Talk about abuse of power

This is a discussion on Talk about abuse of power within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; These two videos are about 6 minutes each but please watch them and let me know what you think. YouTube - PSYCHO COPS Strip Search ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk about abuse of power

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

These two videos are about 6 minutes each but please watch them and let me know what you think.

YouTube - PSYCHO COPS Strip Search Innocent Woman - part 1 of 2

Part 2 here:

YouTube - Victim Assaulted and Stripped Naked by Ohio Sheriff PART 2

To my non-LEO eye, it seems to me that this woman's rights were horribly violated. Why were men helping to strip search this 125# woman? If they didn't have enough female deputies present to perform the search, she could have been restrained (while clothed) until more female officers arrived - I would think. She couldn't have posed much of a physical threat. Was a strip search even necessary? Why was she left naked for 6 hours without even a blanket to cover herself with?

It seems to my untrained eye that the Sheriff and the county are up against a pretty large civil settlement when that video makes it to the trial.

I would love to hear from Sixto or other LEO's to maybe help explain the situation and why she was treated the way she was.

I am not trying to convict the sheriff's dept in the court of public opinion, just trying to understand this.

Thanks,

Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

It will most likely be considered "departmental policy" and some reasons other than the deputy being confused will be used to justify it. Probably her reaction to the deputy's actions.

Sorry if this offends the officers on this board, but much of what I've seen has been "over the top" in my opinion. Granted the news story is biased, but the officer actually started the problem.

I can easily see someone being freaked out at the fact that the person that is supposed to help her is the antagonist.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

My goodness - if their side is being accurately represented - that's awful. There's no way to tell since the Sheriff's aren't saying anything - which is good for them since there's no point getting into an argument on the news. She sure was hysterical though! It occurred to me that it might be a good idea (in today's PC society) for a department to have the policy of allowing the suspect to choose who searches them (male or female). It might help put the ball in the suspect's court and help them feel less violated - not to mention clarify why the strip search is justified in the first place.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    They say their policy is to have the same officer sex strip search suspects, but this wasn't a strip search. This was a removal of clothing to prevent her from harming herself. They didn't mention what the policy was for that, but it should be the same as a strip search, IMO. I can see the need for doing this forcibly to suspects. Sometimes for thier protection, sometimes for the officers or public safety.

In this case, if everything is as it's portrayed, several things went wrong starting with the responding deputy taking the completely wrong approach to the entire situation. Followed by the officers handling her at the station being overly aggressive, and her getting scared, deathly scared, which caused her to fight back, which caused the officers to get more aggressive, which caused her to get even more scared and fight back more. A vicious cycle.

VIP Member
    Is there a print/news account of this?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

wow. yea its hard to draw too many conclusions from that since we dont know the whole story, but dang it sure doesnt look good.
    make sure any more news about this is posted, i would like to know what becomes of this whole thing
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    wow. yea its hard to draw too many conclusions from that since we dont know the whole story, but dang it sure doesnt look good.
    make sure any more news about this is posted, i would like to know what becomes of this whole thing
    Like many other stories, I doubt we'll ever get the whole truth. I agree so far it doesn't look good for the sheriff's department. I don't know if they're not talking because they know they are at fault, or because they don't want to spoil their case.

I'd like to have seen the entire dash cam (at least the audio) from the beginning.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Administrator
    Oh boy... this is going to be interesting.

First thing I thought ten seconds into watching the video is she told them she was suicidal... and she indicated she was. SOP to remove everything and give the person a smock to wear. I'll bet 20 bucks that was the intent, not a search. One could call it a search, but it wasnt, not even close. The reason this happened had nothing to do with the original call, it had everything to do with what happened afterwards.

Second, Yeah, in an ideal situation, only female jailers should have been in the room, but clearly the lady was having a temper tantrum and it was quite possible the two female jailers could not control her. In those situations, you got to do what you got to do. Preventing what might turn into a in custody death (suicide) trumps dignity everytime. Liability has ruined everything in the sue happy world. Your damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Third... The dashcam; Nobody is hiding anything here. Dashcams dont just run 24/7. Most only are only turned on when the overhead red and blues are on. The deputy was smart and not only turned the camera on when she got in the car, but he turned it around to capture what was going on in the cabin.

Fourth... I would have to assume she acted like a jackass on scene, but maybe not. It doesnt really matter at this point. Im going to take a educated, logical guess about what happened on scene.

She gave the deputy her dead sisters drivers license (thats illegal to have in the first place, let alone giving it as identification) The deputy did the correct thing and told her she could not have it back, and she went off.
    She was already keyed up from being in the fight, takess a little out on the deputy. Deputy isnt going to play that game. The deputy arrested her for persistant D.C., and away she went.
    Then she gets to jail still pissed, and thinks its a good idea to tell the jailers that she might be suicidal (note to readers; thats never a good idea.)
    And then you see whats on the jailhouse video.

Was there mistakes made? Sure. Does she have a solid lawsuit? Maybe, but I bet not. The S.O. will settle for an undisclosed amount soon though, as they will loose big time in the court of public opinion.

It aint all that hard to figure out when you been there, done that. In that very same jail too, well once anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool SHE called the Sheriff's office for HELP

I am totally shocked and disgusted!

NO excuse in IMO would justify what this women went throught.
    Before you resond , just imagine if this was your wife or sister that was treated like this by LE officials. Espesially when you had been assaulted and called LE for help.
    It started with the responding officer, continued with the 7 officers and was condoned by the county Sheriff.
    IMHO, if this is what it seems, the county would be getting off light if all eight officers and the sheriff are fired and the judgement against the county is for 5 mil $.
    She had to feel lower than a pig in mud pigpen.
    Just my two cents.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

My initial reaction is that there is probably something she did to warrant the strip search. The fact that the female officers are taking off her clothes makes me think its routine. Stay out of trouble and you'll be Ok. I'd love to hear the whole story. Unfortunately the press will only show what they want you to see.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    These two videos are about 6 minutes each but please watch them and let me know what you think.

YouTube - PSYCHO COPS Strip Search Innocent Woman - part 1 of 2

Part 2 here:

YouTube - Victim Assaulted and Stripped Naked by Ohio Sheriff PART 2

To my non-LEO eye, it seems to me that this woman's rights were horribly violated. Why were men helping to strip search this 125# woman? If they didn't have enough female deputies present to perform the search, she could have been restrained (while clothed) until more female officers arrived - I would think. She couldn't have posed much of a physical threat. Was a strip search even necessary? Why was she left naked for 6 hours without even a blanket to cover herself with?

It seems to my untrained eye that the Sheriff and the county are up against a pretty large civil settlement when that video makes it to the trial.

I would love to hear from Sixto or other LEO's to maybe help explain the situation and why she was treated the way she was.

I am not trying to convict the sheriff's dept in the court of public opinion, just trying to understand this.

Thanks,

Mike
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

If she had remained calm and communicated instead of getting hysterical and throwing a fit things may have ended quite differently.

Austin

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    If she had remained calm and communicated instead of getting hysterical and throwing a fit things may have ended quite differently.

Austin
    Austin makes a key point here, She made it get as ugly as it did...and for gods sake, it was not a strip search!!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    It appears to me that she was being put on a suicide watch. To the best of my knowledge, undergarments are usually left on the person or at least a gown of some sort.

There are a lot of circumstances that could lead up to that point, all of which the "victim" was probably not so innocent that she is being played out to be.

However, the coed stripping of her does not bode well, and I imagine if they have a sharp attorney then there will be a substantial settlement if not some careers ended also.

As far as how horrible the video looks, you have to keep in mind that LE's deal with some pretty cruddy people in a myriad of cruddy situations. Other than the fact that there are some pretty hefty males holding this woman down, the situation doesn't neccesarily look that bad comparitively (imagine dealing with someone like that and then they empty their bodily functions all at the same time). On the other hand, a 125# woman can still be a heck of handfull if she is absolutely fighting your every attempt at anything. Add on top of that the possibility that she may have had some chemical in her system, well you get the picture. She may have been too much for the female LE's to handle. I know she and her husband look nice and all, but even total dirtbags can clean up and take a nice picture.

We just don't know all the facts, but I am sure there will be a thorough investigation.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    and for gods sake, it was not a strip search!!
    Yes please. That was not a strip search. That was being put on a suicide watch. There is a difference.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Moderator
    That wasn't a strip search. Females removed the clothes, the males did the restraining.I saw no"searching"on the tape.

To my eye and in my somewhat limited experiences, she doesn't look or act any differently than the squalling crackheads and methheads that I have arrested and turned over to the jailers. Most of the time they can handle it, but occasionally they will ask for assistance from the Deputy's.

For some reason unknown to me, its seems like its mostly the tiny females that put up the most fight.

It may seem harsh to those that observe, put it appears to me that the Jailers and Deputy's were pretty much following standard procedure. Removing any article of clothing is pretty standard for someone that is suicidal. We received a lot of negative publicity at our jail because a guy hung himself from a door knob by tyeing his Teeshirt around his neck and just sitting down. It worked.

As Sixto stated, no matter what you do in a given situation, you are danged if you do and danged if you don't. Strip someone because they may be suicidal, and get hammered by all. Don't strip search someone and they kill themselves in jail, and get hammered for not stripping them.

Having been involved in some knock down drag outs, I have a lot less sympathy for the people that start it than I did when I first started the job.
    Once reality hits,your perceptions of things change somewhat.

The whole thing started because she was throwing a fit because the deputy seized an illegally held drivers license. A normal acting and rational person would have questioned it, been answered, and that would have been the end of it. Not so here. She acted the fool, and was eventually treated as such.

Yeah, it looks harsh. It looks terrible.
    In truth though, it wasn't that big of a deal in the lives of those that do it for a living. It was just another day at the office.

Only difference was...this was taped and everyone got to see it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links