Watch vs Pistol - watch loses!!

This is a discussion on Watch vs Pistol - watch loses!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife bought me a really nice watch several years ago for Christmas. It is the nicest one I have ever owned and by far ...

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar

My wife bought me a really nice watch several years ago for Christmas. It is the nicest one I have ever owned and by far my favorite. The watch has an automatic movement (which means the action is wound by the movement of your wrist) so that you never have to wind it. I love the watch and basically haven't taken it off since I got it several years ago. Which means that every time I have shot in the last several years it has been on my wrist.

So, last year it began losing time. I took it to the jewelry store and they sent it back to the watchmaker to take a look. I was told since it had a two year warranty their wouldn't be a charge. So off to the watchmaker it goes. Two weeks later they call back and inform me that my watch has undergone "Severe/Catastrophic Trauma" and won't be covered under warranty. My reaction is somewhat less than Christian to their diagnosis that the watch has been somehow beaten to heck and they aren't going to warranty it. I try to talk my way out of the $500 to fix the watch but they don't budge. Since, I really don't have any other choice I agree to the repairs. Month and a half later my watch returns in absolutely new condition (I have to say that they did a great job and have often wondered if they sent me a new watch).

Roll on several months - I am looking over my gun inventory and approximating the round counts on my handguns. For some reason I start tallying the total number of rounds that I have shot. I then start thinking about the following:

1. I'm left handed and wear my watch on my left hand
    2. I have fired somewhere around 12,000 rounds with the watch on
    3. "Normal" movement of the arm/wrist winds the watch
    4. What the heck does recoil do to the watch

So I go and ask the jeweler where my wife got the watch about it. His first question was "so what do you shoot"? We get into a long conversation about shooting and pistols. He then tells me that wearing a watch on the same hand that you use to shoot is a "no-no". The recoil from the pistol will cause the main spring to overwind the watch. This in turn will almost always cause the watch to malfunction.

I doubt that this happens very often since most shooters aren't left handed. Secondly, most left handed people wear their watch on their right hand. Lastly, most people wear a quartz watch. However, I thought I would post this just in case I could save someone $500 bucks. You could actually buy a pistol with that money!!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

VIP Member
    I have a Seiko automatic movement that I bought over three years ago for $120. Admittedly I don't shoot left handed, but 90% or more of my right hand shots are two handed, so the left hand is getting the same recoil. I have fired several thousand rounds left handed as well. My Seiko keeps time as well today as it did when I bought it.

What are you shooting? I shoot 10mm, .45 ACP, 9mm mostly, but since I bought the Charter I have shot a lot of .44 Special. I do shoot it about half the time left handed. I don't have a .44 Mag or .500 so it is the handgun that has the most recoil. I have never even considered that the recoil might cause a problem for the watch and thus far it hasn't. I'm not likely to start removing it to shoot either.

If it is that sensitive imagine what a carpenter or the guy who runs the jack hammer would do to one. I would think that unless there is some statement about what not to do wearing one you would have a pretty good case for getting the work done under warranty. Shooting is not an activity that most of us would consider as abuse to a wrist watch.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

uh-oh.... my citizen eco-drives' are still working perfect and keeps perfect time... but for how long ?
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

George - I absolutely agree with you in principle. I believe what sent the watch over the edge (which I left out of my post come to think of it) was my class at Valhalla where I shot 1,200 rounds of .40 S&W over a 3 day period. I am pretty sure that a watchmaker could claim that was undue stress to the movement. As I type this I am thinking that you shouldn't have to baby a freakin' $5,000 watch. I should be able to wear it to hades and back. I guess I'll start wearing my Luminox when I shoot!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

VIP Member
    I have owned 2 .40S&W pistols and hated firing both of them. There is something strange about the way the muzzle twists, at least in compact guns. One was Taurus Millennium Pro 140 and the other a Glock 27. If the way they felt to my wrists is any indication as to what a watch goes through I could see how 1200 rounds of it in three days could do one in.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

The rounds for my defensive pistol class were fired through my HK USPc. However, recoil has never bothered me through this pistol.

I can just imagine the snap recoil in the .40 S&W and .357 sig wreaking havoc on watches quicker than the other calibers, not to mention .44 mag, etc.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

my citizen eco-drives' are still working perfect and keeps perfect time... but for how long ?
    Only about 25 to 50 years, depending on usage patterns. The Eco Drive movement is like a quartz but continuously charged by a photovoltaic system. It has none of the fiddly bits that an automatic watch has so is much more tolerant of kinetic energy.

Joe

Links