At the range

This is a discussion on At the range within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; i went to the range today. didnt do that well because i havent been in 3 months and somehow i forgot to take my 9mm ...

Thread: At the range

At the range

i went to the range today. didnt do that well because i havent been in 3 months and somehow i forgot to take my 9mm sig. i could hardly believe it wasnt in the bag when i got there.
    i was pleased to see though , that a full one third of all the people there were women.thats Texas for you.
    i usually see quite a number of women here every time i go and i can see by the way i shot today its time to get back in gear.
    i need to start going at least every other week the way i used to do.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I kind of have the same issues. I'm one of those guys that has to work at it, Lima on the other hand will walk out to the line with a gun she's never shot before and tear out the center of her target making everyone else look bad.

When she was working at the range in PA, we were shooting a lot and I could almost match her shooting. But without that trigger time, I gotta work a few mags to get "warmed up" I can still shoot and keep 'em in the "A" zone, but nowhere near the way I can after a couple of once a week shooting sessions.

It just goes to show you....

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Senior Moderator
    Unfortunately shooting is NOT like riding a bike. You can't just pick up a gun after two years (or even two months) of not shooting and expect to perform like you did at the top of your game.

Every time I go too long between shooting sessions I try to INSTANTLY perform at my greatest level. I get frustrated that my groups are open and I'm appalled at my grip and stance.

I have to go back, do a few slow fire drills and spend almost 1/3 of the range time just building myself back up to the level I was at last time I went to the range.

Then I spend the rest of my time pushing myself to do something new and getting disappointed when I run out of ammo.

I think it's safe to say we would ALL like to shoot more, but until I get an unlimited supply of ammo or some sort of sponsorship I'm stuck doing the best I can.

Which really sucks cause I know it could be better.

Assistant Administrator
    I think we most all know we can do better but - there seem to be two aspects that I detect.

The first is that having handled and shot guns for so many years - the actual ''feel'' - meaning familiarity etc never changes too much - pick a gun up and shoot - feels kinda familar But .. aptitude and accuracy without practice, yes that does fade over time - I guess inevitably.

I know I usually feel the need for some ''warm up'' - first few shots after a longer gap - but OTOH I am also aware that while skills and accuracy do degrade over time. If one has been shooting long enough, this is more a relaxation of skills than actual loss.

So practice is more staying sharp and at peak ... and for new shooters the more the better. The older folks who have been ''at it'' a long time - while suffering from lack of practice - will not IMO suffer as much tho it still doesn't mean practice should be omitted too much if possible..
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

right, i did get frustrated because i was doing so well when i was going more often. when i get frustrated i seem to try harder and do worse.
    i just need to relax and get back to going more frequently so i will shoot like i used to.
    forgetting my sig threw me off before i even started.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

I see more and more women at the range I work part time at. They come in by themselves or with other lady friends. I would say that on some days, as much as a third of the range traffic is women.

It think it is great.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I was at the range in NC with my brother,...man this nice older lady came in,...She whipped out a Sig p229,and another auto(???dunno what it was,VERY hot round,seemed alot more powerful than my .40S&W),...

Man,by the time she was done with her first mag,pretty much most of the men that were right near her lane had stopped to watch her near perfect groupings

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I hit the range twice recently after about 5 weeks hiatus. the first time it took me about a mag or so to warm up and start grouping smaller. the second time, I did better. I have found that working up from smaller calibers to larger seems to work for me. maybe its a mental thing, I dont know, but I did so well with my Kimber .45 after warming up with my G19, I kept the target.

Links