Getting rid of junk mail

Getting rid of junk mail

This is a discussion on Getting rid of junk mail within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm sure everyone here probably gets as much junk mail as I do (even thought I have signed up for some of those do not ...

Getting rid of junk mail

I'm sure everyone here probably gets as much junk mail as I do (even thought I have signed up for some of those do not send lists). Seems like I get several Credit card apps, pre approved loans, etc every week. I get tired of throwing them away, and one day I read a great idea someone had. I take all the junk mail I get and put it in the pre-paid envelopes from the senders and send it back to them (minus my name & address), or mix them up and send them to each other. I still get it, but it makes me feel better, and they get charged, which might keep them from sending more out.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

Make sure you mix them up, or don't send anything back with any sets of "coded" numbers. A dealership (cars) that I worked for as a kid would mail this crap out, and everyone had a customer code somewhere on the card. If you sent it back then they knew to keep trying to contact you at that address.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Great idea... now that postage is going up in May (again!)
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I knew a guy who once sent back some of his house hold garbage (egg shells, bannana peels, etc.) with a not saying "You keep sharing your garbage with me, so I decided to share some of mine with you." The company took him off their list.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    I knew a guy who once sent back some of his house hold garbage...
    That's a good idea too! Maybe I'll send some empty shell casings!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

We shred the offers and send them back. Make sure to send back everything even the envelope it came in, because the heavier the letter the more it costs them...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    send it back, along with a brick. I'm sure postage goes way up when you add weight.

Well, I just burn all my junk mail. If I took the time to repackage them and send them back---I'd have to charge them by the hour. Since I know they wouldn't do that---it's just wasting my time.

Our mail-person is a bit on the unreliable side when it comes to timely delivery, so we use them to put in our box so we can put the flag up and know when the mail is here...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Good ideas, I have been shredding mine and using it as packing material for all the packages I send. It's a little heavier but then again I m not buying peanuts or bubble rap, but I might, just to **** off the junk mail dudes.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Old high school teacher used to change the middle intial in his name to see where the list came from (ie) Hitch D King the "D"would be for Defensive carry, Hitch G King the "G"for Glock. You get the idea .Have used in the past and can not beleavie who sells your name.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    I knew a guy who once sent back some of his house hold garbage (egg shells, bannana peels, etc.) with a not saying "You keep sharing your garbage with me, so I decided to share some of mine with you." The company took him off their list.
    I used to do that too...would leave rotted cheese in there...after 9/11 I decided to stop...cuz they'd probably try to charge me with being a terrorist.... what you can still try to do is attach a brick to the envelope and mail it.... I hear conflicting reports about this working or not...if it does work I'm sure it costs the company alot.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Old high school teacher used to change the middle intial in his name to see where the list came from (ie) Hitch D King the "D"would be for Defensive carry, Hitch G King the "G"for Glock. You get the idea .Have used in the past and can not beleavie who sells your name.
    I did stuff like that, but sometimes would put stuff that if you read the first/last/middle name seperatly nothing seemed wrong, but put it together it was vulgar... and if I received something I would call up the place being extremely irate and confrontational.

Thats pretty funny. I like junk mail though. Without it we'd be paying $2 or $3 to send a letter.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Links