Meanest Mom on the Planet

This is a discussion on Meanest Mom on the Planet within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is a few days old but it brought a smile to my face. I didn't see any previous threads about it so I thought ...

Thread: Meanest Mom on the Planet

Meanest Mom on the Planet

This is a few days old but it brought a smile to my face. I didn't see any previous threads about it so I thought I would share.

FOXNews.com - 'Meanest Mom on Planet' Sells Teen Son's Car After Finding Booze Under Seat

DES MOINES, Iowa — Jane Hambleton has dubbed herself the "meanest mom on the planet."

After finding alcohol in her son's car, she decided to sell the car and share her 19-year-old's misdeed with everyone — by placing an ad in the local newspaper.

The ad reads: "OLDS 1999 Intrigue. Totally uncool parents who obviously don't love teenage son, selling his car. Only driven for three weeks before snoopy mom who needs to get a life found booze under front seat. $3,700/offer. Call meanest mom on the planet."

Hambleton has heard from people besides interested buyers since recently placing the ad in The Des Moines Register.

The 48-year-old from Fort Dodge says she has fielded more than 70 telephone calls from emergency room technicians, nurses, school counselors and even a Georgia man who wanted to congratulate her.

"The ad cost a fortune, but you know what? I'm telling people what happened here," Hambleton says. "I'm not just gonna put the car for resale when there's nothing wrong with it, except the driver made a dumb decision.

"It's overwhelming the number of calls I've gotten from people saying 'Thank you, it's nice to see a responsible parent.' So far there are no calls from anyone saying, 'You're really strict. You're real overboard, lady."'

The only critic is her son, who Hambleton says is "very, very unhappy" with the ad and claims the alcohol was left by a passenger.

Hambleton believes her son but has decided mercy isn't the best policy in this case. She says she set two rules when she bought the car at Thanksgiving: No booze, and always keep it locked.

The car has been sold, but Hambleton says she will continue the ad for another week — just for the feedback.

Finally! A Mom who's not afraid to stick to her guns. Parents sometimes forget that "tough love" is STILL "love".
    There’s an old and true, military motto, “Si vis pacem, para bellum” - “If you want peace, prepare for war.”

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I heard this on the radio the other day and all I can say is good for her!

Lead Moderator
    Well done mom.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I was wondering what the big deal is about this mom that warrants national news attention. I'd hope that 95% of parents would have a zero tolerance for this. She did good, I just don't think it should be special.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Good job!

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Her son maybe unhappy today but it may be that his mother gave him the time to be unhappy. She may have saved the boy's (young man's) life.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    It is rare to see parents with any guts in our proper society.They want to be a childs friend instead of a parent.Children need someone to tell them what to do.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I was wondering what the big deal is about this mom that warrants national news attention. I'd hope that 95% of parents would have a zero tolerance for this. She did good, I just don't think it should be special.
    You are right, it shouldn't be. But in reality it is. There aren't enough out there that will do it.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I don't think she deserves the title of meanest mom on the planet...more like one of the better moms on the planet.

Good for her. If my 17 year old son ever decides to get his license he will be under the same guide lines.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    well i guess he should buy his own car now, that should teach him the value of work
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

If it's his booze, his doing and his previous lies that claimed not drinking, she's 100% correct in coming down hard, because such behavior could get him killed. Or, far worse, kill others who unfortunately find themselves in his path.

Parenting. The first rule is to act like one. The second rule is to review the first rule.

I've got a brother in law in his early 50's that still hasn't learned the lesson. The arrogant fool is still acting like he's 21 and heading to a toga party. A few things still amaze me: how he's still alive; how he hasn't killed anyone; and how my sister is still married to him. God knows where his parents were while he was abdicating from responsibilities. But that story's for another day.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would have sold that car too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Parenting. The first rule is to act like one. The second rule is to review the first rule.
    Absolutely!
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Links