"Democracy is two wolves..."

This is a discussion on "Democracy is two wolves..." within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." I love this ...

Thread: "Democracy is two wolves..."

Distinguished Member

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

I love this quote and its simple, but profound logic. But being a colonial history nerd I had trouble nailing this down to Ben. After a little research, Ben came up short. Most of it came out of an article written in 1992. "Lunch" was not a term used until 1820 so that takes Ben out the circuit.

Oh, and as long as I'm "straining at a gnat", the other quote that bugs me is "God helps them who help themselves.". This did not come from the Bible, as sometimes quoted, but from Ben Franklin (Farmer's Almanac 1787). The irony of that statement is that it makes perfect sense except in God's economy. In fact, it is a slap in the face to the God of the gospel. Ok, enough preaching. Back to work. No, wait, that is my job.

I like it - thanks for sharing. It seems like I've happened across a lot of quotes by Thomas Jefferson lately - makes me want to read some of his books. Maybe I'll actually do it...

Austin

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •