SHTF list

This is a discussion on SHTF list within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I got to thinking today (dangerous i know) that when (not if) SHTF and total civil unrest is a reality what things should i ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SHTF list

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

SHTF list

Well, I got to thinking today (dangerous i know) that when (not if) SHTF and total civil unrest is a reality what things should i have with me? I decided to make a check list so in all the panic i could just grab the check list and all the thinking was done in a clam time so i can be sure that i won't forget as manythings.

What would you have on your SHTF list.

This is what i have

1. AK-47 and all mags full (30 mags x 30 rnds = 900 rnds)
    2. Water (minimum of 15 gallons)
    3. Multi-tool
    4. side arm with full mags
    5. Food. Lots of canned food.
    6. a good book.
    7. a bic lighter in a waterrpoof case
    8. flashlight w/ extra batteries
    9. Extra gasoline

I need ideas so when the time comes i can be better prepared.

There are two types of people, the underprepared and the overprepared, i choose to be the latter.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Propane and propane accessories.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Are you staying bunkered in or bugging out?

This is a basic Hurricane Supply List but it is a good starting point
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    List will vary depending on if you are staying in place or bugging out.

Unless it's a nuke emergency I plan on staying in place. I'm already testing it to a small degree right now. Our power went out Sunday afternoon & it is still out (high winds took out lines, power company currently has TWO bucket trucks stuck behind the house! They're bringing a bull dozer in the AM to un-stick them.).

I have genset for power so my list includes fuel for it.

in place:

generator (supplies my refrigeration & pumps my water from the well)
    fuel for generator
    food (we have canned & fresh during growing season & hunting)
    firearms (for defense & hunting)
    ammo, ammo & more ammo
    chainsaw (wood for heat if needed)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    A fairly comprehensive medical/first aid kit.
    + 30-60 day supply of any required Rx meds.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

One road in/out of my neighborhood, and only three trails. Two sides are bordered by wide boggy streams littered with beaver ponds. There are less than 50 houses, and we're all armed. Topography is such that we could most likely repel all but armored and airborne raids. 300ft deep well, plenty of wild game. No reason to bug out, unless there is a problem at North Anna 1 and 2 some 10.5 miles away (yes nuclear reactors).

I doubt anyone on here will leave firearms and ammo off the list but don't forget those every day items like toilet paper, very important when you need it.

You're going to need more good books than just one! Batteries would be nice. Lots of baby wipes. A few buckets to do your laundry in. You need more mags and ammo!

Austin

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I live in north glendale. THe climate here is hostile durring the summer. There is only one way out of the city and that is via I-17 north which is jammed pack everyday, much less a real emergency. I suppose I could put the ATV in the back of my pickup, but this would inherently limit me as I wouldn't be able to store everything. I think bunkering down is my only option. I agree I need atleast triple the amount of ammo, and TP. Didn't even think about RX meds, but i'm not on any; however, it never hurts to have some antibotics, hard liquor (as disinfectant and a trading tool), and an axe w/ sharpening stone.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

My blog

Although I'm actually writing this for myself and some friends, anyone is welcome to glean from it whatever they can/want to. Might help; at least a place to start. I have more articles that I mean to add, as time and creative impulse dictate.

Chuck's Rantings

Hope it helps.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

This is some nice food for though. Time to start loading up on more TP and Hard Liqours
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Edit: Let me preface this post with, I plan to "bug-in".

Fuel is the one thing you'll never have enough of in a crisis situation.

A good generator is not negotiable. I recommend a diesel generator if you can afford one - they require less maintenance, last longer, and diesel fuel is much easier/safer to store than gasoline. 4kw is a good minimum.
    Plan to store enough fuel to run the generator 6-8 hours a day, at half load, for at least two weeks. For me this is abut 45 gallons of fuel. You can't have too much. I'd keep a lot more if it was logistically possible.
    A way to transport fuel from a station back to your location is a must. If you have a pickup, get one of those in-bed 50 gallon gas tanks w/ manual pump. If you don't have a pickup, get as many 5 gallon jerry cans as will fit in your trunk.

Your suggestion of 15 gallons of water... OK, let's add a zero or two. I have about ~750 gallons and would expect it to last me around two months if I'm extra conservative.

Canned food is good, so is dehydrated food and things that can be stored dry such as rice, pasta, etc...
    Invest in one of those "seal-a-meal" home vacuum packer machines. Vacuum packed dried meat (pepperoni, jerky, etc...) will last a LONG time. I also have vacuum-sealed trail mix and some other goodies that would make life a bit more pleasant.
    If you have a decent generator setup and a chest freezer (You can find them for $199 on sale sometimes, and they're quite energy efficient) you should be able to keep food cold in those for a fair bit of time.

Someone already mentioned prescription medication - anything you need to take to stay healthy, you should keep at LEAST a month's supply of, preferably more.
    I asked my doctor for some general-purpose antibiotics and 5mg hydrocodone painkillers for my emergency kit, which he was glad to provide. These would be very helpful in an emergency. Keep them stored airtight and in the dark.

Lots of batteries, or a bunch of good rechargeable ones and a charger or two are also an excellent idea.

Household supplies - paper towels, paper plates, napkins, etc... are great because they save water (don't have to wash them). Soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, shaving cream, etc.... is good to have.

Entertainment. Someone mentioned hard liquor... Yeah, it's good to have some, but remember you may need to stay on your toes. Still, a couple bottles of rum won't hurt... much....

Spare parts. For your cars, your guns, and anything else you depend on. Also a good idea to keep around supplies for home repair. For instance, a few big sheets of plywood, nails, caulk, tarps, paint, etc...

Means of communication. AM/FM radio is a minimum. Getting a CB radio is a good idea, and a HAM radio is awesome if you don't mind getting the license. It's not very expensive or difficult anymore.

Hard currency. US bills are a good idea and keeping, say, $1,000 in a safe place for emergencies is a great idea. I have some gold bullion too, in case the dollar really fell through the floor.

A large part of your "SHTF" list depends on your climate. I'm in a cold climate and I need to be prepared to heat my house with firewood for extended periods of time. I currently have about 1.5 cords of wood and would like to have more, but don't have much room for it. In a warm climate, your needs would obviously be different.

Just some random thoughts... I ponder these "SHTF" scenarios too much sometimes.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    Well, I got to thinking today (dangerous i know) that when (not if) SHTF and total civil unrest is a reality what things should i have with me? I decided to make a check list so in all the panic i could just grab the check list and all the thinking was done in a clam time so i can be sure that i won't forget as manythings.

What would you have on your SHTF list.

This is what i have

1. AK-47 and all mags full (30 mags x 30 rnds = 900 rnds)
    2. Water (minimum of 15 gallons)
    3. Multi-tool
    4. side arm with full mags
    5. Food. Lots of canned food.
    6. a good book.
    7. a bic lighter in a waterrpoof case
    8. flashlight w/ extra batteries
    9. Extra gasoline

I need ideas so when the time comes i can be better prepared.

There are two types of people, the underprepared and the overprepared, i choose to be the latter.

I agree with alot of your post, but just one suggestion;
    If the SHTF and you need to be mobile, runnin the shoe leather express to safety, 15 gallons of water is gonna slow you way down.

Have you considered stocking up on water purification tablets?
    In most climates you can find water so no reason to carry it with you IMHO unless youre in the desert, and if the desert is your backyard you should take a class about desert survival IMO.
    Again just a thought YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    Edit: Let me preface this post with, I plan to "bug-in".

Your suggestion of 15 gallons of water... OK, let's add a zero or two. I have about ~750 gallons and would expect it to last me around two months if I'm extra conservative.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    I'm curious about your water numbers- most studies say a gallon per person per day. How are you calculating your water needs? (really, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here)

Also, where do you store that much water?
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Administrator
    Triple antibiotic ointment is always a must.

> Rope

Concerning water. Have at least SOME bottled distilled water on hand as that is multi-use water and can cleanse wounds.

If you drink Coffee then that is also a must have.

If you wear prescription eyeglasses then you must have at least 1 extra pair (even if they are cheap and ugly ones.)

OK I'll let you folks add more and then I will add maybe 100 more items.

Remember that in the event of a bird flu pandemic - which is a question of when and not "if" - you will need to be totally self-sufficient and be able to remain indoors and away from the public for at least two weeks in order to be guaranteed safe from the first wave.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links