What not to do if arrested...

This is a discussion on What not to do if arrested... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; While not specific to a shooting, one gal decided to call a friend using the jail phone and state her feelings about what she had ...

Thread: What not to do if arrested...

What not to do if arrested...

While not specific to a shooting, one gal decided to call a friend using the jail phone and state her feelings about what she had done...

TUCSON, Arizona (AP) -- A judge sentenced a woman to nearly the maximum prison term for negligent homicide after hearing a recorded jail conversation in which she made light of the bicyclist she killed.

Melissa Arrington, 27, was convicted two months ago of negligent homicide and two counts of aggravated DUI in connection with the December 2006 death of Paul L'Ecuyer.

She could have gotten as few as four years behind bars, but Superior Court Judge Michael Cruikshank sentenced her Tuesday to 10½ years -- one year shy of the maximum.

Cruikshank said he found a telephone conversation between Arrington and an unknown male friend, a week after L'Ecuyer was killed, to be "breathtaking in its inhumanity."

During the conversation, the man told Arrington that an acquaintance believed she should get a medal and a parade because she had "taken out" a "tree hugger, a bicyclist, a Frenchman and a gay guy all in one shot."

Arrington laughed. When the man said he knew it was a terrible thing to say, she responded, "No, it's not."

Assistant Public Defender Michael Rosenbluth told the judge his client has never been "cold, callous or flippant" about L'Ecuyer's death and has always felt remorseful.

Arrington said words couldn't express how she feels, and that once she's out of prison, she hopes to share her story with Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

L'Ecuyer, 45, was riding his bike the night of December 1, 2006 when Arrington swerved off the road, hit him and then continued for 800 feet before stopping, according to Deputy Pima County Attorney Jonathan Mosher.

Arrington's blood-alcohol content was .156 percent, nearly double Arizona's .08 legal limit. She had been driving on a suspended license for a prior DUI.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Them dang assault cars. Wasn't her fault.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Isn't driving drunk illegal??
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Them dang assault cars. Wasn't her fault.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Yep. Simply being in the presence of a car while drunk compells normally responsible people to get behind the wheel and go look for people to kill.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Another perfect example of SHUT THE **** UP!
    Glad she got slammed, could of been me she pasted!

driving drunk

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Yep. Simply being in the presence of a car while drunk compells normally responsible people to get behind the wheel and go look for people to kill.
    i agree, it always seems to be the innocent driver who gets
    killed and the drunk driver,not a sratch.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I ride a bike for exercise, and sometimes transportation. I've noticed that it's mostly young female drivers who pass dangerously close to me as if they couldn't care less if they hit me or not.

I have also noticed that many young female drivers have little regard for the clearly designated pedestrian crosswalks located in front of department stores, for example.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Her friend was joking around, friend passed on message "did the world a favor. Because you took out a a F**** tree hugger , bicyclist, a French man, and gay guy all in one shot...they should give you a medal and a parade" she just giggled a little and said, "I would have to agree".

KGUN 9 News - ABC KGUN-TV Tucson, Arizona, News & Weather. > News Story

Now, I am very happy that her drunk driving butt will be in prison for a long long time. Her drunk driving was terrible and took someone's life and she should pay big time. On the other hand, I don't think that phone call should carry much weight in her sentencing. She ought to be sentenced based on what she did, not on her prejudices or apparent lack of remorse. How many bad guys get to court and say they have "true remorse for what I have done and beg forgiveness, because I have seen the err in my way..." Do they deserve less jail time because they are good actors in court?!?

Send um all to prison for a long long time.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post
    Arrington said words couldn't express how she feels, and that once she's out of prison, she hopes to share her story with Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
    Why wait? Oh probably because you won't.

Links