Police Cite Teen Girls.... for 'Hurling Missiles'

This is a discussion on Police Cite Teen Girls.... for 'Hurling Missiles' within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Zero Tolerance is alive & well........ FOXNews.com - Police in Laramie, Wyo., Cite Teen Girls Who Threw French Fries for 'Hurling Missiles' - Local News ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police Cite Teen Girls.... for 'Hurling Missiles'

VIP Member

Police Cite Teen Girls.... for 'Hurling Missiles'

Zero Tolerance is alive & well........

FOXNews.com - Police in Laramie, Wyo., Cite Teen Girls Who Threw French Fries for 'Hurling Missiles' - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Police in Laramie, Wyo., Cite Teen Girls Who Threw French Fries for 'Hurling Missiles'

Friday, February 01, 2008

LARAMIE, Wyo. — Three 13-year-old girls accused of throwing french fries during lunchtime at their school were cited for "hurling missiles," an adult infraction covered by city ordinances.

The principal of Laramie Junior High and a police officer had warned students during an assembly the day before the french fries' launch that if they threw food, they had to suffer the consequences, Police Chief Bob Deutsch said. The warning came after school officials had heard rumors of an impending food fight.

"They saw it as really the planning of a riot, when you think about it," Deutsch said.

The girls decided to test the warning, he said.

"It wasn't a spontaneous thing -- a couple of kids giggling, throwing a french fry at each other," Deutsch said. "They intended on getting everybody involved in this and starting something that no doubt would have the potential of getting out of control."

Now, some observers are saying police and school officials went overboard, and even the American Civil Liberties Union weighed in.

"It certainly seems that this was an overreaction to a situation that could have been handled differently," said Linda Burt, Wyoming director of the ACLU.

The girls were also suspended for three days.

City prosecutor Ashley Castor didn't return phone messages left Thursday and Friday. Principal Steve Hoff declined to comment, and schools Superintendent Brian Recht did not return messages.
    It seem that food fights & are now called RIOTS!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    It's really sad to see the seemingly constant dumbing down of America.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

That's just NUTS!
    Ridiculous, stupid...
    What would they call throwing soda?? Hurling a 'toxic' liquid?
    Some school cafeteria food COULD be considered a dangerous substance (if ingested!).
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Wow.

Just... wow.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

88m
    just when I think things have reached there peak on the old stupid meter something like this comes along and ups the bar
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Dont get hung up on the legal speak. The word "missle" simply means anything that is thrown or otherwise projected through the air... its just a legal term used to included everything from french fries to SCUDS.

Stupid...yes. I'm sure the school insisted on some sort of charges, and like always, the police end up looking like the fools to those who dont know any better.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    It could have been worse, they could have charged them with "Assualt with a Deadly Pickle"

VIP Member

OY

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Considering that they were warned the day earlier by both the school and the police, something more than being yelled at is in order.

Still, turning that into throwing missiles, rioting, whatever, is just silly.

I think that once upon a time not too long ago, something like this could have been punished with a suspension, a stay at an alternative school for a week, lots of detention, and a talk with the parents.

Charging this as "disorderly conduct" might even be appropriate if the charge were handled by a juvenile justice court.

"Throwing missiles" has a connotation that is much more serious than what the kids did----though not obeying the officer's instructions from a day earlier is indeed serious. It is serious because it shows a lack of regard for proper authority that is more than just kids horsing around.

Our society is rapdily descending into one in which "NO BRAINS" is the new common sense. I read yesterday that Gerogia law makers (I think that is where it happened) seriously proposed forbidding restaurants from feeding obese customers. Duh, NO BRAINS.

I guess when you outlaw discipline everything has to be a crime with the police getting involved. This is what we've come to I guess...

Austin

VIP Member
    Sure, suspend the kids for the food fight, but the words "missile", "riot" and "police" should never have become involved.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Moderator
    Three day suspension for a food fight?

Hurling missiles?

Riot?

Police?

If the teachers,school administrators, principals and Police Chief cant do any better than that then then all need to be fired.

Not only are we encouraging incompetence, we are teaching it and now we are enforcing it.
    What can one expect ?

They are kids in a food fight for cyring out loud. Back in the day, any Principal or Teacher that got the Police involved for something like that would have been chastised severely and laughed out of the school system. The Police Chief would have told them to handle it and take care of it themselves and not to be bothering him with such trivial pursuits.
    Last edited by HotGuns; February 2nd, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The kids were wrong.

Having said that, the problem I have is that apparently the adults in charge at that particular school are incapable of handling a minor disciplinary infraction without calling the police. If they can't handle something that simple, how can they be trusted to keep the kids safe in a real emmergency?

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    If they (teachers) can't handle something that simple, how can they be trusted to keep the kids safe in a real emergency?
    I used to tell my high school students "In case of a National Emergency, you are to remain in your seats - Until I am safely out the door"...

Luckily we never had one...

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    The kids were wrong.

Having said that, the problem I have is that apparently the adults in charge at that particular school are incapable of handling a minor disciplinary infraction without calling the police. If they can't handle something that simple, how can they be trusted to keep the kids safe in a real emmergency?
    The problem may be the teachers but the fact is that the kids needed to be taken to the principal's office and paddled. Suspension? Woohoo! No school! Suspension is not punishment; it is legitimized truancy.

It is not that the adults aren't capable of dealing with the situation. Their hands are tied by the idiocy of the school boards and the courts. So they do the only thing they are allowed to do: they call the police.

Overreacting?

Maybe but as stated they were warned. Just because it was french fries we should not punish for breaking the rules. I think they were testing the system and got caught. Now they suffer the consequences. We all have to be responsible for our actions both good and bad. Again they were warned.

Eric

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links