Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!

Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!

This is a discussion on Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I sprained my knee last week and have been hobbling around. The wife's Expedition needed an oil change and my 19 y/o kid said ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!

So I sprained my knee last week and have been hobbling around. The wife's Expedition needed an oil change and my 19 y/o kid said he would do it since I was banged up. I went out and showed him exactly what to do, and if he had any questions to stop and ask.

Well, he managed to strip the threads on the oil drain plug, to the point where it wouldn't come out at all. Ordered a new oil pan and gasket, and bought a Chilton's manual to see what needed to be done. Turns out you have to unbolt the center section of the front axle and drop it so that there is room to get the oil pan out.

What a lousy design. Lesson learned is to break all the bolts loose for the kid so that he can't do any damage.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Lead Moderator
    why not re thread the oil pan with a tap? Seems like alot less work. Almost any 4X4 will have an axle blocking the oil pan.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The used to make a self tapping plug just for that application; I would assume they're still available.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

or a thread coil.
    Jack dog

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    The used to make a self tapping plug just for that application; I would assume they're still available.
    +1

This would be MUCH easier. Not to mention cheaper.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Well, unfortunately I was not able to get the old plug out. I had a screwdriver behind the bolt head flange prying, while turning with a ratchet, no luck.

I wanted to go with an insert or something along those lines.

Oh well.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Gee Mike...been there. Trying to teach my boy how to do oil changes has been equally challenging...why not take it in to get it up on a high lift to work it out before pulling everything apart?

Rick

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Wow. I'm 21,...but by the time I was 14 or so,I was doing my parents oil changes 100% un supervised,...Anyway. Theres probable a way to get that plug out,but if its as bad as you describe chances are the pans gonna be so far gone to attempt to rethread it,or use a self-tapping plug.

(NOTE: I've been an automotive service writer,and shop manager for several years now,so I've personally had to rip TONS of FUBAR'd drain plugs out,its rare we had to replace the oil pan.)

Is it a 5.4L or 4.6L Expedition? 4x4 oil pans can be a major pain.

p.s. get hope your knee gets better!

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

[QUOTE=CT-Mike;626151]
    Well, he managed to strip the threads on the oil drain plug, to the point where it wouldn't come out at all.

[QUOTE]

OK I'm curious how do you strip a drain plug backing it out? Unless he tried to tighten it instead and that should have been a duh factor. Basically what I am saying here it may not be his fault, who ever put it in last time may have either cross threaded the plug or put it back with a lot of gunk on the threads.

Sometimes threads just wear out and a new drain plug will fix that, that is if you are careful and do not over tighten it when you put it back.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Expensive? Could be, but just think of the quality time you can have with your 19 year old discussing how he would do it better next time...

We were ALL 19...once in our lives...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I remember when my brother did that. From there on out, I had to supervise him on oil changes. To make it even better, he was 16 and I was only 9! I always had to remind him to put oil on the filter gasket too.

I feel for ya. Make sure he is involved in the replacement. That will help him learn the value of his mistake so he won't do it again.

Hope your knee gets better soon.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    Maybe drill a hole in whats left of the plug and insert a easyout and it may back it out. Then try another plug or insert. Good luck.

Quik-Lube: $14.99 with coupon...five quarts oil, new filter, top off all fluids, labor, no laying on the ground. The oil and filter costs that much for me to do it myself!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    I would just put one round of .45 through it next to the old drain hole. then you could use one of the self tapping plugs. :)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Well after you get the pan off, maybe then you can get the plug out and save the money from buying a new pan.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links