Lets say Sixto carries out a search warrant at my house...

This is a discussion on Lets say Sixto carries out a search warrant at my house... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; He and Sgt Mac cut up my matresses, tear up my concrete floors and drywall looking for jimmy hoffa or drug money because I'm a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets say Sixto carries out a search warrant at my house...

He and Sgt Mac cut up my matresses, tear up my concrete floors and drywall looking for jimmy hoffa or drug money because I'm a suspected dealer. If they find nothing, who pays the bill for re-construction? (because in reality my most serious crimes are j-walking and not always bringing my trashcans in from the curb the same day) Does it make a difference they do find evidence?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    You do, because if they are there, your guilty and they will find the evidence.

who pays the bill for re-construction?
    Your insurance company of course!

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    You do, because if they are there, your guilty and they will find the evidence.
    Don't know about that. I've read of planty of warrants carried out with no evidence found. Even seen some on "cops." Maybe a bad tip from some scumbag desperate to make a deal? Don't know how it happens, only that it does.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well, I am in no position to give an authoritative answer, but my guess would be the PD or the municipal gov't would settle on it, provided you waive your right to sue for anything else.

Or they could just all over you and let your insurance suck it up.

If Sixto and Mac both have to come to your house to execute that warrant, what makes you think you will live to tell about it!

Lex et Libertas ó Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

In most jurisdictions, if a legal warrant was issued, the police are exempt for damages done (and they're usually extensive).

Administrator
    I’ve had it go both ways… but then again we really don’t tear stuff up unless we really have to. I would have to have some pretty good info to tear up floors etc.
    I have had searches that don’t turn up squat, and the city/county didn’t pay out a dime, and I’ve found the “mother load” and the city took care of all damages. I don’t know what the rhyme or reason is to it.
    The city is not liable to reasonable damages that happen during a search, but I guess sometimes its cheaper and easier to just fix a door instead of fighting in court over it.
    I just had one recently that a renter refused to open a locked heavily reinforced interior door for us… so I torn a hole in the wall. Yes, that’s where the stash was. The guys lawyer asked for us to pay damages to the property owner, and the judge laughed him out of the courtroom.
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 23rd, 2008 at 02:49 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    FWIW, searchs are not fishing trips... we know what we are looking for and why, and must explain this to a judge to get a warrant. A ton of work goes into it before a house is hit. I can detail all of it, but it takes awhile to do it right.
    Also If I'm looking for an stolen elephant, I cant go looking in your underwear drawer for an elephant, or tear up your nice hardwood floors because there might be a elephant under them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sure wish the same standards applied to vessels on the water!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Iíve had it go both waysÖ but then again we really donít tear stuff up unless we really have to. I would have to have some pretty good info to tear up floors etc.
    I have had searches that donít turn up squat, and the city/county didnít pay out a dime, and Iíve found the ďmother loadĒ and the city took care of all damages. I donít know what the rhyme or reason is to it.
    The city is not liable to reasonable damages that happen during a search, but I guess sometimes its cheaper and easier to just fix a door instead of fighting in court over it.
    I just had one recently that a renter refused to open a locked heavily reinforced interior door for usÖ so I torn a hole in the wall. Yes, thatís where the stash was. The guys lawyer asked for us to pay damages to the property owner, and the judge laughed him out of the courtroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    FWIW, searchs are not fishing trips... we know what we are looking for and why, and must explain this to a judge to get a warrant. A ton of work goes into it before a house is hit. I can detail all of it, but it takes awhile to do it right.
    Also If I'm looking for an stolen elephant, I cant go looking in your underwear drawer for an elephant, or tear up your nice hardwood floors because there might be a elephant under them.
    Interesting, I don't suppose that I'll ever need to know that, but I'm a curious fellow. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Sure wish the same standards applied to vessels on the water!
    + 1! We're sailers too......and know exactly what you mean!

The taxpayers always pay.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I thought the Po Po ALWAYS came out of the house with evidence.

Not that it absolutely, positively HAD to be there BEFORE they got there...

(just joking, Sixto, and other LEO's - - really, there are hoops through which to jump and court oversight with which to deal...pretty rare , IME, for the police to NEED to plant stuff to get a case...)
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Administrator
    There has been a few times I walked away from a search empty handed... I know what they were doing, they knew it, but they got lucky and got away with it for that day. In each case that we swung and missed, we were able to skin the proverbial cat another way everytime.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links