I Want One Dan Nat Dannnaaa Danna Naw

This is a discussion on I Want One Dan Nat Dannnaaa Danna Naw within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bond's Jet pack coming to Toysr us soon. FOXNews.com - California Firm Doubles Flying Time of Jetpack - Science News | Science & Technology | ...

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

“Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Interesting. You know, if they do ever get around to improving the efficiency of these things then the military applications are nearly limitless. It would truly move infantry into the 3rd dimension.

It is doubtful one could employ weapons while airborne, but the rapid time of troop redeployment would change the face of the modern battlefield quite a bit. Imagine a Platoon of these troopers attached to every Infantry group in Baghdad... The implications are staggering.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Interesting. You know, if they do ever get around to improving the efficiency of these things then the military applications are nearly limitless. It would truly move infantry into the 3rd dimension.

It is doubtful one could employ weapons while airborne, but the rapid time of troop redeployment would change the face of the modern battlefield quite a bit. Imagine a Platoon of these troopers attached to every Infantry group in Baghdad... The implications are staggering.
    I want those little bubble things that COBRA used to fly around in in GI-JOE. They had Cannons on them they where BAD.....
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I want those little bubble things that COBRA used to fly around in in GI-JOE. They had Cannons on them they where BAD.....
    The "Trouble Bubble" Flight Pod!

I don't know.......that's gotta feel awfully exposted. As a defender, if I see a bunch of them coming towards me, the word that comes to my mind is "pull!"......

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Well, yeah. But most people use scattered shot for a reason. LOL Not many people I know use an AK to shoot skeet. Its all about tactical employment, though. If the airborne troopers stick close to rooftops or you can put supressive fire on the baddies then one of your buddies in his jet pack could fly over and drop grenades like a bird drops.. well.. droppings. Or you could make a quick jump around in a flanking maneuver at low altitude without even exposing your guys to the enemy position. It would make envelopment and containment easier.

Just my guess. I'm sure OPFOR or some of our other military members could think of much better employments than I could.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I just want one to get around rush hour traffic!

In flight fires would suck. Big time.

Well, yeah. But most people use scattered shot for a reason. LOL Not many people I know use an AK to shoot skeet. Its all about tactical employment, though. If the airborne troopers stick close to rooftops or you can put supressive fire on the baddies then one of your buddies in his jet pack could fly over and drop grenades like a bird drops.. well.. droppings. Or you could make a quick jump around in a flanking maneuver at low altitude without even exposing your guys to the enemy position. It would make envelopment and containment easier.

Just my guess. I'm sure OPFOR or some of our other military members could think of much better employments than I could.

Theres only one problem. It can only lift a 160 pound man. How much does the average army/marine grunt weigh? after you add the Rifle, the Ammo, the Level 4 ceramic plates. etc......

LOL... I need one... for each leg.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Administrator
    I'll stick with my cape... it takes me a lot further than 3500 feet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Hmmm.....75 seconds for 98,000 bucks? That's $1,307 dollars per second of flight. I'm thinking maybe this technology has a loooong way to go!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

To heck with shooting them with a shotgun but Henry Bowman a BAR and plenty of magazines of ammo would make short work of a bunch of them. I just can't get past the 75 seconds of flying time.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

isn't there a company working on a electricaly powered twin rotor equivalent? if not i'll need a few grants from DARPA and have a working prototype by the end of summer(training schedual allowing) then i'll just need enough beer to coax a cav scout into being the first test pilot.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Links