Katrina.....

Katrina.....

This is a discussion on Katrina..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My heart goes out to the victims of the hurricane, they lost it all. I hope all that are alive and stayed behind are safe ...

Thread: Katrina.....

Katrina.....

My heart goes out to the victims of the hurricane, they lost it all. I hope all that are alive and stayed behind are safe and vigilant. It is during times like these where we must be willing to protect our families. God bless...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Administrator

Ditto:

Everything you said. :unitedsta
    Some lost absolutely everything.

+1 here too

Administrator

Katrina Update

Martial Law has already been declared.
    I think there have been three shooting incidents already at the SuperDome. There is growing unrest at the SuperDome.
    Looters are looting.
    I think the situation might deteriorate rapidly.
    Hope it does not but, things should get interesting.

I hope not too ugly though.

Assistant Administrator
    I have sneaked some views at the news on and off today - every time, I see new footage of worse damage - it goes on and on.

We have not seen even the half of it yet and for so many - they have lost everything - many too it is seeming, their lives also.

Devastation on this scale is hard to comprehend - almost comparable to a severe war zone. Here tho is the extra effect and complication of so much water. We will learn more day by day - and it will rarely be good news.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It's always sad when peole take advantage of bad situations for their own personal gain.

Mike

Senior Moderator
    If you think its bad now...check this out...

Its beggining to look like its gonna be awhile before many of the people that live in the southern part of Louisiana are going to get their power restored.

A short lesson in power usage...

Industry Reports of the company that I work for has stated that over 100 electrical substations are ethier underwater or not working due to storm damage of some type. For those that dont know, a substation is a small electrical station that uses transformers to regulate voltage to particular segments of a city. Thse are usually fenced off and have lots of equipment in them, most of them are unmanned and only attended to when there is a problem. The bigger a city, the more substations it will have. The more industry that resides in a part of the city the more more substations it will have.The substations are powered directly form the power stations that produce the power, and this is made into the power that you use everyday to live with.

You have probably experienced power outages at one time or another that have come as a result of a substation outage. When this happens, only a part of a city will lose power. In some cases, its a simple matter of switching the load to another substation and using the reserve capacity of that substation, other times you may not have power until the problem is fixed.

Ever seen the power go off on a whole block, yet across the street it stays on ? This happens when a transformer that feeds power to that whole block trips offline or it could be that the other side of the road is powered by a different substation.

So here are but a few of some of the problems.

It may be a while until some of the substations that power New Orleans will be dry enough to attend to as a some of them are under water. As it stands right now, the damage cant even be accuratley assesed.

Those that can be repaired may face a parts shortage due to the sheer magnitude of damage over a widespread area. Normally, it takes up to 18 months to order the manufacture and ultimatley replace a transformer. A small supply is usually kept on hand at the various transformer repair shops where craftsmen do nothing but rebuild and repair and replace as needed and on a schedualed rotation. Unfortunatley, the several repair shops in these areas are also underwater or out of commision, futher complicating efforts.

Im sure that the electric company will give it their best efforts to restore the power as best they can, but they have limited resources. We have already sent several hundred lineman from Arkansas to assist. Several hundred lineman from Florida and even Texas are traveling that way even as we speak. Today at the Nuclear plant that I work at, they went around to the various shops asking for volunteers to etheir man the jobs at the Nuclear Plants of employess that have been affected by the strorm or even to assist those employees with cleanup efforts of their homes and property.

The River Bend Nuclear Plant has throttled back their power operations to 70 % as they simply have no where to send the power as many of their substations that distribute power have ceased to function. Some of their employees have been affected. The Waterford Nuclear Plant was shut down as required by the NRC for safety concerns due to high winds encountered. They have been given the green light to continue operations as of today, but are experiencing problems with the Distilled Water supply that feeds the plant, ans they have currently have no water supply due to the storm.

These are but a few of the problems that you may not hear about on the news media. We've been told that in some areas, it could be up to 4 months before the power is restored.

Think about it. Four Months without refrigerators, washers and dryers, without lights. TV, microwaves and water. The water will become a problem. You must have electricity to run the water pumps at the water plant to pump the water to your faucet.

Can you survive with out electricity for 4 months ?

The people hit by the hurricane are gonna need our thoughts and prayers and if possible assistance in restoring their lives back to normal.

In some areas looters have been arrested and the longer the power outages last the more it will occur. Policing in many areas will become a nightmare. Can you imagine ?

Its beggining to look like it could be a long haul for everyone in the area, even those that may have escaped unharmed.

Deff a nasty thought and way to live ive been with out power for over a week and that was enough

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    Can you survive with out electricity for 4 months ?
    Well, it was done in the past. But there are probably very few that could do it today. The biggest thing would be food and water, both of which would be in short supply near urban centers. I'd almst think the further from a city you are the better you could survive without electricty.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

4 months? We were without power for 26 hours, and my wife demanded we go to a motel....I'd abandon whatever I had down there, and make a move. Anywhere hiring.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman
    4 months? We were without power for 26 hours, and my wife demanded we go to a motel....I'd abandon whatever I had down there, and make a move. Anywhere hiring.
    We were out at the house for about 5 days once..... Did a lot of grilling and used a lot of candles.

The best thing was on the 4th day the freezer we'd ordered was delivered. One of the neighbors asked if it came with electricity built in.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

JT
    Satilite images of before and after...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ns-imagery.htm
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Sponsored Links