I Vaporized A Skunk And Now My Wife Hates Me

This is a discussion on I Vaporized A Skunk And Now My Wife Hates Me within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The title line pretty much sums it up. Last night, I was just finishing up some studying and decided to let the pooches out for ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Vaporized A Skunk And Now My Wife Hates Me

The title line pretty much sums it up. Last night, I was just finishing up some studying and decided to let the pooches out for one last whiz before beddy-bye. As I'm opening the back door, the Rottie (Angel) charges out with a bit more vim that normal, followed by the Lab/Pitt mix (Baron). Instead of their normal sniffin' about and taking care of business (too cold here to muss about with much else), both dogs begin roaring and creating what is obviously an intruder-spurned ruckus. Something was amiss.

I should make it clear that we live on a HUGE farm (we don't own it...don't think I'm bragging) with security gates and regular patrol, so I'm rarely worried about break-ins and such. We have an ENOURMOUS back yard that looks out on an even larger expanse of farm, so we've got all kinds of roaming, wild critters. I mention that to illustrate that I wasn't immediately thinking of a human interloper, but instead knew instinctively that we had an animal ingress. Not sure what to expect, I grabbed the 870 and headed outside.

Now Baron is a very old boy. He came trotting up as soon as I opened the door. He was very excited and obviously wanted Dad to investigate whatever was the cause of the din, but wasn't actively chasing anything. I opened the door and let him back inside. Angel, however, was going ballistic.

I flipped the floodlights and things became clear real quickly. On my right, my sweetheart and beloved doggie pal, Angel. Twenty feet away from her on my left, with squared shoulders and a snarling maw, stood the biggest skunk I've ever seen. Angel is a smaller Rottie, but not tiny...this skunk looked like he could have given her some BAD lumps. I generally have more respect for most animals than I do humans, possums and skunks included, but this guy had me really worried.

My dogs are pretty well trained, so I knew that my command to come would be heeded. I called Angel and racked a shell into the chamber of the short-barrel Remington. I've never seen a dog back up like this before, but she actually backpedaled until she was near my left heel. I don't see her cowed very often. To my suprise, the skunk made as if to charge BOTH of us, and then made a stand about fifteen feet away from me. I leveled the shotgun and let him have it.

I forgot that I was loaded with 3" mag shells of 00 buckshot.

So, here I sit (twelve hours later) watching the last little bits of fur settle. The entire house...nay, the entire FARM reeks of skunk. Who knew that this single round from a shotgun could completely vaporize an entire skunk, thus making the full contents of the musk glands go aerosol? Who knew that my wife was capable of such dirty looks? Who knew that I'd be sleeping in the guest bedroom forever?
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Sponsor
    Now thats funny right there!! I don' care who ya are!!

Been there done that, but with a 30-30, Kinda makes yer eyes water...
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

LOL....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Now there is a case of overkill. A 22lr is very handy for skunks. You might want to have a 22lr rifle next to the shottie. or maybe invest in a over-under 20Ga/22lr.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I did it with bird shot.It seems you can't have bird feeders around the house as it attracts all kinds of varmints.

The skunk was armed with a weapon of mass deodorfication. He needed to be taken care of.

VIP Member

Maybe rabid?

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post

Angel is a smaller Rottie, but not tiny...this skunk looked like he could have given her some BAD lumps.

To my suprise, the skunk made as if to charge BOTH of us, and then made a stand about fifteen feet away from me. I leveled the shotgun and let him have it.
    Probably good that the critter is gone. It wasn't behaving normally. Maybe rabid? I don't know where you live, but rabbies is still a problem in many places.

Not much to do with the odor except wait it out.

"forgot that I was loaded with 3" mag shells of 00 buckshot. "
    about $.75

"Skunk d-pu" smell removal about $100.00 of Fabrize air sanitizer.

Wife ticked at you.... 2 dozen roses, a dinner on the town, and hiding the shotgun so she don't use it on you.....priceless

Thanks for the heads up...."mental note, no 00 on skunks"
    Ya might have saved some of us some time in the doghouse.

I had to shoot 5 of them about 2 years ago in the fall around the house here. Those things are everywhere. I used a Remington 1100 with just 5 shot and it worked fine. Buried them immediately and they didn't smell at all. Skunks don't seem to be worried about much. Ran up on them while hunting and you would think they would take off like other animals but they just waddle right along and have you move out of the way. ha! They know they are packing and know how to use their weapon!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Did it with a .50 cal muzzleloader once, about ten years ago.

Some things you never forget.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

VIP Member

Know the feeling....did it at a buddys house years ago, back yard, about 10 feet from the house. Of course I was using a Ruger Blackhawk .357. Needless to say it ruined the skunks day. Of course my buddys wife was not too impressed. Not sure if that is why I wasn't invited over for dinner for about 3 months or not??!!

I'm crying! My keyboard is now covered in coffee.....

Good luck with the odor too. It will dissipate. Pray for rain......

Try to keep the pooches from rolling and playing in that location to, or their fur will pick up the oil, as well as your shoes. If you get some of the oil on you or the dogs, here's a effective treatment:

1 QT Hydrogen Peroxide
    1/4 Cup of Baking Soda
    1 Teaspoon of liquid dishwashing soap

Wash with the mixture while still bubbling.

It wasn't behaving normally. Maybe rabid? I don't know where you live, but rabbies is still a problem in many places.
    Very true. They'll run usually. Skunks are one of the main rabies carriers here in N Texas.

After a skunk event of my own a couple of years ago, I now scan the entire yard at night with a 2 million CP spotlight before the pooches go outside. Cheap insurance.

Good luck!

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    So, here I sit (twelve hours later) watching the last little bits of fur settle. The entire house...nay, the entire FARM reeks of skunk. Who knew that this single round from a shotgun could completely vaporize an entire skunk, thus making the full contents of the musk glands go aerosol? Who knew that my wife was capable of such dirty looks? Who knew that I'd be sleeping in the guest bedroom forever?
    Maybe its an appropriate time for that romantic weekend at the spa with your wife.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Good luck with the odor too. It will dissipate. Pray for rain......

Try to keep the pooches from rolling and playing in that location to, or their fur will pick up the oil, as well as your shoes. If you get some of the oil on you or the dogs, here's a effective treatment:

1 QT Hydrogen Peroxide
    1/4 Cup of Baking Soda
    1 Teaspoon of liquid dishwashing soap

Wash with the mixture while still bubbling.

Good luck!
    What he said! That really works, use Dawn detergent.

I've done the same thing.

One night, one of my labs put his nose right up a skunk's butt & got a load right in the face. He was pretty stinky. He came to the door, his eyes were watering, his nose was running.....he was pitiful. I worried about it being in his eyes so I flushed them with water. We tried tomato juice (not the cheap store bought stuff, this was the real deal we canned ourselves)....IT DIDN'T WORK!

When we used the recipe above I was amazed how well it worked. When I was finished with him I started inside....until my wife caught me......While getting it off him, I got it on me....so there I am getting the same treatment sans clothes....outside.....in the winter!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links