Garage door opener theft

Garage door opener theft

This is a discussion on Garage door opener theft within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just heard on the news tonight that there's been a rash of thefts from vehicles in the last month. Most were unlocked or smash 'n' ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garage door opener theft

Just heard on the news tonight that there's been a rash of thefts from vehicles in the last month. Most were unlocked or smash 'n' grabs, but a few were in the next neighborhood north of here.

The disturbing part was that in a few cases, they used the garage door opener from the car in the driveway to open the garage and steal items from the garage. As I got to thinking about this, I realized that my truck sits at the end of the driveway (I back the trailer in) away from the garage lights with my opener clipped to the sun visor. The really scary part was when I realized I rarely lock the interior garage door (no deadbolt), so making entry to the garage would give thieves access to the entire house. Until the dogs woke up anyway.

Needless to say, my opener is in the house tonight, and I'm wishing I had gone ahead and gotten an alarm on my truck.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Another one to add to the garage door opener use.
    Picture your at the mall and your car is stolen. You spend minutes looking for it, then call police and they show up 15 minutes later, take your report and now you've got to find a way home.
    In all you've spent 45 minutes to several hours, you where shopping, after all.
    You make it home and find your car had been home before you. The BG's found your remote and your address and went to your home. You had a connecting garage so they drove right in. No neighbors though anything of it, it is your car. minutes later your car leaves with BG's and loot in your car is found a day later the BG's had switched vehicles. It was a house robbery using your own garage door opener and the address that is on your registration.

That would really stink. Hard to work around too, and still use the opener.

Unless. . .

[wheels slowly turning]

They do make wireless keypads now. Throw that in the car and problem solved. Probably won't be long until you see biometric remotes instead of keypads. That would be nice.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Technology is wonderful isn't it? You know, if the DIP switches are accessible in the battery compartment of you garage door opener--you could just change one of them whenever you're away from your vehicle. This would render the opener useless for anyone as the DIP switch settings need to match the opener settings. They may have your ride, but they won't be able to get into your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by rmarcustrucker View Post
    Picture your [sic] at the mall and your car is stolen. The BG's found your remote and your address and went to your home.
    This is the primary reason I separate identifying items. This includes keeping the garage remote separate from the car's documents (registration, insurance), and those things separate from my identification (wallet). Lose one, and you're not harmed. Lose several, and then you've got problems ... particularly if loved ones are at home during the time you're flitting about with paperwork with authorities to get the issue resolve.

What I do: carry my wallet in one pocket; carry a small wallet with the car's docs in another pocket; leave the remote in the car, which has no other tie to me. The only fly in the ointment is that Oregon demands that upstanding people publish their home addresses on the driving license, which makes for an uncomfortable situation should you ever lose your ID.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ...What I do: carry my wallet in one pocket; carry a small wallet with the car's docs in another pocket...
    AND a fake wallet to toss to a mugger... and a flashlight, a knife, OC, and BUG? You guys have deeper pockets than mine.

In more ways than one!

Good idea on separating paperwork, though. How 'bout a ziploc bag full of relevant paperwork in the trunk? Sure, a LEO will be mildly concerned that you want to get into the trunk, but moving slowly with proper permission might be OK (and we probably aren't pulled over that often).

Administrator
    I've said for years now that its dumb to keep your opener in your car, in particular if you park in your driveway, but everybody does it, myself included.

Its easy enough to reprogram modern openers if your opener does get stolen though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

just to throw in a twist.
    i was at my friends house once by the garage, another friend of mine got out his phone to make a phone call. the garage door opened. we looked around, nobody there. so we closed it. my friend got out his phone again to make a call.. yep, it opens again. his cell phone could open my friends garage door!

not to mention im sure it isnt hard to get a little device that will open any garage door. so make sure you lock that door between your garage and your house!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I never even thought about this one!! I guess using the built-in homelink system in my Suburban isn't that great an idea. I'm thinking I'll go back to using my old opener and carrying it with me.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I hate this site, everytime I think I finally have all my bases covered, you guys throw in a twist. I guess I'll be locking the door for now on. Never even thought about it, but you're right, that sure would make a home invasion easy. I always assumed the people that break into cars in driveways are the smash and grab, or the more commonly, check to see if it's unlocked and try not to attract attention type of criminals. I guess the BG's are evolving...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

dummy door opener clipped to the visor might work. most bg's would stop looking once they think they have what they need. and in the off chance they don't keep the darn door locked.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

VIP Member
    bobcat, why would you risk having a car window bashed for a fake remote?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Here is the solution I am having installed in the next 30 days.

An alarm system with a wireless remote that is about the size of a USB drive. When I leave I will shut the garage door. When the door shuts completely I will arm the alarm. The alarm remote goes in my pocket and the garage door opener stays on the visor. If the BG opens the garage without disarming the alarm goes off.

LAYERED PROTECTION, in my opinion is the best defense.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

To really get your panties in a wad take a look at the various programming manuals for UNIVERSAL Clickers.

Basically most if not all garage door openers are set to a default/master dip code based on manufacturer(kinda like the first three octets of MACs for networking equipment). ALL are available online for programming your new Universal remotes. How many of you change yours(the main transmitter unit inside the garage) from the default? How many can? You do the math. Odds are with my downloaded charts, a universal remote, and about 5 minutes or less and I can probably get in your garage.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Even without your opener, they aren't impossible to defeat by someone with a good electronic back ground.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links