BG Hiding in Church

BG Hiding in Church

This is a discussion on BG Hiding in Church within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi All, Last Thursday, I got a call around 9:30 p.m. that our church had been broken into. Night security guy came through around 9:15 ...

Thread: BG Hiding in Church

BG Hiding in Church

Hi All,

Last Thursday, I got a call around 9:30 p.m. that our church had been broken into. Night security guy came through around 9:15 and found the break-in. I headed out (already dressed, and packing ).

When I arrived, the local PD were already there. An inside door from the lobby(narthex) had taken quite a beating. When that didn't work to gain entry into the offices, they tried to climb through the ceiling tile. When THAT didn't work, they took the pins off the door, and got in.

They took the change in the financial office ($200-400 worth being collected for a special project and not yet counted), but didn't touch the safe or any electronics, or vandalize anything.

No outside doors were touched. That means they had been hiding in another part of the building during the day, until we all left. Last person to leave left about 5:30 and locked everything up.

We are pretty sure we know who did it. She (that's right, she) was in the day before, and had been found in a pretty secluded part of the building which we would normally not check before locking up and going home. She was spotted inside the church again on Thursday, before the burglary was discovered that night.

We patched up the door. Checked out the building (sure was glad to have that Surefire). And are implementing new security procedures in several areas.

My biggest concern is not the money, but people getting hurt. The theft ticked me off. But, it would be too easy for someone to hide in the church, and then attack, knock down some little old lady, take a purse, and be out of there. Some of these folks are so frail it could kill them.

So, just a heads up. Keep your eyes open and be careful. Still trying to figure out how to be compassionate (she said she had just found out she had cancer) and suspicious at the same time.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hidden thieves usually don't have the nerve to confront actual people. I wouldn't worry about it.

ugh, that makes me sick. stealing from a church, common.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post

So, just a heads up. Keep your eyes open and be careful. Still trying to figure out how to be compassionate (she said she had just found out she had cancer) and suspicious at the same time.
    Jeese... the cancer thing. Thats such a common ploy to gain sympathy. I here it every day from con's and the common thief.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Jeese... the cancer thing. Thats such a common ploy to gain sympathy. I here it every day from con's and the common thief.
    The funny thing was, the moment I heard about it, I thought, "Scam."
    Our person who usually helps folks was immediately taken in by it.

One part of me was sad that I was sooo cynical (after years of dealing with people who were taking/trying to take us.

Now? Not sad at all. If I found this woman again...grrr!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    The funny thing was, the moment I heard about it, I thought, "Scam."
    Our person who usually helps folks was immediately taken in by it.

One part of me was sad that I was sooo cynical (after years of dealing with people who were taking/trying to take us.

Now? Not sad at all. If I found this woman again...grrr!
    It ashame that churchs have to deal with this sort of thing. We have one in my town that is excellent to people who need help... but they get scammed daily. If it wasnt so wrong, it would be funny to hear about all the scams and attempted scams pulled. I guess its part of the territory though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Once you help one fraud, you've invited the rest of them to join in. Pretty soon, that's all you'll have.

We don't have a church, just a food ministry (we do meet at a church). We'll have between 40-60 people show up every Saturday. We've had to enact some pretty strict policy concerning helping anyone. We give out food, period. First come, first served and when we're out, we're out.

We can't help with rent, jobs, money, medical bills, car repair, bus tickets, the list is endless. We've found if we stick to our policies things eventually level out. The hardest part is getting the volunteers not to help with anything other than food.

Even with all that, we KNOW that we are being taken advantage of by some of the people that come. They don't really need the food, they want to spend their money on beer or drugs. We figure as long as they keep to our policy, it's not our business it's between them and God.

I'm always armed, my wife is getting better at keeping her gun with her. So far we have not had any problems escalate to violence, but if it happens we're prepared. We usually do a sweep of our space before we lock up, but the building is big and we don't use all of it. I could easily see the scenario you described happening there.

The building we meet in is separate from the church office, but there are some valuables there.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Mike - Your comment about the little old lady is excellent. The sensationalism of certain events such as VT, the Mall and Church shootings gets everyone all in a tizzy about carrying and what can happen. People use these type incidents to justify both gun bans and carrying guns. I really don't worry that much about my two college student daughters when they are in class. I don't worry about me or my wife while we aare in Target, do my best to avoid Wal-Mart. I don't worry about being in church. But daggoneit we have to get there and walk through parking lots, face angry drivers and all the run-of-the-mill stuff we do every day. Call me whatever names you want to but I think I am 10 time as likely to be attacked in the Wal-Mart parking lot as I will be in the store. Same with the mall or church. I suspect that the probability that if anything happens to my daughters at college it will not be in class from a Cho but from some BG whis the are walking to or from class, to eat or whatever, even their dorm room.

We come up with all these wild scenarios trying to justify carrying our .500 DE while absolutely forgfetting about the average crime. I don't remember but in the two church shooting I don't think they happened during the sermon and the hero wasn't sitting in a pew waiting for someone to come charging in the back door.

Rant Off.

Sponsored Links