The ultimate Nanny state

This is a discussion on The ultimate Nanny state within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is it time to build a fence around California or what? WorldNetDaily: California dreamin' turns into a nightmare...

Thread: The ultimate Nanny state

The ultimate Nanny state

Is it time to build a fence around California or what?

WorldNetDaily: California dreamin' turns into a nightmare
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Things have changed

I lived and worked on the sunset strip in the late 60s early 70s. was a great time to be a Californian. I'll always remember those times. Moved back to Minnesota in 1972. I like to say California is a great place to be "FROM"
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    California is heading towards a complete governmental breakdown and revolution. What I love more than anything is the Californians that move to Arizona and are terribly frightening by "all these people with guns!!!" Eventually "scaring the newbies" is going to be a sport for open-carriers. It's always a pleasure to walk around the grocery store early on Saturday mornings during elk and deer season and see the local hunters cruising around the store with rifles slung while the recent transplants stand slack-jawed in the aisles.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    Scary stuff. I always knew Kalifornia was more government controlled than most other states, but to actually have a proposal that would allow the government to control your thermostat and appliances is farther than even true communists would have dreamed of going.

I just watched "Live Free or Die Hard" today. Can you imagine a crashed, hacked, or haywire computer system that would shut down your fridge and freezer and since it's hardwired in, there is nothing you can do to fix it yourself?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

osanmike.....good to see you...it's been a while since we've seen you here.

I was stationed in Los Angeles from 1996-99, and had some really great scuba diving...went a couple of times a week. If it wasn't for some of the people and the crappy politics, California would be a great place to live.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

SixBravo makes some good points, but as a fellow AZ, I immensely detest the Californian invasion. They sold their homes at a huge profit, bought here at half the price, and immediately demand the same liberal bull that they tried to escape. I do not want to see Arizona become California's back yard!

Being a Californian is really scary! The Central Valley is still decent, but the coast is moving inland to be able to buy property for under $1m, and they bring the disease with them. My apology to Arizona for the California invasion. I will be in Tucson in early February for vacation, but I promise to come back home (until I can move for good!)
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    SixBravo makes some good points, but as a fellow AZ, I immensely detest the Californian invasion. They sold their homes at a huge profit, bought here at half the price, and immediately demand the same liberal bull that they tried to escape. I do not want to see Arizona become California's back yard!
    Yeah probably should've made that more clear. I love the look on their faces. I hate the transplants who think that Arizona should become "progressive." I'd love to see a carry ban try and be upheld here in N AZ. With cops as sparse as they are up here, you've got to be kidding me. They'd have to quadruple the number of officers on the road with almost every department - especially the Sheriff's Offices.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

And when you add the immense problem of illegal immigration to the west coast invasion, the locals here don't stand a chance! I'm 80 miles south of SixBravo, and can hardly stand living in this environment that I've loved for so long. In the affluent areas, we're having either Kalifornia or Chicago Yuppies shoved down our throats. In the rest of the city, the signs are all in Spanish. Too bad for the best gun-friendly state in the nation. I'm sure it won't take long for the CA and MX crowd to change that.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I agree with the Arizona sentiment, up here in Flag, most of the homes are second homes for Kalifornians. This has pushed the prices so high that a normal working person cannot afford to buy a home. The median price for a home is $385,000 today.
    My other complaint is that Kalifornia cars don't have turn signals, or operators that can drive with any sense of courtesy!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

We have yet to see the ultimate nanny state. I hope we never do.

What I love more than anything is the Californians that move to Arizona and are terribly frightening ...
    They can be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Couldnt happen to nicer people
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Couldnt happen to nicer people
    Actually California is full of all kinds of people including some very nice people. I lived there for 12 years before returning to my home state, Colorado. There is a lot wrong with California and there were several reasons why I left but lack of nice people was not one of them.

Links