This sure ain't funny!

This is a discussion on This sure ain't funny! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am incensed to the point of apoplexy - two guys back from duty in Iraq are beat up to degree where they are lying ...

Thread: This sure ain't funny!

Assistant Administrator

This sure ain't funny!

I am incensed to the point of apoplexy - two guys back from duty in Iraq are beat up to degree where they are lying on the pavement - and even then one gets his face stomped.

Geez - I am too angry to stay polite.
    Two soldiers, who just returned from duty in Iraq, were horribly beaten outside a bar in Seattle and someone with a video camera captured the entire incident.

Reportedly, the two men were with two women at a nightclub when the suspects in the pending case groped the two women. One of the women says she threw a hot dog at the suspects and walked away. The suspects allegedly ran after them and that's when the two soldiers got involved.

As seen in the video, the two soldiers ended up prostrate in the road, near on-coming traffic.

Police were able to get some pretty clear pictures of the suspects and are looking for anyone who knows the three wanted men to come forward with information.

There is no word on the condition of the soldiers.
    There is a vid available tho I doubt it shows the full horror.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in563855.shtml
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    That is an atrocity. Makes you wonder what kind of scum would do such a thing.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    That is an atrocity. Makes you wonder what kind of scum would do such a thing.
    I was always intrigued by this kind of statement, where people ask "what kind of scum" nothing really wrong with it but isn't scum scum? Just a reflection on they way we use our language.

Anyway, the scum that did this I would be sure did not do it BECAUSE they were soldiers, and although it doesn't justify the outcome I wonder how much of a de-escalation the soldiers tried :chairshot . Maybe they are just as guilty in the instigation . I hate to form opinions based on one news story since the media generally misstates things.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Assistant Administrator
    cjm - I think Tangle meant a demarcation - between let's say ''scum'' who rob'' as against ''scum'' who injure or kill. In the end tho perhaps yeah ''scum is scum''!

True again - we have to go by what is reported but on face of it at least - it does appear that these guys were abused beyond any ''normal'' fist fight situation. Possibly too - let's say that when they ''got into it'' there was a lotta verbal abuse and they were keen to ''get it on'' - fit young guys probably not happy to put up with bad manners from others, in particular when ladies were involved.

Thing tho that does appear from this is, that they were beaten way beyond any ''civilized'' fight - with almost mob hysteria coming into play. I won't stretch the ''ethnic'' envelope too much but let's just say - there was probably more to it with regard to the assailants - who were probably (insert choice of word) haters!!
    Chris - P95

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    P95 - I can see where you are coming from, but again I will have to say that having been in many fist fights in my younger days in the Navy, generally you want to make sure the SOB doesn't get back up in time to shoot you in the parking lot. I understand the point that stomping the guys head was over the line, but as a group of people willing to use lethal force when necessary we must understand that some people are deadly when unarmed. Is it possible that these soldiers were soudly whipping their opponents then crossed the line before being ganged up on? Did they perhaps cross the line due to lack of re-indoctrination to "the world" after a year of combat? There is so much we do not know at this time.

However, if this all occured because somebody did not like the way they lokked/spoke/dressed...then yes they are scum. My guess is alcohol really fueled this incident (remember it was outside a bar).
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Assistant Administrator
    Points taken cjm - and how right you are re alcohol - something I had I confess not considered enough.

I guess the head stomp really reached me tho - that is beyond any moderate rules of engagement - other than when trying to kill.

Aspects of the aggressors too were - hell, how can I stay PC here - overly predictable!
    Chris - P95

Well it has been writen that it is safer for a solder over there than it is here on the streets of say Detroit or NY
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

DC Founder
    In watching that video, without full information, sorry, I will side with the guy on the ground unconcious, and still getting the crap kicked out of him. In my humbler opinion, something like that is when a normal, everyday fist fight turns into a criminal assault. You won't hear me, by default, siding with someone that would do such a thing. I don't think the police would either....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator
    There is a point in time where a street brawl or fist~fight turns into sadistic & animalistic behavior. The fight was done...the fight was won & it was time to go away. Just my opinion.

Links