Prairie Dog Hunting Olympics

This is a discussion on Prairie Dog Hunting Olympics within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just ran across this surfing YouTube... any that have ever varmint hunted will be amused: YouTube - P-Dog Olympics -Vol 1- Varmint Hunting Video -Velocity ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prairie Dog Hunting Olympics

Just ran across this surfing YouTube... any that have ever varmint hunted will be amused: YouTube - P-Dog Olympics -Vol 1- Varmint Hunting Video -Velocity Films

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I know I should be disgusted, but I'm not really
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I know I should be disgusted, but I'm not really
    Ditto. Strangely amusing.

I suppose it is a bit morbid and slightly like roadkill in that, you know you shouldn't look, but you do anyway. Nice shooting though, eh? I also liked the rip on the "French judge"....

What are you guys doing up at this hour anyway? :)

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

What are you guys doing up at this hour anyway? :)
    Defending the homeland. Sleep is a waste of time.

I remember seeing something like this before (Minus the Olympic theme). I believe they were using 50 Cal (at least in the one I saw).
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

Destructive prairie rats getting what they need!! Love it!!!!!!!!!Creative and useful rifle practice for defending the homeland and restoring it to its' formerly productive status!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

I agree that prarie dogs are a menace to farmers but I really think the video is in bad taste and shows no respect to animals. This is good ammo for the animal rights people. If one needs to kill animals they should be respected and their carcases used to a good cause. Killing animals should not be a game.
    Rant off..............

I have done tons of hunting in my earlier years, and I have no problem with hunting troublesome varmits, but this vid is not for me. I do, however, respect your right to view and enjoy as you wish.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've got access to a few hundred acres of prairie dogs. The first time I took my daughter with me she felt kind of squeamish about shooting them-------- until she shot one and then a great big fat one came out of the mound and dragged him off and started eating him. She killed 6 dogs off that hill in 30 minutes with my 17 HMR. She loves shooting them now and it doesn't bother her a bit. I can reach out farther with my Bushmaster but it's so loud that they go to ground and stay there. With the 17 HMR they seem to ignore it and you can keep shooting. Shooting prairie dogs is great practice for judging wind and range and learning how to apply it.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have done tons of hunting in my earlier years, and I have no problem with hunting troublesome varmits, but this vid is not for me. I do, however, respect your right to view and enjoy as you wish.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    I don't have a problem with it either, I was a little dismayed (couldn't quit laughing) at my perverse pleasure I was taking in the rodents jumping when they get hit.

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I wish i had access to prarie dogs. I'd have so much fun
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I wish i had access to prarie dogs. I'd have so much fun
    Check out this link: North Dakota Tourism - Official Site of North Dakota Department of Commerce - Tourism Division and The Official Website for Mott, ND. We welcome you to Mott. A great city to call home!

The Mott site deals more with pheasents, but if you talked to the right rancher I'm sure they'd be more than happy to get rid of those varmits.

The best part was the shot at the French judge!

Please, I mean no disrespect to anyone on this board, but I have to counter a few statements with my views and observations. I not picking on anyone on the board, it's just that the following statements are the same ones I hear all the time, so here goes.
    and shows no respect to animals. This is good ammo for the animal rights people.
    Any hunting show on television is good ammo for the animal rights people. They believe that animals have a higher place than humans and that if you are being attacked by an animal, you should let the animal have it's way as that's "nature". Sorry, but I'm not going to allow any animal to have it's way with me or my property as I consider humans to be at the top of the food chain.

If one needs to kill animals they should be respected and their carcases used to a good cause.
    Prairie dog carcases left in the field do serve a good cause. First of all, the feed other prairie dogs (they're cannibalistic). Second, they feed countless coyotes, hawks, crows, vultures, and other carrion eaters.

Killing animals should not be a game.
    Shooting prairie dogs isn't a game. It's a sport by which riflemen can hone their skills on a live target which needs to have it's numbers kept in check. In actuality, that's pretty much the reason for hunting of ANY wild game. Without hunting, their numbers will increase to the point where they're population outgrows their food supply and they begin to starve or they encroach on human population. Prairie dogs are vermin, plain and simple. They may be cute vermin, but still vermin. Farmers and ranchers will keep their numbers in check one way or the other, either by hunting or by poisoning. I happen to think that a quick (though visually devastating) death by a bullet is much more humane than a slow death by poisoning. Make no mistake about it -- to the ranchers whose pastures are being destroyed by these rodents, keeping their numbers in check is not a game. Until you've witnessed the destruction they cause first hand, it's hard to imagine. Prairie dogs have no natural defense system other than speed and the ability to get back down their holes. As such, they will not roam a great distance from their burrows to feed. They will literally strip every blade of grass by it's roots in the area around their "town" and when they can no longer feed within a safe range of their burrows, the entire town moves to a new location and starts over leaving behind them an area full of holes that pose a danger to livestock and barren ground useless for grazing for years unless the rancher takes on the expense of replanting.

I always find it ironic that people who would have no qualms about catching a rat in their home in a trap would apply some higher value to a prairie dog which is nothing but a rat with good PR. I watched a good friend of mine beat a mouse to death with a broom in her home but thought it was horrible when we were planning our prairie dog hunt. How many people who think killing prairie dogs is evil would think twice about killing a mole that was destroying their beautiful yard. Their both vermin, their both destructive. One just happens to be "cuter" than the other. If we apply some mystical value to cute animals, then why not to all creatures. Don't swat that fly on your picnic table -- the mosquito sucking blood from your arm -- or the roach on the countertop. And for heavens sake, don't have an exterminator kill off those termites eating away at your house, they're only doing what comes naturally. After all, why should your 150,000 dollar home be any more valuable than a 1,000,000 pasture?

O.K., down from the soapbox.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links