cataracts & Chrystal lenses

This is a discussion on cataracts & Chrystal lenses within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My eye doctor says I've got cataracts and I'm really tired of wearing glasses. With them I can't see the front sight and without them ...

Thread: cataracts & Chrystal lenses

My eye doctor says I've got cataracts and I'm really tired of wearing glasses. With them I can't see the front sight and without them I can't see the target well. I used to have 20/15 vision and this coming Monday I'm supposed to see him about getting "Chrystal lenses" for something around $2000 or just regular cheap lenses that the Military Tricare will pay for. Anyone out there had this stuff done to them? I would like to hear what your thoughts are on the subject.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Never heard of them. I hope it works out well for you - I don't know much about cataracts except that my grandfather had them and they did something and then he could see again. I guess whether to spend $2000 on your eyesight is kind of a personal decision. What do you use your eyes for? Do you get a lot of enjoyment out of them? It seems like it would be worth it, no matter the price, but that's just my opinion.
    I just asked my wife what cataracts are and she said they were something like a layer or scab or something growing over your eye. Well, I had laser eye surgery to correct my vision last year and they measured me a few times over a period of a month or two, then when they had all their coordinates ready they set me down in the chair and "zzzap!" burned away the useless parts. Maybe they do the same thing for cataracts?

Austin

Lightbulb Learn and Ask

I had cataract surgery in November 2005 and January 2006 (they do one eye at a time). I jumped for the progressive lenses and have been very pleased. There are two main lens vendors (I don't remember the names, and do not have access to my records for a couple of weeks), but at that time, one of the vendors' lenses typically resulted in better close vision (reading), but with less improvement in the distant ranges. The other vendors' lenses were known for better distance, but the close showed less improvement.

I selected the latter, and now use 2.5 reading glasses, but am darn near 20/25 at medium to distant ranges. That's OK because I'd had bi-focals for 10+ years. Shooting is now better because I got the most improvement at mid-range +. I do not require glasses for my DL.

I know two other folks that went with the progressive and love the results.

The cataract is actually a clouding of the lens. It cannot be zapped away or cured with drugs. It is progressive, and ultimately results in highly impaired vision or blindness. In the surgery, the old (original) lens is surgically removed, and a new artificial lens inserted. It is an outpatient surgery, and requires an eye-patch to protect the eye from rubbing at night. No pain.

Most folks note a significant improvement in color recognition - colors are brighter and more vivid rather than the cloudy yellowish washed out colors pre-surgery.

I opted for the progressives hoping the improvement would take away 35 years and glasses, alas, I still have the ol' Wal-Mart cheapies. It's a pretty personal decision whether to jump for the progressives - I'd suggest you talk to your Ophthalmologist and several of his/her clients to help you make that personal decision. I would only go to an Ophthalmologist for this procedure too - no one with less training or experience!

Good luck! Learn about the Doc, his success, and proceed as you are comfortable. It took me six months to get used to the idea of somebody screwing with my eyes.

Agree with Rock and Glock, talk with friends/family who have had it done, find out where they went and talk with a few clinics there and find one you like and trust.

There are different replacement lens options out there so find someone who will take the time to discuss all your options.

Just found this site: Eye Procedures > Selecting the right intraocular lens -- EyeMDLink.com

Actually just had a local cataract surgeon come in and give a presentation to us at school tonight and it was pretty interesting. Watched a couple surgery videos and talked a bit about the history of it.

Anyway, good luck!

Ridurall:

I have the Amo ReZoom lens:

ReZoom™ Multifocal IOL – Get Your Zoom Back!

I would talk with your Doctor at length about the varied multi-focal options - newer ones are on the market since I had mine done.

Thank you for the replies. I go see the doctor Monday and I'm going to get a list of names that he has done the crystal lense procedure on. Also thanks for the link.
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I had cataract surgery last year. I don't remember what brand lenses were used but it was done at the VA hospital so I doubt they were the best. Anyway, I'm very thankfull because my vision went from 20/400 to 20/20. It completely changed my life.

cars

Quote Originally Posted by cars View Post
    Anyway, I'm very thankfull because my vision went from 20/400 to 20/20. It completely changed my life.

cars
    Great results! Congratulations!

VIP Member
    Got cataract surgery about 15 years ago. For some unknown reason one eye went bad, the other has remained O.K.

I'm sure there have been big improvements in procedure and in the lenses through these years. So the message is, get it done, and go with whatever the doc thinnks is best for your situation.

I had a problem with a "posterior capsule" lens and it was eventually changed to one that sits in front of the eye. But, it is my understanding that most folks do quite well with the posterior lenses and my situation was somewhat unusual.

Good luck, but also consider how very lucky you are. When I was younger, cataract surgery put folks in the hospital, flat on their backs, for weeks on end. Then, you got to where godawful thick ugly glasses that didn't really quite do the job. It is a different world now. Often, not even an overnight in the hospital. I think my elderly neighbor lady was driving the next day.

I'm looking forward to being able to see the front sight on my rifle and the target at the same time. As it is now, I've got to make a choice. One or the other. I guess I'll find out Monday what is available. I'm then going to find out what the problems are with each procedure. My wife had 20/2700 vision when I married her. Coke bottle glasses when she didn't have on contacts. She had the Lasic procedure done several years ago and has been very happy with it and no glasses at all. If I can get the same type of results I'll be happy.

Links