gets their permits. I know I would be applying for a non-Res TOMORROW if I could. It would certainly make visiting my family a lot less irritating.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Could someone please explain how they can get in so much trouble for NOT breaking the law? I hear this a lot when WI is brought up. Maybe a little exercising of the right would solve the problem...

Got in laws in WI that I have to visit from time to time and I would like to OC myself...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

A lot of local DA's and police officers try to threaten with "disturbing the peace" or similar. WI has firearms preemption. I'd use the state's constitution as affirmative defense, as that RKBA was added after a public vote on whether to allow open carry or not. They voted to allow it so carrying a firearm as well as hunting and fishing are rights protected in the state constitution.

I've only seen hunters and such open carry in WI. Never in a metro area.

Limatunes, where are you from in WI? I was born in Oshkosh, lived in Milwaukee, most recently from Green Bay.

Definitely less irritating not having to disarm. Have to go to WI for a funeral this weekend. Love seeing family, hate being unarmed.

I have talked to a couple Leos in town here and have gotten very mixed responses.
    Not trying to disparage LEOs at all here but, often some of the worst people you can ask about the law is a cop. Talk to 3 or 4 of them about a specific law and often you will get 3 or 4 differing views about what the law covers and if you would be within or out of bounds on it.

Research lawyers in your area and find one who deals with firearms cases and ask him. If there are none in your area that deal with firearms cases, see if you can get a written opinion from the state Attorney General. There may have been one already issued, you may just have to research and find it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Could someone please explain how they can get in so much trouble for NOT breaking the law?
    Because, as TN_Mike explained, LEOs can't be up to date on ALL of the laws on the books. They are most familiar with the laws that they deal with on a regular basis (drunken driving, speeding, domestic violence, etc.) and they don't have the luxury of sitting down with the state statutes when they perceive a crime is being committed. They have to act (it is their job afterall) and erroneous or not they are doing what they think is best. And I would bet every cent in my change jar (because I'm broke) that if an LEO saw a man or woman open carrying a gun anywhere around where I am from they WOULD put that individual under arrest.

Then, while that individual is sitting in jail screaming that he's done nothing wrong (which LEOs hear ALL the time) with his gun confiscated, he's frantically searching for a lawyer who can help him, and since the topic of open carry does not come up all that often in Wisconsin the likelihood of finding the right lawyer in a short period of time would be slim.

So, he goes to court, the court scratches their head and he become the test case for open carry in Wisconsin. And believe me when I say that I pray I NEVER become a test case. It could go good, it could go bad, but either way he is out some money and his day (if not week, month, or couple of months) is completely ruined and he may or may not get his gun back.

If anyone wanted to go ahead and try open carry in Wisconsin I would recommend he do so only if he is independently wealthy, doesn't care too much about the gun he's carrying, and has a lot of free time on his hands.. just in case.

In this instance I don't believe that open carrying would turn out favorably.

The places that accept open carry as a non threatening means of carry are places that have accepted it as a community from the citizens, to the media, to the law enforcement on up.

And usually what happens is someone became a test case. Someone, somewhere took a chance, open carried and was arrested because of it, they went to court, they got media attention, they won the case and the community was enlightened.

There are less exciting ways to introduce open carry to a community (if, like in Wisconsin, open carry would be your only legal means of carrying a firearm). There is media attention.

This approach has been used in at least two communities that I know of. One up in New England, the other in Lancaster Pennsylvania.

A man or small group of people alert the media to the laws of open carry and worked with the media to construct a positive article or segment about that means of carry. A story is done and published, sometimes the media goes along on the maiden open carry voyage. The community (including Law Enforcement and local government) see the press and dig a little deeper. They see that the individual mentioned is not breaking any laws and they leave him alone.

There are other ways to go about it as well, to include getting buddy buddy with the local government, raising the issue there.

It takes getting creative, but if one were passionate about carrying he would do what was necessary.

If he were even more passionate about carry he'd skip all the business with open carry and go right for the throat of the governor's office to push to get the concealed carry bill passed. Then he wouldn't have to worry about the communal repercussions of open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Limatunes, where are you from in WI? I was born in Oshkosh, lived in Milwaukee, most recently from Green Bay.
    Born and raised outside of Oshkosh. Went to school in Oshkosh (grade, high school and part of college). I have lots of family in Milwaukee, some in Green Bay and Appleton, and all over that region.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Could someone please explain how they can get in so much trouble for NOT breaking the law? I hear this a lot when WI is brought up. Maybe a little exercising of the right would solve the problem...
    Open carrying (only legal option in WI) may well serve to open some eyes and eventually help. The problem being that most people are not wealthy enough to be a good test case and challenge the state and local governments and law enforcement agencies.

As a person who carries legally, if I ever had to use my firearm in defense of myself or my family defending a legal, justified, even filmed use of my firearm could cost me a small fortune to defend. It's not so much about what is legal it's about the cost in dollars.

Wisconsin government is biased against firearms period. Even if their behavior is illegal or right on the edge you'll have a hard time defending yourself in front of a biased judge, jury and press. You would have to commit enough funding to get national attention. Not to mention the commitment of time away from your family and job.

Hope this helps you understand.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Born and raised outside of Oshkosh. Went to school in Oshkosh (grade, high school and part of college). I have lots of family in Milwaukee, some in Green Bay and Appleton, and all over that region.
    No kidding?!?

I grew up on Powers and Sterling, over by the old Buckey's store by the RR tracks on New York Ave. Went to Trinity Lutheran up until 3rd grade then moved to Milwaukee on 84th and Good Hope. My brother was class of '98 at Oshkosh North. Was on the varsity basketball team.

My dad still lives on Powers. Just retired from the fire department last May. Was a battalion chief. 34yrs of service. My brother lives on the West side on Dove over by Delta restaurant. I lived in West De Pere and Ashwaubenon by the stadium in Green Bay from '94 up until three years ago.

Small world, especially that we have the same hometown (just about).

Links