What would you do if your child was missing?

This is a discussion on What would you do if your child was missing? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The news is peppered with stories of missing children. The latest is FOXNews.com - Cops: Missing Nevada Woman 'Has Fallen Off the Face of the ...

Thread: What would you do if your child was missing?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

The news is peppered with stories of missing children. The latest is

FOXNews.com - Cops: Missing Nevada Woman 'Has Fallen Off the Face of the Earth' - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

But what would you do if your child was missing? Obviously, short of being in law enforcement or extremely rich, you do not have the resources available to conduct a search.

I really feel for these parents as there is not a lot they can do.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I really feel for these parents as there is not a lot they can do.
    I respectfully disagree. Most of these parents do not know what they can do, or how to do it.

I routinely conduct investigations that yield faster results than the police for a variety of reasons, most of which stem from their workload, priorities of their jobs vs. yours, etc.

I can't tell you how many times I've handed the police a case on a silver platter only to be warned that if I go any further with it they'll prosecute me for interference. Then they take my case and make the paper. Fine.

The police in my area do a damned fine job of solving cases, but they are on a schedule and have many other cases to work (one detective I know has a caseload in the triple digits).

If my child goes missing I'll contact the police, FBI if it's obviously kidnapping, etc. Then I do what I do, 24x7x365.

You should never underestimate what you can do. I remember the police informing me there was a dead-end on a case. A store security manager couldn't find the video of a guy using our company credit card. Five minutes on the phone and five minutes in person and I had the video in my hand. Never stop trying. Never assume the Police will be successful. Never assume anyone else has as much riding on finding your child as you do (I guarantee you, they do not).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Man I cannot imagine having to deal with that kind of problem but I sure would do everything in my power to find my son or daughter. I've helped a friend look for a daughter that snuck out one night only to find out that she was with her boyfriend. Until she was found I was checking irrigation ditches in the area that clamed the life of another teenage couple doing stupid things after dark.
    Last edited by ridurall; January 24th, 2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: to remove something I shouldn't have said
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I stand on the 5th amendment.

Nuff Said
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Obviously, short of being in law enforcement or extremely rich, you do not have the resources available to conduct a search.
    Respectively, this statement is not entirely correct. Many Search and Rescue Dog Teams, such as the one I belong to, do not charge the families or departments. All of our team members are trained volunteers. Occasionally we are reimbursed for our travel expenses or the department will put us in up in a hotel. For legal reasons, the PD must request our assistance. We survive from our own pockets and occasional fund raisers.

I hope this information helps clarify things a bit.

Administrator
    I'd go look for them, assuming I liked them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

And I appreciate the volunteers! I've worked with search/rescue dogs, and even cadaver dogs, they're amazing, and save the public tons of money in the long run!
    Tracy

anything i could to find him, the thought of something happening to
    my son scares the #*%* out of me.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Access their GPS data from the cell that I bought them and they carry all the time, but then the youngest is 21 now and has his CCW as they all do. Dad always kept a watchful eye on them... a lot closer eye than they ever realized.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Links