Real Time Crime

This is a discussion on Real Time Crime within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; While I am reading the forum and watching the hockey game I hear my car alarm go off. I live in an apartment complex and ...

Thread: Real Time Crime

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Real Time Crime

While I am reading the forum and watching the hockey game I hear my car alarm go off. I live in an apartment complex and my car is parked directly in front. I quickly go outside and look to see what set off the alarm hoping to get a glimpse of the scumbag or a cat. The driver's side window is smashed in but nothing appears to be missing. I called the police but they weren't interested unless the steering column was violated. They took a quick report over the phone and will mail me something for my insurance. This kind of thing is so common that they don't even send an officer to investigate. I checked the area but there was no evidence of evidence so I guess I will spend tomorrow getting my glass replaced.

2. Remove Ads

Bummer, do you have any enemies?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

It's sad but the same thing happened to our roommate when we lived in Tempe. Police take a report over the phone and don't really do anything.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Administrator
    There isnt much to do with those anyway.... but I understand your frustration with that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The local PD gives you a DR or an IR for your insurance claim. Unless you're holding the BG down or have witnesses that can ID the guy, what else can they do? Let them go to handle crimes in action!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    The local PD gives you a DR or an IR for your insurance claim. Unless you're holding the BG down or have witnesses that can ID the guy, what else can they do? Let them go to handle crimes in action!
    i have to agree with this one. unless there are a bunch of cops sitting around with nothing to do. i would rather that they spend their time doing more important things (and by important i dont mean sitting in the median talking to their buddy / catching "speeders")
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I agree with everyone else. I feel bad for you but you do need to keep in mind how common break-ins are. It looks like your alarm worked as designed. The window break set it off and sent the BG scurrying. Chalk that one up as a partial win.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Sad But True...

Based upon your own information, what more could a cop do in person that he/she couldn't do over the phone?

Nasty world...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I've had three motorcycles stolen. (No garage, and I don't buy very expensive motorcycles. ) The last time, I didn't even bother asking for an officer to come out. I left for work, saw it was missing, hopped in my car to get to the morning meeting I had, and gave the police report info over the phone while I was driving. Same result, less time with me waiting around.

A friend of mine in Baltimore had his car broken into, window smashed. An officer responded to take the complaint. My buddy pointed out to the officer that there was blood on the broken window glass, thinking samples would be taken from the crime scene. Officer responds, "Yeah, better wear gloves cleaning that up. Never know what the guy might have."

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    (sic)

A friend of mine in Baltimore had his car broken into, window smashed. An officer responded to take the complaint. My buddy pointed out to the officer that there was blood on the broken window glass, thinking samples would be taken from the crime scene. Officer responds, "Yeah, better wear gloves cleaning that up. Never know what the guy might have."
    Indeed. My friends car was broken into, and they tried to steal it but broke the hazards switch working on the ignition. They abandoned the car around the corner (likely since they couldn't turn the hazards off).

My friend had just washed his car. In overcast light, we could see greasy smudge marks and then... five or six full hand prints (by full, I mean clear prints for all four fingers and thumb) on the door they had punched the lock out of. There were also greasy hand prints on the dash, and the column shield they had broken off.

He was told (over the phone by dispatch) that Officers would not take finger prints. When the Officer showed up, he took finger prints, and then told us they'd never be checked. He just wanted to be thorough in case the insurance company gets upset.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    You think their response was bad on a broken window, try adding that a radar detector was stolen as well!

Links