Families of gunman, victims meet at the pastor’s office

This is a discussion on Families of gunman, victims meet at the pastor’s office within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Top Stories: Families of victims, shooter meet at New Life Church | boyd, murray, life - Gazette.com At New Life, a chance to model forgiveness ...

Thread: Families of gunman, victims meet at the pastor’s office

Families of gunman, victims meet at the pastor’s office

Top Stories: Families of victims, shooter meet at New Life Church | boyd, murray, life - Gazette.com

At New Life, a chance to model forgiveness

By BRIAN NEWSOME
    THE GAZETTE
    January 8, 2008 - 6:55AM

"In a cathartic exchange of tears and hugs, the families of New Life Church shooter Matthew Murray and the two girls he killed met Thursday at the place where it all happened.

The meeting was quietly organized by New Life Senior Pastor Brady Boyd as a way for the families to begin to heal after the Dec. 9 shooting.

Murray, 24, killed two people at Youth with a Mission in Arvada, then drove to New Life, killing 18-year-old Stephanie Works and her 16-year-old sister Rachel.

He wounded several others at the two locations.

“As Christians, we can talk philosophically about forgiveness and redemption, but I saw it modeled in a way I’ve never seen it this week,” Boyd said Monday.

Before the meeting, Boyd retraced Matthew Murray’s steps for his parents and younger brother on the church grounds, from where he parked his car to inside the church, where he killed himself after being shot.

Later, Boyd set up a meeting in his office with the two families.

He said Ron and Loretta Murray and David and Marie Works tearfully told stories of their children and grieved over the tragedy.

They later were introduced to Jeanne Assam, the security guard credited with taking down Murray.

The Murrays, Boyd said, had every right to feel “ashamed” and “embarrassed” and the Works to feel “mad and angry and resentful,” but instead they put such emotions aside.

“It makes me know that what I preach on Sundays is true,” he said.

Ron Murray repeatedly apologized to the Workses and to Assam for what his son put them through, Boyd said.

Boyd told his account of the meeting to the New Life congregation on Sunday at the start of his sermon as a testament to Christian values.

“Share this story. I want it to be broadcast all over the world,” he told them."

The way it should be...IMO.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That had to be hard for both sides. Glad it could happen. I would imagine it helps start the healing.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    Thanks for that, Mike. It really should be that way, but it won't unless we work to make it that way. Boyd did a good job getting the families together. They have all lost people important to them and the situation in which it happen though important is not the most important thing. The sharing of grief will help all three families heal.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Links