Work Out Schedules??

This is a discussion on Work Out Schedules?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am starting to get to the gym more and more, and have found a routine that works for me as far as days go. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Out Schedules??

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar

Work Out Schedules??

I am starting to get to the gym more and more, and have found a routine that works for me as far as days go. I will work out Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Usually 1 - 2 hours at a time, but I have no clue what kind of program to get into. What I am trying to accomplish is to drop about 20 lbs of fat and get muscle. I am needing a routine for everything, because I am trying to get into shape to pass a PT for a LEO position, when I apply. Thanks
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

2. Remove Ads

Rangerman,

Check out Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness.

Great workouts. Varied. Don't require lots of 'stuff.'

Great overall conditioning.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Find out the requirements , then tailor your work out to meet those goals.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Best/easiest way to do that IMHO is to run. Get to a specialty running store and get fit for a good pair of running shoes. Then start putting in the time on the road. You don't have to go far or fast, but you need the cardio.....minimum of 3 times a week for a minimum of 30 minutes per run. Lifting alone won't get you where you need to be.

If you want to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you take in. Approx 3500 calories = 1 pound. That means cut down on the sugars, fats, and beer....... Note I said cut down, it would be inhumane to say cut out!

Good luck, and don't give up.

As of now, when most of the places around here require

1.5 miles in 16:00
    Bench 70% of body weight one set of 10
    push up and sit ups.

I usually ride the bikes for 7 miles which i can do in 15 minutes (is that good)
    Then I will work arms one day usually Tuesday
    Then I will work legs one day usually Thursday
    Saturday I usually just bike and run, what else should I be doing??
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Crossfit is OK. I have tried it, it isn't bad. But, what I currently adhere to is High Intensity Training. Get yourself the following book: "The New High Intensity Training" by Ellington Dardren PhD.

You do not need to spend 1 to 2 hours in the gym to build muscle and lose fat. In fact, it might be counter productive to do so. Read the book, it is very interesting and it makes tons of sense. I added one full inch to my upper arms and a half inch or so to my forearms in 3 weeks of H.I.T. workouts. Takes 35 to 40 minutes 3 times a week. But is is much more intensive than what you are currently doing, I guarantee it. I got my copy from Amazon for $5.00 and $4.00 shipping. It has changed my entire way of working out.

Look at my Avatar, I am someone who knows what they are talking about when the subject of weight loss is being discussed. PM me if you want to hear more or if you want to know exactly how I made my transformation. I was up around 300 pounds in the left side pic, and at 158 on the right. Most of that weight loss was achieved in 9 months from May 2006 to Jan 2007. I am now building muscle and doing it quite effectively with H.I.T.

Another great site to look at for weight training is John Stone fitness. They have a forum section much like this one that I check out regularly. Here's a link to the forum section, you can check out the rest of the site from there:
    John Stone Fitness Forums - Powered by vBulletin

I have to go to work now, but I will check back with you tonight after work.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

what exactly is the HIT???

By your post saying 1.5 miles in 16 min, 70% of bodyweight 10times, and push ups and situps, only question I have is how many pushups/situps in what time limit. Your post doesn't mention any chest(pushup) or abs(situps) workout. Abs can be worked every day as they are used every day like calves.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    By your post saying 1.5 miles in 16 min, 70% of bodyweight 10times, and push ups and situps, only question I have is how many pushups/situps in what time limit. Your post doesn't mention any chest(pushup) or abs(situps) workout. Abs can be worked every day as they are used every day like calves.
    I forget the exact number but i know its less that 30, in 1.5 minutes i think... not real sure.

wht do you suggest to work these out??

Quote Originally Posted by rangerman2003 View Post
    ... what else should I be doing??
    Core, that is abs and lower back. Crunches, etc. for abs and something like back hyper-extensions for lower back (does not put weight on your spine) there are special machines for back hyper extensions.

The core is vitally important and should be hit with the same intensity as arms/legs/cardio/etc. ...

Quote Originally Posted by rangerman2003 View Post
    what exactly is the HIT???
    High Intensity Training.

Basically, you do one very slow set (example: curls, 3 seconds up and three seconds down, with full extension and good form through out the exercise) aiming for 8 to 12 reps. If you can't do 8 reps, you decrease the weigh the next work out and if you hit 12 or more reps you increase the weight next workout. You work each muscle to momentary muscle failure. As soon as you get to muscle failure or you can not do another rep with perfect form, you quit. Move to next exercise.

No more than 12 exercises in a workout. The whole thing takes 35 to 40 minutes.

I highly recommend you read the book "The New High Intensity Training" by Ellington Darded PhD. Or check out his website at Dr. Darden's H.I.T. It really works. I can attest to it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    I've found that doing weights every other day switching from upper to lower body works best for me. I do cardio at the begining of each workout.
    I think the biggest mistake people make is not giving there muscles enough time to rest... that when strengh is really built. Also eating the right things goes a long way too. You can work out like a madman, but if your not giving your body fuel, you will not see results.

Also, trying to loose weight and build muscle at the same time is tough to do. I'd stick with jogging and strict diet to get the lard off, and do mild strength training. Once you are at a respectable body fat level, then hit weights hard adjusting you diet accordingly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Run! I can't stress that one enough. Run!

Everything else will come together easier after that, but you have to be able to run and maintain good cardio fitness.

When my cousin decided he wanted to join the force, he ignored the rest of us when we said "Get out and start running". He continued his stength training and when physical day came, they started out running. He failed right off the bat, and probably would not have had the energy to perform all the sit ups and push ups afterwards.

He spent his time between tests out on the track after that, running laps at a local school track. When ever he came up to the grand stands, he would turn and run up the stairs and then back down and continue on with another lap and repeat the stairs. When it came time for his retest he was able to pass.

He has not taken the running aspect lightly again after that.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Did my first crossfit workout today. OUCH.

15 reps 225 deadlifts (bad back, so did leg presses)
    15 handstand pushups (also scaled down, feet on top of ~ 5ft railing)
    15 pullups
    15 95lb Thrusters.

Repeat 3 times as fast as possible. Yes, it IS a race.

I am utterly and completely pooped.

Tomorrow's assignment - run 10K. I think I might do a 5K on the elliptical due to time and impact constraints. That'll burn at least 500 calories on my resistance settings and get roughly the same thing accomplished.

Our academy stressed running and upper body strenth for defensive tactics training. Did I mention running? Running was the biggest deal. Cardio is very important. Did I mention running? Rope climbing? Wall climbing? RUNNING!!!

Good luck!!PERSEVERANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links