Life After People

This is a discussion on Life After People within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What a load of tripe. 'Life After People' is the title of the History channel's new 'documentary.' It glorifies the liberal dream of minimizing the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life After People

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Life After People

What a load of tripe.

'Life After People' is the title of the History channel's new 'documentary.' It glorifies the liberal dream of minimizing the human 'carbon footprint.' You can literally hear the glee of the commentators as they describe the 'havoc man has caused' on the environment and how without man, Earth would revert to the 'natural' state in which plants and amimals thrived without human intervention. Special effects of our bridges collapsing and our grand structures falling, overrun with 'natural' plants and animals highlighted this disgusting example of liberal nirvana. Roads morphing into rivers and the thrill of our poor concrete structures eventually hiding every advance man has made excited the narrator.

All in all it was a disgusting display of nonsensical proportions.

The final point was sheer stupidity. They hypothesized that the electromagmatic radiation will emit (tv/radio...) will dissipate within a light year, leaving no trace man ever existed.

Of course, the end showed some primates using primitive tools as they guessed what might replace humans. And then they decided that it was just random chance that as humans we could contemplate the cosmos.

All in all, the show was a complete waste of time although it did provide insight into the Mother Gaia cult.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Saw the promo for this .......... good excuse I guess for ''them'' to play out their fantasies!

Gotta fill airwaves with something
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    I thought it looked kinda neat, but I wasnt thinking of the Gore syndrom slant on it though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    'Life After People' is the title of the History channel's new 'documentary.' It glorifies the liberal dream of minimizing the human 'carbon footprint.' ...

The final point was sheer stupidity. They hypothesized that the electromagmatic radiation will emit (tv/radio...) will dissipate within a light year, leaving no trace man ever existed.

All in all, the show was a complete waste of time although it did provide insight into the Mother Gaia cult.
    I did not see the show. But the existence of humanity on planet earth AND the carbon footprint that the existence of humanity has on planet earth is utterly inconsequential. We really not aught to think too highly of ourselves. That is, in the long run, all is vanity. In enough time, with the lifecycle of stars, our sun (a star) will engulf earth if earth keeps the same orbit. The only hope that we (as a species) can propagate our DNA is to colonize other planets (colonization has had its place in the history of the human animal on planet earth. Who's to say it is not valid for places extending planet earth.).

And the hypothesis of the "waves" (tv/radio) that are telltale signs of our existence are finite makes sense to me. Our astronomers are searching for a "proof of intelligent life" outside our little solar system. And that is done by monitoring "waves". Echoes of the past.

IMO, it is not nonsensical. We are not as important as we think we are. It is nonsensical to think that we are uber important and are not held bound by the physical realities we exist in.

Heck, this is the Off Topic & Humor section. Humor me.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    It looks entertaining,albeit farfetched at best,and probable stupid ideologies and fantasies,....I haven't watched it yet.

My TV is very often on History,Discorvery, TLC,...etc,love them

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    What a load of tripe.

'Life After People' is the title of the History channel's new 'documentary.' It glorifies the liberal dream of minimizing the human 'carbon footprint.' You can literally hear the glee of the commentators as they describe the 'havoc man has caused' on the environment and how without man, Earth would revert to the 'natural' state in which plants and amimals thrived without human intervention. Special effects of our bridges collapsing and our grand structures falling, overrun with 'natural' plants and animals highlighted this disgusting example of liberal nirvana. Roads morphing into rivers and the thrill of our poor concrete structures eventually hiding every advance man has made excited the narrator.

Of course, the end showed some primates using primitive tools as they guessed what might replace humans. And then they decided that it was just random chance that as humans we could contemplate the cosmos.

I was just going to post a thread on this same show but you beat me to it.

I must say, your take on it is way, waaaay different than mine. And believe me, no one has ever accused me of being liberal or a tree hugger in any way. I hunt, fish and have been told that I am a good bit to the right of Michael Savage.

I liked the show and honestly my wife and I didn't pay much attention to the narrator or the "experts" they had on the show. (how someone can be an expert in an event that has yet to happen is hard to fathom)

The reason I liked the show was the modern ruins aspect of it. You see, I am a lover of modern ruins. I love to find a building, industrial site, factory, or other modern structure that has been abandoned for some time and I like to go in and explore. I am fascinated by the way a modern structure goes from being a vibrant and useful structure to an abandoned ruin in a short amount of time because people no longer keep the structure in good repair.

There is an old elementary school near our home that has been abandoned for about 15 years that I am dieing to get inside and look around. Not far from there there is an old metal fabrication industrial site that I am also aching to explore.

A perfect vacation trip for me would be a trip to Pripyat in Russia. It was briefly featured on the show tonight. A modern city abandoned after the Nuclear disaster at Chernobyl and now 20 year later, it is being reclaimed by nature. It is fascinating to see. It is the biggest modern ruin that there is.

pripyat web site

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    It looks entertaining,albeit farfetched at best,and probable stupid ideologies and fantasies,....I haven't watched it yet.
    It isn't that far fetched at all. Our time on this planet is insignificant in the extreme. The odds are that sooner or later, something is going to happen that will either wipe us out or drastically alter the sway we hold over the planet. As I said, I am not a tree hugger, I am a realist. Be it the scenario that the movie "I am Legend" is based on, a virus or other disease engineered by us, or be it some type of outside force, ie. comet or meteor impact or be it a natural disaster such as the eruption of the super volcano under Yellow Stone National Park, something may indeed take us out. And if it does, nature will absolutely reclaim every square inch of the planet we have changed for our own purposes.

And the thing there at the end about our radio waves diffusing with distance from the planet is completely accurate. I am a television engineer. Radio waves do indeed diffuse with distance. Not only that, they are so low power when compared to the RF (radio frequency) noise level of the universe that it is entirely possible that by the time the transmissions reach the nearest star that they would be almost completely lost in the background noise of the universe.

And remember, December 21, 2012 is not that far off. Don't know what that means, Google the date, you'll see that there is a whole belief system geared around 12/21/12. Personally, I don't buy into it at all.

I didn't really pick up any liberal slant to the show. Maybe you were expecting one and heard what you expected.

I liked the show.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; January 22nd, 2008 at 01:10 AM.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Oh yeah? I have a HUGE abandoned ammunition factory within a mile of my house... its way cool. Its been empty for years. It is kind of sad to watch it crumble though, the town that was built around it continues to thrive in its own way though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Can you actually go onto the site and look around with out being arrested for trespassing? That would be a lot of fun.

The crumbling is what makes it a modern ruins site. It is the crumbling that is the fascinating aspect of it all.

Tell me more. PM me if you want.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    PM sent, I didnt want to hijack
    "Just blame Sixto"

When all of us people are gone, there will still be the cockroach, coyote, and the tumbleweed. True survivors!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Administrator
    I made it a point to watch it. I thought it was interesting but, kinda dumb. It was a modest let-down.
    A lot of the same footage shown over and over again.
    They could have easily cut the length of it in half.
    I thought it was worth seeing to pass the time though but, I'm glad I didn't pay to see it at the theater though some Junior Mints and some popcorn would have made it better.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    I am actually reading a book called The World Without Us.

It doesn't talk about other animals rising to take our place or anything like that. It is just what will happen to all the stuff we built if we are gone.

The author went to Chernobyll and the DMZ'z between the Koera's and on Cyprus. Its pretty interesting like New York City will flood from underneath (they have to pump 127 million gallons of ground water out of the subways a day)

Just a neat book, plus he says that the Earth will never return like it was before us even if there was no more us.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

At least there won't be any more liberals!
    Last edited by swiftyjuan; January 22nd, 2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: put in punctuation
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    I watched it, mostly for the CGI of green stuff growing on buildings and so on. I was so hoping for a Planet of the Apes moment where you'd come across a beach and the Statue of Liberty.

I didn't like the impossible scenario of people just disappearing like they were all beamed off by aliens. I'd like a more plausible extinction like nuclear war or disease. But I suppose it would've been too gross to describe how the starving family dog had to eat little Timmy's decomposing remains to survive.

As for everything going back to nature, I don't think it was a liberal carbon footprint thing, I think that's how it would be. Our buildings would eventually crumble and get covered up by plants. I have a heckuva time just keeping the crabgrass out of the cracks of my pavers.

There Will Come Soft Rains
    by Sarah Teasdale, 1920

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
    And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;
    And frogs in the pool singing at night,
    And wild plum trees in tremulous white;
    Robins will wear their feathery fire,
    Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;
    And not one will know of the war, not one
    Will care at last when it is done.
    Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
    If mankind perished utterly;
    And Spring herself when she woke at dawn
    Would scarcely know that we were gone.

Google the Ray Bradbury transcipt of his short story version of "There Will Come Soft Rains."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I'd agree with betty. I didn't watch it, but I figured it would be nothing more than a take on what would happen minus people, not something from the liberal masses. I wish I would have caught it on, my favorite books are all post apocolypse and the like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links