Pennsylvania Fireworks Laws

This is a discussion on Pennsylvania Fireworks Laws within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Keystone State Is A Party Pooper. I used to love setting off fireworks. The State Of Pa. thinks I might hurt my wittle hand ...

Administrator

The Keystone State Is A Party Pooper.
    I used to love setting off fireworks.
    The State Of Pa. thinks I might hurt my wittle hand though or set my house woof on fire.
    I might go buy a "toy cap pistol" & a couple of rolls of caps and maybe a box of stupid sparklers to celebrate the next 4th of July.

CONSUMER FIREWORKS
    Specifically Permitted Sparklers, toy pistols, or other devices in which paper caps are used which contain .25 grains or less of explosive compound, and are constructed so the hand cannot come into contact with the cap when in place for the explosion. Also permitted are toy cannons which operate on the principle of mixing calcium carbide, weighting less that 1/10th ounce and water in the reservoir of the cannon, and in which ignition results upon the creation of a spark.
    Specifically Prohibited Any combustible or explosive composition prepared for the purpose of producing a visible or an audible effect by combustion, explosion, deflagration or detonation. This includes, but is not limited to, firecrackers, skyrockets, roman candles, aerial fireworks, or other fireworks of like construction, and any fireworks containing any explosive or flammable compound.
    DISPLAY FIREWORKS
    Display Permit Apply to local authorities, in writing, at least 15 days in advance.
    Business entity performing, providing or supervising fireworks displays or exhibitions for profit must register annually with the Attorney General.
    Insurance Required, in amount deemed adequate by local AHJ.
    Operator No license specifically required in state law.
    ENFORCING AUTHORITY
    Commander
    Fire Marshal Section
    Pennsylvania State Police
    1800 Elmerton Avenue
    Harrisburg, PA 17110
    717-783-5529
    LAW NUMBER
    P.L. 134, No 65 (Revised May 1984)

ARE FIREWORKS LEGAL IN YOUR STATE?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Thx QK - it is somewhat pathetic tho reading that - as I commented on the other thread - nannyism is going rampant.

I still wonder tho re potential for prosecutions, and penalties - considering how many folks will still be launching their own pyrotechnics skyward on the 4th as well as probably New Years.

''It's for your own safety'' - great eh!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Thumbs down

People are getting so sissified in this country that it's unreal.
    & it keeps getting worse.

Assistant Administrator

Re ''sissification'' - or ''nannyism''

QK - this is a recurring subject - and on Saturday while reading local paper read a very good article by a syndicated columnist John Leo - all about this crazy trend.

It riled me up enough that I wrote to the paper - which I reproduce - something I do rarely and when I do it usually is to do with RKBA and 2A matters. Whether they print it is another matter, maybe it'll be in tomorrow's paper.

Sir,

John Leo's excellent column in the weekend gazette (page 2) was spot on, regarding the ever present and seemingly unstoppable trend of ''Nannyism". Along with this I also include everything ''PC". The tendency to make things Politically Correct seemingly often on a whim. It has every appearance of being a phenomenon of current Western Civilization, because the same can be seen in UK and Europe.

What yanks my chain most is that the majority of decisions made to ban this or curtail that seem to come out of legislative thin air. Do ''we the people'' get consulted as to what we want? Rarely it seems. Instead, some committee of meddling (add own descriptive noun here!) decide for us, that something we are used to and have lived with satisfactorily for countless decades, should suddenly be put "on the list".

John quotes many examples in his piece and there are many more. One I came across in recent weeks was some crazy plan to avoid use of the word ''fail'' for school or college students, lest those who (gasp) fail, should suffer some mind boggling psychosis as a result. It was so absurd I even forget what word was chosen in its stead!

Whatever happened to freedom and self-determination? Now, everything is ''for your own good'', or ''it's for the children''. I wonder many times why we seem to sit back and take this all but when you look hard at the situation it seems that this is all a process of ''control by stealth'', each small nibble at freedoms can go all but unnoticed but cumulatively the effects are already in my opinion way beyond a joke. Often folks will counter this by reminding us that we have a vote. Oh great - that helps a whole lot when it seems that all legislators suffer from this very condition across the board.

Perhaps the real keyword in all this simply ''control''. The ability for people to make their own decisions, kids to learn right from wrong and, what is safe and what is not. These are being removed bit by bit. It is already all but impossible to go through an average day, without breaking some law or other, often unwittingly and that only gets worse. California bans genetically modified fish from home aquaria - I wonder what the ''punishment'' is for that heinous crime? Smoke a cigarette in Central Park - what is the citation there and the punishment? Furthermore, I think we have all now come across ''zero tolerance'' and ''hate crimes''.

I will admit there are just a few examples of relaxations on restrictions, for instance PA now permits bikers to have the choice as to whether to wear a helmet. This is not predictably received with full endorsement for obvious reasons but - at least the element of choice has been returned to people. Not a common occurrence however.

Perhaps one of the biggest dangers in the trend is banning objects, as a means to effect control. Misuse of say, a cellphone while driving, just could be seen as a reason to ban the phones instead of educating people to be more aware and sensible. Same with gun control. The gun per se is an inanimate object and only a threat in the wrong hands. The staunch anti's however would claim otherwise, assuming that removal of all guns (from legal owners) would solve all problems of violence! Horse puckey! All that would do would be to leave crooks armed and the law abiding person defenceless.

Enough! I will cease my rant. But sure as heck I wonder where we will be at by the time my remaining years are up, not to mention what my grandkids will have to face. Maybe just maybe - things could go full circle, the pendulum swing back and some sense once more prevail, but with that will be a need also for some societal improvements regarding personal responsibilities and integrity.
    Chris - P95

Then there is Az where you cannot even have a sparkler. I live in Mi and you can bypass the law by going to the (in my case) township supervisor and getting a permit to use, and I apply to the ATF for a "class B" license and shoot of the really big stuff, damn I have wasted a lot of money over the years making noise and lighting up the sky.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Assistant Administrator
    Holy moly - so AZ is (even) worse than PA - hard to believe.

Nannyitis is sure spreading!
    Chris - P95

Actually they are terrified of wild fires.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - guess you gotta real good point there - tis a tad dry!!!
    Chris - P95

DC Founder
    We are more concerned about fires than anything else, but if you think people pay any attention to this law, you have never been to Arizona on July 4th (why would you want to be here then?) or New Years Eve....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Links