Home Gym?

This is a discussion on Home Gym? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Who has a home gym? I'm thinking about getting one of those all in one multi-gym thingies. I'm finding working two jobs (one full time ...

Thread: Home Gym?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Home Gym?

Who has a home gym? I'm thinking about getting one of those all in one multi-gym thingies.
    I'm finding working two jobs (one full time - one part time) that I just can't get to a gym to work out and think it'd be more time saved to just have one at home.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

My wife liked her BowFlex, and ExSoldier has one IIRC. Used ones can be found for much lower prices too.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I had a Bowflex. Worked good. No heavy weights to carry around and can do all the exercises you want. BUT I talked to some fitness guys and they all agreed that although home gyms are nice, you can do everything you need to with a set of weights and a decent bench. So I sold my Bowflex and bought just that. I think I actually prefer the weights.

Also, if you really want to build strength look into the Isorobic Exerciser.

Products

It is smaller than a handgun, you can take it anywhere, you can exercise every muscle of your body and it will make you stronger (not more buff) than any other exercise routine.

I have used this. It is a real different work out. It is a lot harder than anything I have ever done. Even consummate weight lifters find this machine challenging. Pro football teams have used it and have played much better. I personally know Ogie and he is extremely knowledgeable about fitness. He is also an ex-cop.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

My folks have some sort of all-in-one type exercise machine - its really weird looking. I have no idea what its called, but they like it. Its sort of artistically put together - lots of swoopy stuff. Its all metal, I think there are 2 or maybe 3 different ways you can use the thing, but its like a combination of rowing and pedaling sort of.
    If it were me, I'd just get a treadmill. If there's nowhere safe to run nearby (or the weather makes it unrealistic) I'd just run, and do calisthenics. There's my $0.02

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Who has a home gym? I'm thinking about getting one of those all in one multi-gym thingies.
    I'm finding working two jobs (one full time - one part time) that I just can't get to a gym to work out and think it'd be more time saved to just have one at home.
    AC,

Look into Crossfit (Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness).

I am starting to get a few things to do these types of routines. Lots of variety, simple equipment (generally), low cost.

Just bought a rope for climbing, now I need to hang it this weekend. Got some weights. Add a little running or biking, along with pushups, situps, dips, squats, etc.

Give it a look.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; January 26th, 2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added info
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I used to have a fair bit of "home gym" equipment and then got rid of most of it when I moved to a smaller place - no room.

I've gotten along fine without it - I've learned that jogging, cardio-type stuff, pushups/pullups/isometric exercises, and free weights is really all you need to stay in shape. I hung a pull-up bar in the door between my house and garage, and I try to make myself do 15 pull-ups every time I walk through that door. That alone will keep your upper body in shape ;)

Just my two cents. Those Bo-Flex machines and stuff look nice, but if you don't have the money or the room, you can get by with some freeweights and cardio routines.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    ...just can't get to a gym to work out and think it'd be more time saved to just have one at home.
    I am a self-described "gym rat" and have been for more than a decade. At one point, I lived too far from town where there was no gym. My best friends for two years was a long rack of dumbells. Get a set that goes from 10-lbs up to 100-lbs and that will keep most men working for a while. Add in a bench that adjusts to flat, angled, or upright, and you have everything you need to pack on slabs of muscle.

Well, you still need a bar to do pull-ups, and when regular chins get too easy, you can pinch dumbells between your feet to add weight.

Good luck!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

Do I have a gym and work out? Absolutely!

I'm a cancer survivor. Trust me on this, there is something about having someone say you have cancer that get's your attention! Suddenly your health becomes your number one priority.

It is a fact that being over weight increases your chances of having cancer, all kinds of cancer. Period. It also increases your chances of having about every other degenerative disease known to man. So exercising is probably a significantly bigger contributor to longevity for normal civillians than carrying a gun for self defense. I'm packing as I type this though, have been every day, and will keep it up.

I have a room dedicated to a gym. A set of adjustable Dumbells, an adjustable bench (incline, decline), and a Force weight machine (cables and a 200 lb weight stack). Dumbells are safer for older folks (and amatures) than bars that are over the body. I also built a seated calf machine that uses plate weights.

For cardio exercise there is a Precor EFX 5.17i eliptical (fantastic low impact aerobic exercise) with the built in heart rate monitor, a Trotter 440 treadmill, and an old Schwinn Airdyne with over 30,000 miles on it.

I also have a ClimbMAX stair climber but my daughter took it to her condo to use it. I miss it.

It's a pretty good gym for a home gym.

I spend about an hour and a half 3 times a week in there - 45 minutes of strength training, 45 minutes of aerobics. 30 minutes of easy aerobics the other two days of the week. My wife and I also take care of 10 horses 6 days a week which gives us some additional exercise. I designed the room into the house. It has it's own cable TV outlet and set connection high in one corner.

I take weekends off from exercise.

It is a physiological fact that the closest thing to a fountain of youth is a good weight training program. This is especially true for women because the load bearing exercise does a lot to help maintain bone mineral content. This quote from "Exercise Physiology, Energy, Nutrition, and Human Performance", Second Edition got my attention back in 1990 "Indeed, it is a universal observation that individuals engaged in heavy weight training seem to defy aspects of the normal aging process." I probably don't weight train nearly as hard as I should, but I'm doing something, and it seems to help.

I still eat too much so I'm 20 lbs over weight inspite of the exercise and daily activity. I hate to think how much over weight I'd be if I didn't work out.

Fitch

my vote is for some weights. you really dont need anything else
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I am contemplating joining the gym here in our small town because there are lots of machine weights that I want to use. They also have free weights but I have free weights at home.

I just do not have the room to have a real home gym right now. Maybe once some of our kids start moving out on their own I will get myself a nice Nautilus home gym like the NS700X Strength System home gym. But until I have a room free that I can convert to a home gym, I will have to go to the gym.

I would like to suggest the following book to anyone who is interested in building muscle. "The New High Intensity Training" by Ellington Darden PhD.
    It is an amazing book. It will change your life and certainly change the way you work out. H.I.T. workouts are full body workouts, you use perfect form in all exercises and you take 3 seconds on the positive motion and 3 seconds on the negative. You use enough weight that you shoot for 8 to 12 reps before momentary muscle failure. If you can't do 8 reps you subtract weight next workout. If you hit 12 reps or more, you add weight next workout. But you work until muscle failure. Then you move on to the next exercise. 12 different exercises, work all major muscle groups, the workout takes about 30 to 45 minutes. Get in, work out, get out of the gym. And, you work out no more than 3 times a week to start off. Remember, the rest days are when your muscles are recuperating and getting bigger. When you rest is when you get stronger not by over working your muscles by working out too often. And every 6 months, you take 9 days off in a row.

Read the book. I bought mine off Amazon for $5.00 with $4.00 shipping and handling. Less than $10 total.
    Check out Doctor Darden's website at Dr. Darden's H.I.T.

Look at my avatar. I know how to lose weight and build muscle. In just 3 weeks of doing the H.I.T. workouts, I have put 6 pounds of muscle on my frame and increased the size of each of my upper arms by an inch, my chest by 3/4 of an inch and each forearm by 3/4 of an inch. It is an amazing workout.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    I dont have anything set up at home anymore, but we do have a rather impressive gym at the office. We have a couple of those Bowflex things... I've never used them and I dont think anyone else does.

Free weights are where its at IMO. Fitch and Rob gave some great advice. I dont know anything about TN Mikes workout, but he did get me interested in taking a look at it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for your posts. Most helpful.

I've ordered this (check the price):
    Weider Platinum Plus Home Gym - Weider Fitness

But ordered from Walmart at the following link and price - good deal huh....
    Weider Platinum Plus Home Gym - Wal-Mart
    For God, Family and Country!

Administrator
    Ha! Good ole Sam Walton came through for ya. I wouldnt mind having that at home myself... nice find.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Wow - pays to shop around. That's like a 600% markup....

Austin

If you are serious I suggest a powercage and a few extras but I have heard noting but good about the first power tec multi thingie listed here.

If you buy a bowflex it will cost the same so why not buy something that will let you go wild if you get motivated.

But don't let me sway you I have only been lifting since 76.

Gallery - Powertec Home Fitness Equipment

Links