Banks- 'No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses' Policy...

This is a discussion on Banks- 'No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses' Policy... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; They really think this will work? FOXNews.com - Bankers Association Wants 'No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses' Policy - Local News | News Articles | ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banks- 'No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses' Policy...

VIP Member

Banks- 'No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses' Policy...

They really think this will work?

FOXNews.com - Bankers Association Wants 'No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses' Policy - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
    Bankers Association Wants 'No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses' Policy

Responding to a more than one-third hike in bank robbery, the Florida Bankers Association is urging its members to adopt new rules.

Not additional guards or cameras, but a dress code for customers.

The group rolled out a "No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses" program, which includes lobby signs asking customers to remove those items before approaching a teller.

Those who refuse would be directed to an area with more security or a more experienced teller.

"Bankers aren't just going to hope robbers won't come," FBA president Alex Sanchez said. "The 'No Hats' program is one more layer of protection for banks, employees and bank customers."

The dress code is optional, and some banks say they have no plans to adopt it. Wachovia, among the largest banks in Florida, is one of them.

"We realize and recognize that there are circumstances, such as religious traditions, that might make this offensive to some of our customers," Wachovia spokeswoman Kathy Harrison said.

Florida was ninth in the country for bank robberies in 2006, with 265. That number climbed to 361 robberies last year, in which more than $2.4 million was swiped.

The FBA says some 40 percent of all bank robberies involve some kind of facial disguise: masks, helmets or other head coverings.

"While it may take some time for customers to become accustomed to it, once they understand it is for the safety of bank employees and for customers like themselves, they will be more willing to participate," said FBA spokeswoman Renee Thompson.

It has worked in other states. Missouri, for example, reportedly saw a 47 percent drop in bank heists after adopting it in 2002.

"We believe we'll see immediate benefits," said Rick Lee, FBA chairman and president of Citizens Bank of Florida in Oviedo.
    I'm sorry but, this works about as well as no-guns signs.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

This makes about as much sense as braille at an ATM drive through.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I've seen a branch near me that has such a sign up, and it definitely irked me, but in a way it makes sense. I'd like to see a more detailed take in the Missouri statistics, though. It also seems like a less intrusive policy than another branch I use, which has metal detectors inside the airlock-style entryway, with separately locking doors so that suspicious folks can be trapped inside the entry vestibule. Inner door won't unlock until outer door is closed, so it is leiterally impossible to put more than, say, two people through the doors at a time.

Numerous banks here apply this - it's only purpose is to allow better security camera pics to aid better ID after the fact. Banks = Where the money is...........
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I can't remember the last time I actually went inside of a bank.

Now I remember why.....

My bank has this posted on the door. I'm still in a free country, and I'll still wear my hat inside. Nobody has asked me to leave yet. Yes---I'm also carrying when I'm inside my bank.

Great, so now we'll have to work on a law that requires banks to provide safe storage for such dangerous objects as hats, sunglasses and hooded jackets.

Maybe it's time to start banking by mail. I used to like the personal touch, but this is getting a little too personal for my likings.

I wear a hat and flip up sunglasses because I'm light sensitive, not because I plan on robbing the place. If I wear a jacket it's because it's cold out. Geez.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Laugh but I bet it will cause a measurable reduction amongst banks that do it.

These people generally do not want to get caught and are also pretty nervous on the way up to the teller. Rare is the robbery where the criminals come in shooting and screaming "Give me all your money!" Usually it is someone with a disguise of some sort (hat, dark glasses, etc.) who passes a note to a teller. Any chance of confrontation prior to making it to the teller may cause more than one of these guys to call it off.

Oh, I see the point to some degree. I always pay more attention when I see someone obviously trying to hide their appearance.

My issue is where does it stop? Why don't they just make us go in there naked? That way they can identify any scars, birth marks or tattoos. Using that same logic nude banking may be in our future.

Just think about the advantage the LEO's and the lawyers would have if there was a visual record of exact scars, birthmarks, tattoos etc., that will go a long way towards making a positive identification - right? It will keep our money safer too because thieves will be easily identifiable and will avoid the banks. Heck, it may even save a life, I bet we can sell this

Think back to how our constitution has lost it's teeth over they years. The laws that changed happened a little at a time, disguised as something else.

Yeah, I admit I have a real issue with this kind of stuff. It really gets me upset to think that people can now govern the cloths I wear and we're accepting it with open arms.

Someone here has a tag line that says; “Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security” and boy do I agree...

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    They really think this will work?

FOXNews.com - Bankers Association Wants 'No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses' Policy - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

I'm sorry but, this works about as well as no-guns signs.
    i agree,sorry bg but you cant rob us,this bank is a gun free zone.
    we aplogize for any inconvinense.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    My issue is where does it stop? Why don't they just make us go in there naked? That way they can identify any scars, birth marks or tattoos. Using that same logic nude banking may be in our future.
    That is a straw man. The issue is whether asking people to show their face will cause a reduction of bank robberies. If you are arguing that showing one's face will lead to mandatory disrobing then that would be the logic fallacy called 'slippery slope.'

Think back to how our constitution has lost it's teeth over they years. The laws that changed happened a little at a time, disguised as something else.
    The Consitution is as it always was with the addition of Constitutionally added Amendments. It has the 'teeth' it has always had.

Yeah, I admit I have a real issue with this kind of stuff. It really gets me upset to think that people can now govern the cloths I wear and we're accepting it with open arms.
    No one is proposing a law that requires you to take off your hoodie. You are free to bank elsewhere, by mail, by ATM, by phone or by the internet. From the story, you will not be asked to leave, only stand in the 'hoodie/hat line,' which will have increased security.

Personally, I think it is a very good idea. Bank robbery is not infrequent in Tucson and identifying suspects is very important in their capture, This policy will certainly be a deterrent.
    Last edited by SelfDefense; January 21st, 2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Gentlemen should not wear a hat indoors to start with and yes that includes your baseball cap. If you want to be treated like one then act like one. Everyone wants to run around with a gun on their hip like in the old west but at least cowboys knew to take their hat off inside.

"Bankers aren't just going to hope robbers won't come," FBA president Alex Sanchez said. "The 'No Hats' program is one more layer of protection for banks, employees and bank customers."
    Great...didn't know "no hats" was an actual layer of protection....if you wear more than one hat or have one in your jacket, is it a high-capacity assault hat? Afterall, you should only be allowed one hat at a time.

One hat a month program?

If I get one with a propeller, will it get me a more experienced teller?

Heck, for that reason alone I'd wear a hat as long as I get good customer service.

...and what exactly do they mean by "extra security"?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Nude banking? Only if the tellers join in. My bank has some nice ones.

VIP Member
    This policy may help prevent the non-violent bank robber. The kind that comes in without a fuss & some type of disguise, who pass a note & leave with little fuss. They however aren't the ones I fear. The ones I worry about are the North Hollywood shootout types. The ones that don't care what happens to the innocents involved.

Look at it another way. What happens when a place with valuables, in this case banks with money, changes their security? The BG knows where the money is & now it is may be harder to get.....So what do they do? They find another way to get to what they want. The BGs will now either go elsewhere or change tactics.....That change could well be an escalation of violence. BGs will always be attracted to banks, SINCE THAT IS WHERE THE MONEY IS!

In the mean time, ALL the customers will be treated as suspects.... which I guess isn't all that different than what a lot of us do when we 'see' a possible threat. Our radar goes off & we plan a response in case the worst occurs.

I don't wear hoodies & when I go inside, I take my sun glasses off....mainly because there's no sun shining in my eyes while indoors. I don't usually remove my hat, unless I'm going inside a church or someone's home.....if it's a business, the hat stays on.

I don't have a problem if a bank were to have a man-lock door system (none I've ever been in have them.), but to be pushed to a 'special' lane due to dress is a little ridiculous. How long do you think that will go on until somebody shouts......PROFILING!.......?

If you want to reduce bank robberies...Why not have machine gun carrying, body armor clad security? If banks were so worried about robberies, that's what they would do.....instead of measures that only give the feeling on security.
    Last edited by goawayfarm; January 21st, 2008 at 08:59 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links