12-yr.old arrested for scuffle-UK

This is a discussion on 12-yr.old arrested for scuffle-UK within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police launch dawn raid on boy of 12 'over school fight' By CHRIS BROOKE - More by this author Last updated at 00:02am on ...

Thread: 12-yr.old arrested for scuffle-UK

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

12-yr.old arrested for scuffle-UK

Police launch dawn raid on boy of 12 'over school fight'
    By CHRIS BROOKE - More by this author

Last updated at 00:02am on 11th February 2008

Comments (29)

Dean Faleh: Woken by police at 6am following a 'scuffle' with another boy
    A father told yesterday how police made a dawn raid on his home - to arrest his 12-year- old son following a "scuffle" with another boy.

Taher Faleh, 31, said he was woken at 6am by two officers hammering at his front door. They insisted on waking his son Dean themselves.

When the worried father objected to them being the first to walk into the bedroom Dean shared with four young siblings, he claimed they threatened to arrest him as well.

By the time Dean was led away, the other youngsters were all "scared and crying", their father said.

The schoolboy was taken to Sheffield's Attercliffe police station where his DNA and fingerprints were taken and he was released on bail at 9.30am pending further inquiries into the alleged assault months earlier.

Recalling the incident at his home in Shiregreen, Sheffield, the father of six said: "I was woken by the knocking. I went downstairs and they said they were the police and they had come for my son.

"I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I thought it was a joke. But they were ready to smash the door down so I let them in.

"I told the two policemen I would wake him up. I didn't want them going upstairs and frightening my children.

"They said they had to arrest him from his bed. I stood in front of them on the stairs because I was knew they would be frightened if strangers burst into their bedroom.

"I was adamant the police officers shouldn't violate my children's space. In my culture it's a sin to violate other people's space, especially children.'

"But they said if I didn't move, they would arrest me for obstruction of justice. They refused to allow me or his mother to wake him up and they insisted on going into my children's bedroom, where there were four children under ten asleep, and waking him up.

"I have six children, they were all scared and crying. There was a big commotion."

Mr Faleh said he phoned the police switchboard when the officers were in his house but could find no one willing to help him or discuss the arrest of his son.

Mr Faleh, originally from Yemen, said Dean was involved in a "scuffle" with a boy on the way home from school.

He added: "I found out about it and I spoke to the other boy's mother and we both agreed we would not take the incident any further.

"They are only children and they have fights, that's what they do. They had a little scuffle and we tried to sort it out.

"Two children had a fight. There were no broken bones, no scars and no lasting damage."

But six weeks later, in September, Mr Faleh received a letter from South Yorkshire Police asking him to contact them about an allegation of assault.

He said he took Dean to the local police station five days after receiving the letter. There, they spoke to two officers.

Mr Faleh made a counter-complaint of racist abuse against the boy's mother, whom he claimed chased Dean home, calling him racist names.

He added: "My son is a good lad. He's got no criminal record, he's doing well at school and he respects his elders.

"I thought England was the cradle of civilisation and then something like this happens, it's unbelievable."

He said he was speaking out about the incident because he was so shocked at the attitude of the police.

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: 'A 12 year-old boy was arrested in connection with an alleged assault, following numerous requests for him to present himself at a police station.

"He has been released on police bail pending further investigations into the alleged assault.

"We treat allegations of assault very seriously and are determined to bring offenders to justice using proportionate means."

2. Remove Ads

There again since they dont have a bill of rights the officials pretty much do what they like.

Assistant Administrator
    ''Things'' over there are getting more and more extreme .......... the LE have gotten way more power of late it seems and yet - the petty criminals just go on getting away with all sorts of stuff.

Better it seems to scare heck out of a young kid for a ''scuffle'' then put efforts into finding and locking up criminals Not what I call a balanced law enforcement.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    By the time Dean was led away, the other youngsters were all "scared and crying", their father said.

"We treat allegations of assault very seriously and are determined to bring offenders to justice using proportionate means."
    And they will wonder in 20 years why the citizens don't trust them or won't help them.

When I was about 6 or so, I was at my uncles shop sitting out by the front counter while my father did some quick work in the shop itself. There were a bunch of guys in there and one state trooper all talking. Several of the guys started egging the trooper to do something. Well, It was to pretend to arrest me, when he got up and started to walk my way and pulled out his cuffs, I freaked out. He immediately turned around and sat back down. Looking back now, I'm sure it was nothing more than a momentary lack of judgment. That was 30 years ago, I don't remember much from that time of my life, but there is a snapshot of that officer coming my way with with those cuffs in his hand burned into my brain. Now it doesn't dominate my image of law enforcement, but it does linger in the back of my mind from time to time.

I can only imagine what those kids will think of Law enforcement when they get older.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: 'A 12 year-old boy was arrested in connection with an alleged assault, following numerous requests for him to present himself at a police station.
    It would be interesting to know how many pleasant and polite requests his parents ignored, prior to the police coming to get him. Taken by itself, such action doesn't seem to be unwarranted. It's the role of police to bring people to answer for their misdeeds. If such misdeeds warranted police attention, even with a 12yr old, then one would think requests to present one's self warranted the parents' undivided attention.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Again.. read those comments. There's a lot of animosity towards what English society has becomes in regards to crime. Anyone taking bets on how long it will be until their is a major backlash?

Also, the story does discuss that he ignored several requests to present himself. However it also indicates that after the first notice months ago, he presented himself at the police station a few days later. It sounds like the first visit went really badly from the family's point of view. If a father like that is keeping his son from the police it sounds like they threatened him or something. Just my guess, though.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Links