No security = happy customers?!

This is a discussion on No security = happy customers?! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, while we're still in the process of rebuilding our boat we live in a motor home. No, it ain't one of those mansions on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No security = happy customers?!

So, while we're still in the process of rebuilding our boat we live in a motor home. No, it ain't one of those mansions on wheels folks. It's an old one!

At any rate the RV Park we're in has been bought by this mega rv park corp called Encore. So far they've managed to pretty much tick off 80% of the people here but that's another story of large corporate policies. The one I'm talking about is this.

In the past we've always had a very bare minimum of "security" which was usually one of the retirees picking up a few extra bucks by riding around the park at night in a golf cart with a radio and cell phone to call the police if something was amiss. Now we are on the edge of Orlando and we all know that major cities are free of crime, right? I've only had a robbery suspect tasered on the fence 30 feet from me, reported drug drops being made across the fence in the adjoining neighborhood, found used syringes tossed across the fence, and reported gunshots in the adjoining neighborhood in the last six months. Then there's the occasional stolen bike. You know, a peaceful and quite place right?

So the new management has informed all of us that they do not have "security" in their parks! No more patrols, such as they were. My friend and neighbor pinned down the new company regional manager on this. (Think female Atilla from the corporate world, you'll get the picture) He was informed that if the company was to have security, that would imply that there was a crime problem. If there's a crime problem then the guests would be uncomfortable during their stay and might not return!

I guess the proverbial ostrich syndrome is alive and well in the corporate rv world.......sigh.

We gotta get our boat finished and get moved on board.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Look at the bright side. They haven't tried to ban firearms within the park.

Want to have fun? Instigate an unofficial group or residents to patrol the park while armed because they don't feel safe. Let them know after you have started the patrols.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

So wait,
    they want someone to be victimized FIRST, before they allow security to continue ?

SMH!!!

talk about putting the carriage before the horse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    He was informed that if the company was to have security, that would imply that there was a crime problem. If there's a crime problem then the guests would be uncomfortable during their stay and might not return!

I guess the proverbial ostrich syndrome is alive and well in the corporate rv world.......sigh.

We gotta get our boat finished and get moved on board.....
    Corporate "bean counters" saving a few bucks on night time security looks good on paper for someone. Though "imply that there was a crime problem" is about the most lame excuse I've ever heard. Can you begin working 24/7 on the boat? I don't know how many residents you have, but you might consider taking turns at night and doing a patrol of sorts. That would be your quickest solution.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    . Though "imply that there was a crime problem" is about the most lame excuse I've ever heard.
    That is actually their rationale and the same one applies at the hotel where I work. Although there are Security Officers , we are to be unarmed and be jolly. Never let a guest think that the hotel or the area might be dangerous and believe me it works. In four years at this place I had only 3 guests ask me for a complete rundown about the security of the neighborhood.
    Our hotel along with several others in the Ft Lauderdale beach area got hit pretty bad after Wilma and were shut down for months for repairs. We had supplies stacked everywhere and management decided it would be a good idea to hire armed security to keep an eye on the supplies at night. All was well until the day of reopening where one guest saw the armed security and asked why we needed him. The armed security was gone less than an hour later and we got stuck with keeping the stuff safe armed with a flashlight an a radio.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

In the past we've always had a very bare minimum of "security" which was usually one of the retirees picking up a few extra bucks by riding around the park at night in a golf cart with a radio and cell phone to call the police if something was amiss. Now we are on the edge of Orlando and we all know that major cities are free of crime, right? I've only had a robbery suspect tasered on the fence 30 feet from me, reported drug drops being made across the fence in the adjoining neighborhood, found used syringes tossed across the fence, and reported gunshots in the adjoining neighborhood in the last six months. Then there's the occasional stolen bike. You know, a peaceful and quite place right?

So the new management has informed all of us that they do not have "security" in their parks! No more patrols, such as they were. My friend and neighbor pinned down the new company regional manager on this. (Think female Atilla from the corporate world, you'll get the picture) He was informed that if the company was to have security, that would imply that there was a crime problem. If there's a crime problem then the guests would be uncomfortable during their stay and might not return!
    "The modern trend appears to be that the foreseeability of a violent crime being perpetrated on a patron is not absolutely dependent upon notice of prior crimes of a similar nature occurring on or near the
    parking facility premises, but may also be determined from all
    the circumstances present." 9 Am.Jur., Proof of Facts 3d, p.
    597, Premises Liability Failure to Protect Parking Facility
    Patron from Criminal Attack (1990).

Given the picture you have drawn of the area, someone is going to make a lawyer very happy sooner or later...

He was informed that if the company was to have security, that would imply that there was a crime problem.
    It's like rain. Decide to own a rain jacket or not; at some point, rain will come. There is crime, whether the corporate mediocrities see it or not. Though, we all know this. Surprising that it can be such a surprise to folks. Horrific that such folks can think "rain" implies anything. It is what it is, and it merely gets you "wet." It's wise to prepare for that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Our hotel along with several others in the Ft Lauderdale beach area got hit pretty bad after Wilma and were shut down for months for repairs. We had supplies stacked everywhere and management decided it would be a good idea to hire armed security to keep an eye on the supplies at night.
    So let me see if I got this straight. Management has no problem hiring armed security to protect their building supplies but will not do it to protect the guests.

Am I missing something?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    That's what first occured to me, too, exactlymypoint. "Hey, we've got a few hundred folks here on vacation, carrying lots of cash, not familiar with the area, and ripe for the pickin'. Let's not protect them. Oh, wait, we've got a few stacks of marble tile laying around? Bring out the big guns!"

If that doesn't tell you EXACTLY how the corporate mindset operates, nothing will.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    If that doesn't tell you EXACTLY how the corporate mindset operates, nothing will.
    You're pretty spot on with that comment.

As a Corporate Security Goon I can tell you that the priority of any Corporation is... not surprisingly... the profitability of the Corporation.

Everything must make business sense. You must be able to show that your expenses generate a profit, or are otherwise necessary to generate a profit elsewhere.

Security almost always generates a lot of complaints. People hate being told what they can and can't do, even if they are on someone else's property. To that end, Security is almost universally loathed by customer service centric Companies. To them, Security is just a money pit that generates problems. They don't look at it as the inexpensive, fast-acting insurance program that it should be viewed as.

Generally, the easiest way to justify a Security program is fire. Insurance companies know that fire is usually caught right away by Security and if I remember right off the top of my head, companies with Security are around 80% less likely to suffer a total loss from fire.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    I also did "resort" security for a while when I first came off of active duty. I was way too interested in actually providing security at first, and butted heads with many of the other "guards." I quickly realized that my military mentality (mission first) was way out of line with corporate policy (money first) as well as the general opinion of the security force (paycheck first, work if you have to), and changed my attitude. I then spent the next few months cruising around on my golf cart, looking for cute tourists/guests who needed "assistance" getting to their destinations...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Well, at least the poorly equipt and certainly poorly trained retired guy in the golf cart wont get himslef hurt.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Call them up acting like you want to rent a spot there or whatever and ask them what type of security they have. When they say they don't have any....say, "Oh, never mind not interested."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    So let me see if I got this straight. Management has no problem hiring armed security to protect their building supplies but will not do it to protect the guests.

Am I missing something?
    You are not missing anything. They are missing any kind of logic whatsoever. I been known to say "If it makes sense it goes against corporate policy."
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

It's the "guests" (aka sheeple) who do not want to be protected..they are afterall, the ones who complain if a guard has a gun, aren't they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links