Why Six Year Olds Terrorize Me - Page 2

Why Six Year Olds Terrorize Me

This is a discussion on Why Six Year Olds Terrorize Me within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Euclidean I have a vague notion I want to get a PhD at some point. I have even decided to take a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I have a vague notion I want to get a PhD at some point. I have even decided to take a few months to think about whether or not I want to become superintendent certified, a process which takes years, at least a decade if you're quick and lucky. Ain't gonna get there with all this baggage weighing me down.
    I have always been a highly motivated person, and my family has never held me back. In fact they have helped my focus. It was after I got married that I kicked it into gear and finished my Bachelorís degree. It was after my daughter was born that I finally went to Graduate school. Now Iím working on my second graduate degree. And yet, I always have time for my wife and daughter. They are the reasons I push myself. To give them a better life.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnirsson
    The first words from my daughters mouth in the morning are "Daddy?"
    She won't stop until my wife takes her room to room to prove that I am not there. Periodically, throughout the day, she repeats the search for Daddy. When I get home from work, She runs to me with arms outstretched.
    Sure, there are times when she wants Mommy instead, but usually, it's Daddy she asks for.
    As Q-Ball said, if you view a family as baggage, you should not have one at this time. I am a better man for having my family. In every way, they have, and continue to improve both my quality of life, and my interactions with others.
    Is there anything better than coming home from work and having your little girl run to the door to meet you and give you a big hug? Make my day.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I'm a single Father of 3, in my opinion nothing in the world is worth more. Think about it...you bring into the world 3 more voters, raised in a gun friendly environment. That's the key guys...we need to spend at least as much time in the bedroom as on the range and we can breed the anti's out of existence!!!!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Is there anything better than coming home from work and having your little girl run to the door to meet you and give you a big hug?
    Nope, nothing at all. She's 16 months old now, I can only imagine things will get better from here.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Hat's off to you guys. No clue how you do it. None at all.

I'll agree that at some point any child naturally gravitates to both parents equally, perhaps that happens sooner than I thought.

I do however remember an experiment by I believe some guy named Desmond Morris who had the mothers of newborns blindfolded and then their babies were mixed up and all the moms could do was smell them. Something like 8 out of 10 moms pulled it off correctly.

They did the same thing with the fathers and it was something like 3 out of 10.

Now a 3 year old or even a 2 year old, yeah I don't see a difference. But you can't convince me that the natural instinct of at least a newborn isn't to be in the company of its mother. I remember when my own siblings were born for about the first 6 months my dad was worthless as far as they were concerned. Sure they knew who he was but when something was wrong they wanted Mom. Dad would do everything to try to make them stop crying or whatever and it was all for naught. Suddenly, Bam! Mom comes along and the crisis is over.

Now when they were 2 and 3 years old of course, both parents were equally worthless when it came to quelling them.

Personally I've no desire to wind up an aimless drunk, especially not one who is the reason we have interest in CCW. I think what you guys don't understand is that for every one of you there's four or five people who don't succeed at all. Compare it to something lesser: how many people hold down a steady job? Not a lot. I know far more people who drift from place to place than I do people who have the dedication to pursue gainful enterprise of any sort.

I think what you guys don't understand is that for every one of you there's four or five people who don't succeed at all.
    Yes, you're quite right. However, I feel that to be a comment on the worthlessness of people as a whole, not the difficulty or worth of family/parenting life. Success isn't a matter of luck, for the most part, it's a matter of being willing to make the appropriate decisions and sacrifices. I sacrificed much of the last 5 years, working 2 or 3 jobs at a time. I sacrificed my good health for a time, and nearly my sanity, as well. The end result? I own a 1700 sq ft home in Oregon, with no mortgage. At the age of 29. Hard work and dedication yield results. By applying this to family as well as life in general, it can bring about tremendous results. Most people, in my experience, have the intestinal fortitude to do neither. Perhaps a result of the soft life we Americans enjoy, or perhaps the result of government intrusion into the educational process. Whatever the cause, most americans lack the will to suceed at anything, including family life.
    Rant off.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links