Survival Training

This is a discussion on Survival Training within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My roommate just posed a question and I figured you guys would be a good place to go for reccomendations. He wants to do some ...

Thread: Survival Training

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Survival Training

My roommate just posed a question and I figured you guys would be a good place to go for reccomendations. He wants to do some kind of outdoor survival training here in Arizona. I can do a websearch about as well as anyone else but I was curious if anyone had heard anything good about a particular school or class.

Anything from hardcore to backpacking-style. I'd teach him myself but most of the stuff I know is practical knowledge from years on the trails. I don't know the 'you have duct tape, a toothpick and 500' of paracord - build a house' kind of stuff.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

How old is your roommate? Has he thought about government subsidized training. I hear the deployments suck but the training can be pretty good. THe price is right??
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

What if he were to read read read, books, online, forums, and then just go out and do it. Learn the basics of camping, hunting, foraging, first aid, shelter building and the like. None of those things requires other people (aside from EMT class), and time and experimenting are where it will be. At that rate, trip goals can be set up: two days outside, two days in a built shelter, Two days bringing no food, try it in less than perfect weather conditions, extend duration of trips, go farther and father from 'base'.
    H@H

Practical knowledge would be the best teacher. Take the tools that one would normally pack for a hunting/fishing/camping trip and learn how to use the tools. After a little experience with them, carry the tools, but learn to improvise. Take a couple of weekends and go on a camping trip. On each trip learn to not rely on one or two tools (like a pack ax or matches). Make your own shelter even if you packed in a tent.

Short of taking military survival training, this will likely be about as good as it gets.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Watch the episode of survivor man out in the desert, then drop him out in the middle of no where with all the same goodies that the survivorman (can't remember his name) had. Tell him "See you in a week".

Actually I like BigEFan's idea the best. You can get some quality training in the military, and get paid for it to boot.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Actually I like BigEFan's idea the best. You can get some quality training in the military, and get paid for it to boot.
    True, you do get paid. Unfortunately it is nothing near what you deserve and in some cases is downright embarassing. They should be paid a bunch more.

/rant back to topic
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    True, you do get paid. Unfortunately it is nothing near what you deserve and in some cases is downright embarassing. They should be paid a bunch more.

/rant back to topic
    It has improved a lot though in the last 8 years (hmm I wonder why? ). Actually, officers make really good money and there are more and more opertunities to take a path to become an officer and get your college paid for to boot.

I wish the recruiter would have taken the time to show me those options rather than ticking me off by trying to force me into an MOS I didn't want to do. I might have joined up then.

Ok, enough of my rant.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Read books and go on isolated trips into the back country to practice is one way. Good luck and hope your friend doesn't encounter any emergencies along the way.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

visit my parents ...

they lived in Yuma Co. AZ for 10 - 12 years - Dad was with SO there

now they are retired and off the grid on a mesa in CO (just north of Taos)

(Dad just retired again from SO in CO...)

my first trip out there we had to use sage brush to hold the TP while using the facilities (oops) no facilities for the first few days... the other hand was for holding a gun - lots of snakes... some are noisy too!!

still no electric (other than solar and wind generated) no water,

BTW they can't get off the Mesa right now - I heard the "drifts have drifts" (and Mom HATED Ohio winters )

Links