Anybody else smell something?

This is a discussion on Anybody else smell something? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; CHERRYVILLE, N.C. - Authorities said an unsuccessful robber shot himself in the foot ... by shooting himself in the foot. Police said Kelvin Ethelbert Roberts, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else smell something?

CHERRYVILLE, N.C. - Authorities said an unsuccessful robber shot himself in the foot ... by shooting himself in the foot. Police said Kelvin Ethelbert Roberts, 28, botched his plans to rob a Cherryville convenience store by accidentally shooting his right foot.

According to an arrest warrant, Roberts dropped a .45-caliber handgun in front of Gasland USA on Sunday. The gun hit the ground and went off, a bullet striking Roberts in the foot.

Roberts faces several charges that include attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon and possession of a weapon of mass destruction. Police said the handgun had been altered to fire .410 shotgun shells.

Authorities said Roberts was in illegal possession of the gun because of his felony cocaine possession conviction in 2002 in Chautauqua County, New York.

Cherryville is about 40 miles northwest of Charlotte.

Now we know the press would NEVER get any details wrong but it sounds to me like the guy bungled a robbery attempt with a Taurus "Judge" or "Thunder Five". I just don't see a felon converting a pistol (I think revolver would be more to the point!) like that and we all know that dropped pistols always fire by themselves.

Sounds like another fool felon mishandled his gun and literally shot himself in the foot before the robbery attempt. Wish it happened more often...........
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    You've got to love it when the bad guys make it easy for the good guys
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Roberts faces several charges that include attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon and possession of a weapon of mass destruction. Police said the handgun had been altered to fire .410 shotgun shells.

Possession of a weapon of mass destruction? Where did that come from? Is that some kind of local statute? Or is a .45/.410 actually a weapon of mass destruction?
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Senior Moderator
    Could it be one of those bond derringers?
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Could it be one of those bond derringers?
    That would be my guess, a derringer of some kind.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

G&G
    Roberts faces several charges that include attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon and possession of a weapon of mass destruction.

I'm on it with Citizen510. Possession of a weapon of mass destruction?
    What social do-gooder came up with that one? Maybe the gun store I go to should change their sign to read "Weapons of Mass Destruction Store"

The idiots are running the asylum.
    Be ready. You can't make an appointment for an emergency.

The gun hit the ground and went off, a bullet striking Roberts in the foot.
    Can't imagine any modern .45/.410 revolver going off when it hits the ground... I'd agree with the derringer diagnosis.

handgun had been altered to fire .410 shotgun shells
    If 'A bullet' hit his foot, how did the shot shells come into play? AFAIK, there have been firearms advertised as capable of firing .45 colt and .410 shot shells for quite some time... What 'alterations' were made to it exactly?

Every definition I can find for 'weapon of mass destruction' talks about chemical, biological, or nuclear. I hardly think a .410 shot shell qualifies.

Guy was committing armed robbery, and has previous convictions for cocaine. Lock him up and throw away the key. Why they see the need to tack on this 'mass destruction' BS, I have no idea.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Administrator
    A lot of the new law written ref. the weapons of mass destruction include any dangerous ordnance that has been modified to operate outside its intended scope. The intent was in include someone who modified a legal AK to fire full auto and those sort of things.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I thought it was going to be a Blazing Saddles joke, or something. Still, it's in the right category. And he's in the right place, for the time being ... in police custody.

I wonder if they got it on film? "What're ya in for, Bob?" "Uh, shootin' myself in the foot, wouldn't ya know." "BTDT, my friend. BTDT."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A lot of the new law written ref. the weapons of mass destruction include any dangerous ordinance that has been modified to operate outside its intended scope. The intent was in include someone who modified a legal AK to fire full auto and those sort of things.
    +1

Under most of the new anti terrorism related laws, any improvised weapon that uses explosives is a WMD. Not too long ago a kid was charged with manufacturing a WMD for emptying fireworks in a 2 liter bottle and blowing it up (happened in CA I believe).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Taken directly from the NC DOJ in a .pdf found on the net. What they may be considering WMD in bold.
    -----------------------------------------

B. Weapons of Mass Destruction
    North Carolina General Statute 14-288.8 provides that it is unlawful for any person
    to manufacture, assemble, possess, store, transport, sell, offer to sell, purchase, offer to
    purchase, deliver, give to another, or acquire any weapon of mass death and destruction.
    A weapon of mass death and destruction includes:
    1. bombs of all sorts;
    2. grenades;
    3. rockets having a propellant charge of more than four (4) ounces;
    4. a missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter
    (1/4) ounce;
    5. mines;
    6. any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell of a type
    particularly suitable for sporting purposes) which will expel a projectile using
    an explosive, or other propellant, and which has a barrel with a bore of more
    than one-half (1/2) inch in diameter;
    7. any firearm capable of fully automatic fire;
    8. any shotgun with a barrel length less than eighteen (18) inches or an overall
    length of less than twenty-six (26) inches;

9. a rifle with a barrel length of less than sixteen (16) inches or an overall length
    of less than twenty-six (26) inches;
    10. any muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not such firearm is
    included within this definition; and
    11. any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting a
    device into any weapon described above,
    and from which a weapon of mass
    death and destruction may readily be assembled.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Just goes to show that there are a lot of people that have no idea what is out there and what constitues legal and not. Because it fits some part of the criteria must mean that it is illegal. The ignorance goes all the way up.

Don't get me wrong, I am not standing up for the idiot criminal he got what he deserved.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

This is one of my favorites:

10. any muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not such firearm is
    included within this definition; and
    We all know that a silenced weapon is so much more deadly than a weapon without a silencer. Clearly, a WMD.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I think since it has a rifled barrel it doesn't count as a shotgun, so that probably wouldn't apply. Chances are he had uranium buckshot. That'd be my guess.

Austin

That #10 means I'm in big trouble. I have a couple old Harley mufflers in my shop someplace -- now, there's no 40mm launcher in there, but #10 says the weapon doesn't have to be with the "muffler" --
    just like the overall length and barrel laws - mass destruction if a 12 gauge is less than 26" overall? What mass destruction? The mass of my hand, maybe, since those shortys just roar back. Laws are as dumb as the guy shooting himself in the foot.

bg shoots himself in the foot. thats great, glad nobody else got hurt.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links