Guy "forgets" he is carrying a loaded weapon into an airport. **Merged**

This is a discussion on Guy "forgets" he is carrying a loaded weapon into an airport. **Merged** within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Loaded gun slips through airport security - CNN.com Whether he actually "forget" he was carrying or not, this is just bad either way....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guy "forgets" he is carrying a loaded weapon into an airport. **Merged**

Loaded gun slips through airport security - CNN.com

Whether he actually "forget" he was carrying or not, this is just bad either way.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I am not clear if he actually made it through the metal detector or caught going through the security process.

1. I thought guns were illegal in Washington, D.C.
    2. That holster must have really been comfortable. I am not sure the manufacturer would want to use his endorsement in an ad, though.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I am not clear if he actually made it through the metal detector or caught going through the security process..
    He was passed thru security....he then remembered it. They took screener off duty & are reviewing.
    went through a Transportation Security Administration checkpoint at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport about 7:30 a.m. Sunday, an airport spokeswoman said.

After the traveler evidently recalled having the gun, he returned to the checkpoint and disclosed the weapon
    The other disturbing thing is, this happens a lot.
    ....14 guns were discovered at checkpoints around the country last week. On average, screeners find two guns a day....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

If I were stupid enough to try that, or even honestly forgot, once I got through security, I certainly wouldn't have gone back!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I am not clear if he actually made it through the metal detector or caught going through the security process.

1. I thought guns were illegal in Washington, D.C.
    2. That holster must have really been comfortable. I am not sure the manufacturer would want to use his endorsement in an ad, though.
    The airport is actually in Virginia. Fortunately for the fool in question.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I worked with a guy who got through the checkpoint with his gun (pre-9/11) but was made by an air marshal on the plane. The air marshal arrested him but ultimately they didn't charge him. The FAA slapped him with a $4,000 fine though. Ouch. Times were different then.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I never tried that, but I got my rig so comfortable that at times I forget I am carrying.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

VIP Member
    The security screeners that missed the gun are no doubt undergoing "some" remedial training......
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I fly alot. Ever notice the level of awareness of those screeners? Yawning, talking to others, eating, or just staring off into space. TSA does indeed mean "Thousands Standing Around".

VIP Member
    Having worked in the airport security business in a past life, I think that (despite their deficiencies) TSA is far better than what existed before with private security screening companies.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    The security screeners that missed the gun are no doubt undergoing "some" remedial training......
    Yup - this is where the unemployment office is...... this is how you fill out your claim form....
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Yup - this is where the unemployment office is...... this is how you fill out your claim form....
    Ha! No doubt....

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Having worked in the airport security business in a past life, I think that (despite their deficiencies) TSA is far better than what existed before with private security screening companies.
    I think the screeners do an outstanding job considering the antipathy of the public for being slightly inconvenienced (my rights! my rights!! How dare you think I'm a terrorist) and the volume of work they have every day.

Why do you think the TSA screeners are more effective than their previous private counterparts? At the time, I thought it was mistake to displace the private security with government bureaucracy.

VIP Member

It is a shame--

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    If I were stupid enough to try that, or even honestly forgot, once I got through security, I certainly wouldn't have gone back!

It is a shame that an honest person can't tell about an honest mistake without getting arrested and charged.

He did the right thing. He got the wrong outcome.

As I have posted here before, not everything bad that happens is criminal, not everything bad that happens deserves to be punished.

I would rather the guy do what he did, go back, and get the gun secured and sent on its way in some proper fashion than continue to carry illegally.

What lesson does the public get from this incident? Don't try to set things right!!!

Maybe he should have dumped it in the restroom? (that's sarcasm folks)
    Last edited by Hopyard; January 23rd, 2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: clarity of meaning

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It is a shame that an honest person can't tell about an honest mistake without getting arrested and charged.

He did the right thing. He got the wrong outcome.

As I have posted here before, not everything bad that happens is criminal, not everything bad that happens deserves to be punished.

I would rather the guy do what he did, go back, and get the gun secured and sent on its way in some proper fashion than continue to carry illegally.

What lesson does the public get from this incident? Don't try to set things right!!!

Maybe he should have dumped it in the restroom? (that's sarcasm folks)
    Yeah, this was my line of reasoning. I had the same thought. They're not exactly encouraging what they "deem good" behavior.

"Hmm let's see...I've made an honest mistake...I should turn myself in and go through the proper process. Wait...aren't they busting people for it anyway? FAT CHANCE! I'll take my chances"
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links