Trip to NRA

This is a discussion on Trip to NRA within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This last week I got to have a trip of a lifetime. We were chartered to carry a former ambassador from his home in MS ...

Thread: Trip to NRA

Trip to NRA

This last week I got to have a trip of a lifetime. We were chartered to carry a former ambassador from his home in MS to DC. We landed at Dulles and stayed in the town of Chantilly. We got in around lunch time and weren't leaving till saturday morning. So, with basically a day and a half of sight seeing time what do you think we, two red blooded pilots did. We went to the National Firearms Museum at the NRA headquarters. And then, went back the next morning because we didn't have enough time the first time.

First off, if you haven't gone. GO!

There are some truly beautiful firearms there. And there are some historic ones as well. The neatest displays, I thought, were the child's room circa 1950 with it's 'coon tail hat and .22 rifle rack. The "taming of the west" display with everything from Walker Colts to Henry repeaters and just about everything inbetween.

They had a working circus shooting gallery as well. Pretty neat.

The other neat thing was when we were checking out at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum gift shop (Come on, we're pilots...), the lady ringing up our stuff was the daughter of one of the major donor of firearms to the museum. She was an NRA member and a member of "Daughters of the Second Amendment". Small world.

There was also a beautiful example of an M14. Gloss black finish, beautiful wood stock with matching wood barrel shroud, on display near the entry of the museum.

With only a day and a half, we were only able to see the two museums. And we had to sort of hurry through each. It would have been easy to spend an entire day in each.

I also renewed my NRA membership there. I decided to give them another chance even after the "NCIS Improvement Act"

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a great trip.

Someday I'll make it there.

Senior Moderator
    The museum is nice. Very nice.

The NRA HQ range is a treat as well. State of the art.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Links