Civil war

This is a discussion on Civil war within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Based on your family history (not where you currently live) and origins what side would you have been on if you were alive in the ...

View Poll Results: What side would you have been on?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Union

63 56.25%
  • Confederate

49 43.75%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Civil war

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Civil war

Based on your family history (not where you currently live) and origins what side would you have been on if you were alive in the Civil War? For me I would have been in the Union as my whole family is from New England.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I am from the only county in Alabama that refused to secede from the Union

The Republic of Winston

We were Southerners in Blue
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Use a power opener for this can of worms!

Union for me.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

I'm in Texas, but I would of went with the Union, but if they keep trying to take away our liberties, I might find myself on the seceding side in the next few years.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

JD
    Administrator
    :

I was born in a "Border State" (Maryland) which allowed slavery, but was neither for nor against it. When there was rioting and bridge burning by pro-Confederate individuals, Lincoln sent Union troops to the area and declared martial law.

What side would I have been on? Hard to tell. On the textile/industrial topic, I would have likely sided with the Confederacy. On the slavery issue I would have been Union.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Lets see...Moms' family was still in mexico, and Dads' family I think was still in Germany...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

EW3
    Union.

An ancestor on my stepmothers side fought at Gettysburg. We went there and looked him up one year.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

You'll probably need to add the option of "Other" for those folks who live in places that were not yet States during the Civil War.

Brian

Union...as did at least one of my ancestors.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    My family is from states that didn't exist. But if I go back far enough... Missouri, Ohio, New England... Yep I'm a yank.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Man, what's with the Union folk pulling away in the polls??? Where are all my peeps at? Come on guys.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

VIP Member
    My father's family is from Louisiana, and mother's family is from Texas (and South Carolina) so family history says I'd fought for the Confederate Army. In fact I have several ancestors that did. AFAIK I didn't have any ancestors that were wealthy enough to own slaves. I'd say my ancestors were dirt poor and eeked out a living and sustained themselves off the land, the best way they could. They apparently fought because they felt it was "the right thing to do" at the time for them. I've read that captured Confederates, obviously poor, told their Union captors when asked why they were fighting? "Because you all are down here".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I would definitely be then as I am today for States rights.

P.S. A civil war is when one faction desires to overthrow the incumbent government by force.

The U.S.A. NEVER had a civil war. It was an attack on the Confederate States by the Union Army to prevent the Confederacy from exercising their constitutional right to secede from the Union.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Maine suffered more causalities per capita than any other Union state.My ancestors
    lost 5 members to the war.I guess they were unlucky or didn't know how to duck.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links