I've got a new addiction

This is a discussion on I've got a new addiction within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Today I had some free time. My mother was visiting, and I got to leave the wife, daughter, and mother to hang out. I was ...

Thread: I've got a new addiction

I've got a new addiction

Today I had some free time. My mother was visiting, and I got to leave the wife, daughter, and mother to hang out. I was driving around thinking about where to spend my time. I was suppose to take the wife to the rifle range, but it was to cold. Like I said before. Since it was cold I got to get some free time.

Well I decided to go to Gander Mnt. I noticed they had an archery range. I was wanting to get a crossbow to extend my hunting next year, but was recommended that I try a compound bow first. I did, and I think I am hooked. I was hitting the 8 ring after a few shots, and some pointers. I was really having a good time. It was like going to the gym, but shooting... :)

My wife has been good to me, and letting me expand my new/revisited hobbies. She has even supported by buying me a new deer rifle for Christmas. But this time she said that I would have to sell a pistol if I wanted to get the bow before next year. Ugh!

With the cold coming/hear I think I am going to just save the money up, or do I sell my 9mm and get to back yard archery?

Anyway. The compound bow was a delight to shoot, and seemed very natural to me. Maybe because I am Cherokee.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Do not sell your gun to buy a bow. Save your money and get one.
    Do not sell you gun to buy a bow.

One more time...DO NOT sell your gun to get a bow.

Save your money, buy the bow and enjoy both.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Get you a part time job and save up to buy the bow and all the accessories. Never sell a decent gun. Guns are your 401k that you can play with.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Never sell a decent gun. Guns are your 401k that you can play with.
    Ditto!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Go to your local pawn shop and look at the bows there. There are TONS of people who buy a bow, carry it in the field two or three times, and then hawk it after the season is over - and never pick it up. The last pawn shop I was in had at least 6 like new compound bows on the wall, and a dozen more actually in hawk.

Administrator
    Archery is a lot of fun, I had the same addiction once too. I traded that addiction for sporting clays and other shotgun sports. I dont know which one is worse.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Our local Pawn shops always have dozens of compounds. Good place to pick one up I'd assume.

I have been shooting archery for over 25 years. I slowed down during the last 5 years though. I just got a brand new Hoyt Vectrix for Christmas. WOW the technology has really improved over the last 25 years. I used to have to pull a 90 lb bow to get the same arrow speed I can now get with only 70 lbs.

I think it improves my shooting skill as well. Itís like shooting a slow gun (hahaha). I can see any mistake I make when the arrow flies a little funny or doesnít hit the 10 ring.

I just bought my daughters bows too. They are loving it. My 13 YO is very good . Itís a lot of fun watching them become better shooters.

Congratulations on your new found sport.

yer better off selling a .380 to buy a .22 mag instead...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    Having owned an archery shop before I would not recommend going to a pawn shop. Go to a dealer that knows what they are doing. The bow needs to be fitted to the customer. Draw length, draw weight, proper tuning of the bow, proper arrow selection to match draw length/draw weight. You won't get those things from a pawn shop. You may save a few dollars on the bow purchase, but take it to a dealer to have those things fixed and you will pay for it. Buy from a dealer and it is included in the price of the bow.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    yer better off selling a .380 to buy a .22 mag instead...
    NO ARTZ, DON'T DO IT! We've all ready covered that one!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Having owned an archery shop before I would not recommend going to a pawn shop. Go to a dealer that knows what they are doing. The bow needs to be fitted to the customer. Draw length, draw weight, proper tuning of the bow, proper arrow selection to match draw length/draw weight. You won't get those things from a pawn shop. You may save a few dollars on the bow purchase, but take it to a dealer to have those things fixed and you will pay for it. Buy from a dealer and it is included in the price of the bow.
    Dittos on the above. You will not get a good bow in a pawn shop. Stick with a proshop that will set you up properly. Better yet go traditional with a long bow or recurve and shoot without sights. Takes practice but there is nothing like taking a deer with a long bow and they are like carrying nothing. I bet my long bow does not even weigh one lb.

But alas I cannot practice any more and have a prescription for a crossbow. It's much heaver but easier to shoot turkeys with because you don't have to draw it. If I could I would much prefer shooting and carrying the long bow.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I am not going to sell the pistol. After stepping back and looking at it from all angles. The gun STAYS!!!

I will save up and get a bow in a bit.

Sixto, man that clay shooting is really striking a nerve as well.

Thanks for the input everyone.

crossbow purchuse

Quote Originally Posted by *SA-XD4ME* View Post
    Today I had some free time. My mother was visiting, and I got to leave the wife, daughter, and mother to hang out. I was driving around thinking about where to spend my time. I was suppose to take the wife to the rifle range, but it was to cold. Like I said before. Since it was cold I got to get some free time.

Well I decided to go to Gander Mnt. I noticed they had an archery range. I was wanting to get a crossbow to extend my hunting next year, but was recommended that I try a compound bow first. I did, and I think I am hooked. I was hitting the 8 ring after a few shots, and some pointers. I was really having a good time. It was like going to the gym, but shooting... :)

My wife has been good to me, and letting me expand my new/revisited hobbies. She has even supported by buying me a new deer rifle for Christmas. But this time she said that I would have to sell a pistol if I wanted to get the bow before next year. Ugh!

With the cold coming/hear I think I am going to just save the money up, or do I sell my 9mm and get to back yard archery?

Anyway. The compound bow was a delight to shoot, and seemed very natural to me. Maybe because I am Cherokee.
    you cant sell you pistol, id like to see the holster you buy
    to cc the crossbow,lol. no im in the same boat,i would love to
    get a bow for hunting or just plain target practice.lots of fun.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

When I got my crossbow I sold my compound bow. I did keep my Martin Hatfield recurve bow with 70 lb and 55 lb limbs. I also kept my Chadwick custom 50 lb longbow. My daughter has been shooting my recurve and took it hunting this year and I figure my son will some day be able to shoot either one of them. As for me I've resigned myself to having to shoot the crossbow. It's not as much fun as traditional archery but with a crank I can still hunt with it. I just can't practice like I need to, to shoot the traditional equipment properly.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Links