Road to Perdition

This is a discussion on Road to Perdition within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Saw that movie the other day. Great movie up until that one line at the end: "and that was the last time I ever held ...

Thread: Road to Perdition

Road to Perdition

Saw that movie the other day. Great movie up until that one line at the end:

"and that was the last time I ever held a gun"

is Hanks anti-gun?
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    IIRC, yes.

To me it was his way of fulfilling his fathers unspoken wish to get him out of the 'business'. The gun was the obvious connection to the organized crime gang... and the source of many bad memories for the kid via the death of loved ones etc. Not everyone comes out of traumatic situations in tact.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Weird... I was just thinking about watching this movie today.

That does sound like a typical anti-gun line. Enh, I don't really like Tom Hanks anymore, anyway.

1943 - 2009
    "and that was the last time I ever held a gun"
    While that was simply a line of movie dialogue, in his off-screen life, Tom Hanks is, in fact, anti-gun. He's a big contributor to the Brady Campaign as well as other anti-gun organizations.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    While that was simply a line of movie dialogue, in his off-screen life, Tom Hanks is, in fact, anti-gun. He's a big contributor to the Brady Campaign as well as other anti-gun organizations.
    Figures. He strikes me as a touchy feely liberal type.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

What about saving private ryan???
    Band of brothers?

those are very right wing movie/tv show.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    What about saving private ryan???
    Band of brothers?
    They're films, and he's in the entertainment business. That's about as far as the correlation goes, IMO.

So far as I can tell, any "link" with one or more social positions is mere happenstance, as he's done everything from Joe vs The Volcano and those strange Turner & Hooch films to Saving Private Ryan and documentary type films.[/QUOTE] One can no more say he's anti-semitic for the Jewish/Celtic/Roman "belittling" in Volcano than saying he's a gun freak for Private Ryan. Right or left wing? Can't tell, merely because of the films he's done.

As for Road To Perdition, it is a very good story. For all the bullets and killing, it's really not a story about guns or crime. It's about a boy's coming of age, viewed from his perspective, while learning the truth about his father, the Mob, the depression, the value of simple love from simple folk. Well worth watching.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I swear some people on our side blow things out of proportion... Here is a question, was John Wayne's THE SHOOTIST anti gun? Ron Howard throws away his gun at the end and Wayne nods his approval. Howard then goes walking off with his mother who was very much against guns.

I think the ending of the RTP was simply that the father didn't want his son going down the path he did and taking a life was a big part of that.

While Hanks certainly has his politics he is not in your face about them and keeps his acting about acting. If anything I wish more of Hollywood was like him

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    To me it was his way of fulfilling his fathers unspoken wish to get him out of the 'business'.

My take on it too,

I have it on DVD, I guess now that it's been brought up, I'll have to watch it tonight, I"ll be thinking about it the rest of the afternoon.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

regardless of his politics, there's no denying that was a great movie. his last scene with paul newman was absolutely brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    As for Road To Perdition, it is a very good story. For all the bullets and killing, it's really not a story about guns or crime. It's about a boy's coming of age, viewed from his perspective, while learning the truth about his father, the Mob, the depression, the value of simple love from simple folk. Well worth watching.
    +1

Loved the soundtrack, which was very similiar to 1999's AMERICAN BEAUTY (same composer).

Don't forget Tom Hanks in the timeless 1989 classic THE 'BURBS.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

The graphic novel was pretty interesting to go back and read. In it, the boy grows up to be a priest which the movie didn't show... that makes the last line and a couple other things make more sense.

Links