When you need a pistol Bow Hunting.

This is a discussion on When you need a pistol Bow Hunting. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Washington law says you can't carry while Bow hunting, this is one case it would be handy. YouTube - Who is Hunter? :)...

Thread: When you need a pistol Bow Hunting.

When you need a pistol Bow Hunting.

Washington law says you can't carry while Bow hunting, this is one case it would be handy.

YouTube - Who is Hunter? :)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Well, the narative was in french, so...

What just continuously baffles me with videos like this is why the camera person just stands there and keeps filming.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    What just continuously baffles me with videos like this is why the camera person just stands there and keeps filming.
    No ****... I always wonder how someone could stand by and let something like that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    No ****... I always wonder how someone could stand by and let something like that happen.
    I think the answer to your question is related to the language they are speaking.

That video is of a guy who put deer estrous all over his dumb self....his wife is the one taking the video. That has been around for a while on my bow hunting sites. He is only alive today because he had a flak jacket on underneath his get up. Idiot!!
    Last edited by CopperKnight; January 31st, 2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: language

That deer is one pro boxer though.

VIP Member
    Yeah, he told his wife no matter what, keep filming.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    A neighbor of mine went bow hunting (for deer I believe) up in the mountains Northeast of where I live. Now, I don't hunt so I don't know local law but I believe it is illegal to carry a handgun while bow hunting here. Regardless, this guy always carrys an XD .45 when he goes out.

It saved his tail. He was stalking a herd when he realized he wasn't the only one. A pair of mountain lion were doing the same thing. They switched tactics off the deer and went after him. He got the sidearm up just in time to put off a couple rounds in one (killing it almost instantly) when the other flanked him. He turned and shot the other one but it ran off (blood trail). He called the game and fish guys because he knew someone was going to hear it. They came out and talked to him and appearently let him go and even take the cat home (despite it being killed by an illegal weapon out of season). He is pretty sure there were cubs someplace around.

I'm not sure exactly how much of it is true, but I've heard him tell it numerous times and it never changes. I'm just curious about whether or not mountain lions hunt in groups. I honestly don't know. If its true, its pretty damned scary. If its not, its a good practical example of the needs for defense in the wild. Either way, it only reinforces that you don't ever mess around in Arizona's backcountry.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Mountain lions typically do not hunt in groups unless they are young siblings. They are a very solitary creature. In fact, wildlife officials will not transplant mountain lions to other areas because if they were to do so into another cats territory, the result is usually a fight to the death between the two cats.

That being said, however, there have been a few obscure reports in the last couple of years of cats hunting in groups here in the NW. Most people have attributed it to our over population problem. Of course, overpopulation is immediately denied by all of the animal rights experts who worked to take away our ability to hunt them effectively.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

In Texas you can carry a handgun while bow hunting if you have CHL. Basically, you just follow the regular laws for concealment and hunting at the same time and everyone is happy.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Another time they will hunt in pairs is if it is a Mom and Cub. My mother had a pair on her land in Durant OK. My oldest niece was 15' from being food for one of them. She played it VERY smart and didnt run when she spotted it. She just very slowly backed up behind cover and the cat left. My niece was 11 yrs old at the time.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

When my daughter and SOB soon to be EX son-in-law were putting up deer feeder on our property they saw a big cougar. Since my daughter was hunting with my traditional recurve bow I didn't have much faith in her being able to defend herself. I gave her one of my pistols to be carried in her hand on the way to the stand. I figure if it's not in her hand it won't do any good. At least Oklahoma lets you carry with a CCW during bow or primitive hunting season.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Regarding the French, I think Ted Nugent Hit the nail on the head........
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

i am glad that PA started letting us carry semi while hunting, sense they did this i have not gone into the woods without my 1911. ALWAYS BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY
    NRA Endowment member
    Certified Rifle Coach

VIP Member
    One can, however, carry a large hunting knife. Looks like one of those could have come in very handy.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Links