OC Spray in Mexico?

This is a discussion on OC Spray in Mexico? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi, We are planning a trip to Mexico and I was wondering if it is legal to carry OC spray in Mexico. Also, what are ...

Thread: OC Spray in Mexico?

OC Spray in Mexico?

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Mexico and I was wondering if it is legal to carry OC spray in Mexico. Also, what are the airlines/customs regulations about packing it.

Anyone out there know?

Thanks

Steve
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

2. Remove Ads

You really need to check out this site. It will save you alot of trouble. I love the internet!
    Pepper Spray Law - What You Need to Know

What's the answer? Does anyone have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You really need to check out this site. It will save you alot of trouble. I love the internet!
    Pepper Spray Law - What You Need to Know
    Interesting site, thanks. I didn't see the answer to any of my questions, though.

Steve
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.

I travel a lot in Mexico both as a consultant, guide and on personal vacations. (Like 2-3 months a year) There are numerous roadblocks throughout the country manned by the military. They are equipped by the USA - fatigues, Hummers, the whole nine yards and manned by the Mexican Army. These roadblocks are looking for drugs and weapons. Specifically, guns, ammo, and drugs.

I always carry a knife with a 3-1/2" blade and I have carried really small containers of pepper spray labeled as dog deterrent a few times. Dogs are a problem in Mexico, and I figure that if I'm asked then the dog explanation might work. (I've never been asked) I carry a spear gun often. BTW, I have been searched at these checkpoints hundreds of times and have never been treated unfairly by the soldiers. They are totally straight up in their operation. If you carry a knife, carry it in your pocket and don't bring attention to it. I have never been body searched. I always bring some fishing gear with me if I have a knife, and snorkel gear if I have the spear gun. If you are flying to Cancun, there will be a roadblock on every highway a few miles out. When I returned from Southern Baja two weeks ago I was stopped six times in Mexico and fairly thoroughly searched three times. As a contrast, I was searched at the border by US agents and stopped briefly at the Border Patrol checkpoint on I-8. The Mexicans seem do a much more thorough job of intercepting drugs than we do here in the USA.

TSA regulations allow you to carry a small (4 oz or less) pepper spray checked in your luggage, so you won't get hassled flying out. Where you might have problems is when you go through Mexican customs. If you do decide to bring it, put it in your shaving bag along with your razor and toiletries. FWIW, hairspray is a good alternative to pepper spray. Very irritating if sprayed in the eyes.

I have also seen pepper spray for sale in Mexico, and knives are available everywhere, so you might consider flying down without them and buying locally.

I have only had one bad incident in Mexico, when I was a kid hitchhiking down there. I got mugged and relieved of all my possessions by a couple of speed freaks from California. I was befriended by a Mexican local who arranged for me to ride out with some dove hunters who were driving to Arizona the next day. I learned my lesson well - look out for those Californians....

One more thing - people in the US are fairly wary of Mexico due to the numerous reports of violence and crime coming from there. Most of the violence is related to the drug cartels, who are in a serious battle with the federal police right now. There are very few reports of tourists having problems.

My best rules - Do not travel the highways at night. If you hit a stray cow, it might kill you, and almost all of the impersonation type robberies happen at night. (some local yokels put a light bar on a old car and stop people - you can't tell if it's a legit policeman or not until it's too late.)

Don't take unlicensed taxis. (You can tell them apart) If you are driving, be very mindful of speed limits, stopping completely at stop signs, etc. (even if nobody else is doing it) Sometimes the local police will try to shake someone down, but they won't unless you do something wrong first. (Just like small-town America)

Don't take a bunch of cash.Take a ATM card that works with Cirrus and Pulse networks and get small amounts from ATM's.

I carry two wallets. I save some of those fake credit cards I'm sent every week by card promotions, and some other old id's and stuff like that. I carry a wallet with that stuff in one pocket, and the real one in another. I use the fake one for my day to day transactions, so it's usually got $30-$40 in it. If I am ever robbed, I'll give them the fake one and not sweat it too much. Hasn't happened yet, though.

Interesting site, thanks. I didn't see the answer to any of my questions, though.
    This is directly from that site, directly from the page the link takes you to. As for the Mexico deal---might just do some searching on your own there. That way I'm only doing half the legwork (or keyboard work as it were). Thanks

Places Where You Can Never Carry Pepper Spray
    Is there anyplace where I can never carry my pepper spray? Yes. You cannot carry pepper spray on board commercial aircraft. This is a Federal crime that can carry up to a $25,000 dollar fine. It is ok to carry pepper spray in your checked baggage although it is highly advisable that you notify the ticketing agent when you check your baggage. Also since 9/11/01 you may have issues when carrying pepper spray into secured locations such as a Federal buildings, State buildings or anyplace where you pass through a security checkpoint. Although there are no laws that we are aware of you should use your common sense here.

Some good advice. Thanks to all.

Steve

Thanks Libertarian5 for all the info and GREAT idea regarding a fake wallet

Links