How did you come up with your name?

This is a discussion on How did you come up with your name? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have seen a lot of "interesting" names out there and was just wondering how you came up with it. Let me start. Many, many ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you come up with your name?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I have seen a lot of "interesting" names out there and was just wondering how you came up with it.

Let me start.

Many, many moons ago when my kids were like 4 or 5 years old, we watched a video called The Brave Little Toaster. It was an cartoon movie with a toaster, a blanket, a vacuum cleaner, a lamp, etc as the main characters. Each had very quirky personalities. The lamp would always say, "That is exactly my point, exactly." Well, I sort of glommed on to that and I have used it in a lot of things. I have emails with that name, my corporation is called that, etc. (When I call the IRS and they ask me what is the name of my business and I say Exactly My Point, I get a lot of dead air time. )
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Assistant Administrator
    Mine is I think transparent

It is also way outa date as I haven't carried the P95 now in about 5 years! To change at this late stage would be too much of a problem tho, so - ol' P95 is stuck with it
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well, I'm David and...........

Live in Arizona, originally from Nebraska.

ree
    Just my initials.

But there's conversation-starter story about my first name. It's just "R". Not "R." as an initial, just the letter R. My dad and grandfather were both Robert and my parents wanted me to have the same initials as them, but not name me Robert the 3rd. They didn't like any of the other R names (Randy, Rudy, Rolf, or even simply Richard) so they chose R. It creates problems though. You might be surprised how many computer systems don't allow "R" to be entered as a first name...or even "R."

BTW, I go by my middle name.

Was gonna be my carry gun, a Titanium Framed 1911 but, the wait was very long, lost interest and the expence was going to be a lot, well over 2k. Glad I didn't as I don't usually carry a 1911 anymore unless I need thin and light then the CDP get's the nod, the Glock fit's my needs perfectly now, it took me a while to figure it out tho. So just call me "Glock Carry".

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

my unofficial callsign. from way back don't even remember its true origins.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Senior Moderator
    Well, this is the real Tangle:

I use her name in honor of a close friend and companion.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I could tell you...

but then I'd have to...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Two favorites. One old, one new.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Good thread idea.

When we were searching the internet for CCW info, we came across this forum and about the same time I had been to a gun show and bought a PPK. Though I wasn't overly impressed with the .380 I was impressed with it being so thin. I guess the PPK was fresh on my mind when I joined. I do still carry it sometimes, but typically carry a g27 or Defender. So like P95Carry I don't see a need to change names.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Just an abbreviation of my first name, and
    my middle name...descendant of ol' Colonel Sam Colt.

which makes me a 'son of a gun,'
    or a person of the highest caliber,
    or, I might just be shooting off at the mouth,
    but, you would have to 'gauge' that for yourself.

Want me to keep going? I'm loaded with him.
    And, I'm having a barrel of fun.

But, seriously...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    I work for a woman's college and began my work here as the director of IT. My first name is George, so in a matter of weeks I became ComputerMan George. Not long after the name was shortened to CMG.

The college was approved for a special license plate a year or so later and the state would make it a vanity plate at no extra cost so my wife and I got the vanity plates. CMG was already taken and since I have a doctorate I had them check on DR CMG. It was available and the rest as they say is history. By the way my wife's tag was MS CMG. We don't have the vanity plates any more I save the $50 extra to get the college plates and buy ammo with it. The underline in the name came because when I tried to set up my email account it would not accept the space and the name required 6 characters. Hence dr_cmg!
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    In the phonetic alphabet (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, etc.) Lima (that's l-ee-ma) stands for the letter "L" which is the first initial of my last name.

Tunes is for Looney Tunes. Growing up I always liked cartoons, especially bugs bunny and the gang, and what are cartoons but exaggerated and comical satires of life.

Sometimes that's what I feel my life is, an exaggerated, comical satire.

Hence... Lima Tunes

But most call me Lima or Ms. Tunes.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Im a Rick Flair fan and the 'pkr' part is an abbreviation of one of my middle names
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links