No more dial up!!!!

No more dial up!!!!

This is a discussion on No more dial up!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've had high speed internet for the last 8 years, uptil this past year. Due to the problems with loss of a job, and my ...

Thread: No more dial up!!!!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

No more dial up!!!!

I've had high speed internet for the last 8 years, uptil this past year. Due to the problems with loss of a job, and my health, we were forced to drop the broadband connection, and return to AOHell dial up. For the last year, it's been just horrible. waiting for pages to load over what seemed like hours, but wasonly minutes. On top of that, since the computer tied up the phone line, I was limited to only a few hours during the day, usually after 9 pm. Now that my health problem has resolved, and I've been at my new job for a couple of months, I have finally been able to get broad band internet back. I bought the top package from Cox, and now, even with my old computer, pages are popping up quickly. Thank GOD! Now, I can browse the web at any time. Of course, I can't get up to go fix a sandwich after clicking on a link, and have time to make that sandwich and get back before the page loads. But a small price to pay. Free at last!

VIP Member
    Glad to hear it. I know it would be really hard to go back to dial up for me.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Dial up? Whats that? I think I read something about it in history class!
    just kidding, I have DSL and I love it. It is only the lowest speed available in our area, I could upgrade, but even the lowest grade is so much faster. I am happy with the speed I have now and cant imagine going back to dial up
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Broad band is pretty essential these days, but every computer I have is also set up to connect by dialup using the free deal at NetZero. You can use 10 hours or so each month at no cost. I am set up so that if my high speed provider has an outage when I need to be on-line, I have an alternative. Always have a backup plan!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

You guys are sooo lucky!!! I have the only thing avaliable- dial up. We don't have cable in the immediate area, and due our secluded location, the southern sky is covered by a solid forest. So, there is no such thing as Google Earth, U-tube, any videos, etc. It sucks, but it's better than living in the city. We do have indoor plumbing.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    You guys are sooo lucky!!! I have the only thing avaliable- dial up. We don't have cable in the immediate area, and due our secluded location, the southern sky is covered by a solid forest. So, there is no such thing as Google Earth, U-tube, any videos, etc. It sucks, but it's better than living in the city. We do have indoor plumbing.
    +1 Dialup is all that is available to me as well.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I had dial-up a looong time ago.
    I hated to try to download updates and it took 11 minutes for 1 meg. Try to download a 50 meg file with that. LOL. I would click on it and go to work and it might be done when I got back, if it didn't time-out on me.

I was never so glad when Verizon finally was able to provide me with DSL in my area. Comcast and satelite are way to expensive for me.

Dial up? Is that like the telegraph lines? Do you get on with one of those 'dit, dit-dit, dit-dit, dit, dit...push widgets entering by use of Morse Code?

Glad you're able to pick up the speed. I even got frustrated with the cable low speed, and now have the highest speed...instant responses are SO MUCH better.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm still on dial-up.

I'm just too darn cheap to go DSL. As long as I avoid Youtube and video downloads, I'm fine but it SUCKS!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

I remember the days of dial-up. There was nothing else available in Brentwood, Arkansas. Almost three years of it from 22k to 42k. It would be hard to do again. I view dial-up as text only now. One thing about it---you don't get many viruses or attacks on it. I always used to figure my peak times during the day and the week. Welcome back.

Administrator
    Late

at

night

I

am

on

dial

up.

It

sucks

big

time.

Actually...late night I view the forum decently quickly on dial up. It's surprising.
    The pics come up fine unless they are gigantic. Forget the VIDS though.
    The DC pages move fast.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Living in the country I had nothing but dial up until last year. We finally got wireless internet that down loads and 1.3 MBPS. Wow what an improvement over 29,000 bps. For 4 years the dial up company kept saying we would get wireless in the next couple of months and it never happened. A new company came to town and I jumped on it. Best $29.95 a month I ever spent.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Hey, I remember 200 baud: you could see each character appearing. Funny, though... it seems as though each new modem/computer stayed the same speed, but the older one got slower.

Sponsored Links