Tools walking away

This is a discussion on Tools walking away within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What is it that makes them disappear? Why can I not find what I need when I need it? I have been tasked to put ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools walking away

Administrator

Tools walking away

What is it that makes them disappear? Why can I not find what I need when I need it?
    I have been tasked to put up some closet shelves today... but I cant find my huge drill bit index and my 4 ft level.
    I am anal about putting tools away and taking care of them... so why do I find my nice mahogany level out in the cold damp garage? I still havent found my bits.

Does anyone else have this problem in their homes?
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It happens to me too.Blame the Evil Tool Gnome
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    I think the missing tools go to the same place that missing socks go to.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    No mystical insite here, but I do Believe our good friend Murphy has a few comments on just you situation, I just can't put my mouse on them at this second.

To answer the question, Yes, it happens all the time.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Well I have found out the best and easiest way to find any tool that you cannot find is go to the store and buy another one. Bring it home and find the perfect spot for your new tool and when you go to put it in it's new home, the old one will be sitting right there.

Do you know how many rolls of teflon tape I have found by doing this? LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What is it that makes them disappear? Why can I not find what I need when I need it?
    I have been tasked to put up some closet shelves today... but I cant find my huge drill bit index and my 4 ft level.
    I am anal about putting tools away and taking care of them... so why do I find my nice mahogany level out in the cold damp garage? I still havent found my bits.

Does anyone else have this problem in their homes?
    Sixto,

I USED to be able to blame the boys. No longer. They are now 29, 25, 24 and living anywhere but home.

But, years ago, I couldn't find my hammer. I looked everywhere. I lined them up, interrogated them and concluded the little darlin's were lying through their teeth when they shivered in fear and claimed to have had nothing to do with my hammer's disappearance.

They were reprimanded and punished.

Almost a week later, I tripped over the hammer, rusty and lying in the backyard...right where I had left it after working on some project.

I put it back (sneaking in the garage door so I wouldn't be spotted), then 'fessed up and apologized and groveled.

I felt terrible. Funny now. Not then.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Look in your closets. See all those useless wire coat hangers? Drill bits, screwdrivers, and sometimes pliers, IMO are the larval stage of the adult wire coat hanger.
    Last edited by N.M. Edmands; January 23rd, 2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: making space
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
    find the perfect spot for your new tool
    That is the thing that kills me the most. "I'll put it here so I'll know where it is when I need it," that usually ends up being the perfect hidding spot
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Administrator
    The worst part about it is, I was all ready to hang shelves. Now I dont feel like it because I spent an hour looking for tools. You see what I'm doing now....
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Hanging shelves ??? You ought to be picking up that shotgun.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I blame the dog!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Hanging shelves ??? You ought to be picking up that shotgun.
    Well if I hang shelves, then go get the shotgun, she might not get mad at me. Or I can hide it on the new top shelf. (she's kinda short)
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    I know where the missing tools go

I come home, empty my pockets. There's a few misc. bits, driver handle, random connector, etc. etc. I leave them there so I'll see them and remember to take them back to work in the morning...

The next morning I go about my usual, get dressed, arm up, grab my knives and my Leatherman, but all the other stuff is missing?

When we moved from VA to PA, I found a stash of all my stuff in two plastic boxes, one under the bed, and one in the coat closet, the contents of those boxes were all my missing items over the last 2.5 years of marriage.

What happens to tools? They get "put away" and of course when I ask for something by the proper nomenclature, Lima will just look at me like I'm from Mars....When I find it and say "This is what I was asking you about" she says something like "Well why didn't you say so, or "Oh, that, well you left it out so I "put it away"

OK, I'm done now...

Administrator
    haha, my wife puts things away all the time... even if they already were put away, she doesnt think thats where they need to be. It drives me nuts. I spent two weeks looking for a battery charger recently... I bought a new one. When she saw it, she said "Oh, I put that away when you left it out" I left it out to charge a battery overnight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've got a friend with a gas station and he has a sign up front of the bay that says "We don't loan tools, we would rather loose them ourselves".
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links