Going to Sedona and Camp Verde, AZ

This is a discussion on Going to Sedona and Camp Verde, AZ within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; hey all we are heading to Arizona to camp Verde to get or puppy< a dobbie> and we will stay in sedona and what to ...

hey all we are heading to Arizona to camp Verde to get or puppy< a dobbie> and
    we will stay in sedona and what to know if there is some places ,i.e gun shops or any places like that to stop at, and also about some motels that are decent like a holiday inn or motel 6 nothing to pricey but not a dump we will spend the night in sedona or if we can if there is a closer place to stay near camp Verde ,any recommendations would be great
    and if u live in that area,,, dessert legends is the name of the breeder
    in camp Verde ,,have u heard or seen that or any one bought there
    doberman pincher's there ..thanks for the info
    also i would like to hit a out door range if possible and if any one wants to invite my wife and i

AZ ro call

is there any one from AZ that can help out ???????

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I am in Prescott. When you get there and you look West, I'm right on the other side of the mountain range. We've got a lot of good gun shops out here and some bad ones. I wouldn't count on finding one in Sedona, though. Maybe they have one???? Not sure. Its a pretty liberal town in most respects. IIRC, some of the hippies used to refer to it as the "center of the universe." I think that has since shifted for whatever reason to some little place in/just outside Colorado Springs. But yeah, they never left. I cruise through there every few months because I love driving 89A to Flagstaff but I don't stop very often so I can't help with hotels.

-J&G Guns is here. Big warehouse nestled behind a Post Office. A little hard to spot but the showroom is decent. GREAT staff who know their stuff. Big corporate access tempered with a lot of small-town-shop atmosphere.

-PV (Prescott Valley Guns) is in downtown PV off of Rt. 69. They have a huge selection of long guns. Everything from $69 Mosin Nagants to M1A SOCOM's and beyond. They're all out on racks and you can get your mitts all over them without anyone bugging you. The staff is pretty good but not overly talkative. I get a lot of my supplies from there because they have really good prices on stuff too. (Side Note: If you like cheesesteaks, stop at Michael's which is about 100 yards down the road in a neon green building. Best CS's I've ever had outside of Philly.)

-Gunsite is north of Prescott in this little halmet called Paulden. Make sure you don't care about your paintjob or suspension if you head out there. The dirt road sucks. But their Pro Shop is cool. Lots of supplies and cool stuff to wear. They also have the largest printed collection of defensive (and offensive) handgun/rifle/shotgun tactics that I have ever seen in one location. Their Smithy shop is also really good. My friends have had some work done there.

-High Noon Shooting Parlour is also in PV near the shop listed above. I would head in there to browse but little else. Their rotating staff doesn't seem too knowledgable and I have had some past concerns about some of the safety I have seen in there. The staff that has been there a while knows their stuff cold, but some are very rude for no visible reason. Their range is okay but I don't like paying to use it when I can shoot elsewhere for free.

As for shooting outdoors? I don't know whats local to that area. There's a bunch of spots out here. Arizona is basically one big outdoor range as long as you use your brains and clean up after yourself. If you don't get a reply for the area I can list some spots for it on my side of the mountains if yo uare interested.

When are you going to be down here?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    There is a Motel 6 right off of the junction of I-17 and Hwy 260 in Camp Verde, its a nice place, stayed there once a couple of years ago. No controlled ranges to speak of in Northern AZ, but there is a good place to shoot over off Bullpen rd in Camp Verde. There are not many gunshops in that area, there is one in Cottonwood, Smoke-n-guns, on main street. I have to go to Phoenix this weekend of I would show you where to go shoot.
    If you get a chance to eat in Sedona and like Italian food, try the Hideaway. Right on Oak creek, reasonable prices, excellent food.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

-PV (Prescott Valley Guns) is in downtown PV off of Rt. 69
    PV has a Downtown?????
    great gunshop by the way!!

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    -PV (Prescott Valley Guns) is in downtown PV off of Rt. 69
    PV has a Downtown?????
    great gunshop by the way!!
    Hahahhaha!!!!! Okay, point taken.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

You won't find a room in Sedona cheaper than a new pistol. Drive through, look at the pretty rocks, then stay in Camp Verde, it's not that much further. And yes, Prescott Valley (the world's largest trailer park) has a downtown, it's called the highway.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I went to Sedona last year. If you like off roading, you can rent a jeep and see some great scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    You won't find a room in Sedona cheaper than a new pistol. Drive through, look at the pretty rocks, then stay in Camp Verde, it's not that much further. And yes, Prescott Valley (the world's largest trailer park) has a downtown, it's called the highway.

guess it was a good day to pick on PV!

I lived there for a year and a half. I picked on it when I lived there. I still do, now. haha What's not funny is how big meth is getting there. Getting to be like a bigger Paulden.

[/threadjack]
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Gotta remind non-Arizonans, Prescott and Prescott Valley are two totally different worlds, just seven miles apart. Most likely you'll drive thru PV to get to Prescott. It's the town four miles long and one block wide. Keep on going to Prescott, a beautiful town, and very historic.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    There is a nice motel next to the municipal airport on top of one of the mesa's in Sedona. I can't remember the exact name, I think it is Sky Ranch Motel. I don't know if the prices are still reasonable, but the first two times I went to Sedona we stayed there. It has nice rooms and spectacular views of Sedona or views of the motel's central garden, for a little less.

Links