I wonder why? N.O. vs Lake Charles

This is a discussion on I wonder why? N.O. vs Lake Charles within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A little back ground first.. I live in a little town called biglake, it's south of Lake Charles, LA. This area was devistated by hurricane ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wonder why? N.O. vs Lake Charles

I wonder why? N.O. vs Lake Charles

A little back ground first.. I live in a little town called biglake, it's south of Lake Charles, LA. This area was devistated by hurricane Rita. I have seen all of the backlash going around about what the police did in N.O. after the storm. OK, here's the question. When I came back home the day after Rita hit here there was no one running around taking guns from people. As a matter of fact it was pretty much open carry around here. The first person I saw in my area(who was on a horse) was ridding around with a revolver on his side. Yet there were no police trying to grab guns. At the first check point I saw coming in there was a police officer that I knew. He seemed to have no problem with my pistol sitting on my center console in my truck. When I asked a very close friend of mine( who happens to be a cop that went to N.O. after Katrina) about the gun grab, his reasoning was that when they went in they had people shooting at them. So someone made the decision to start grabbing guns. I don't remember the whole conversation, but do remember martial law coming up. One question is. If martial law is declaired in an area, does that mean your rights don't exist? Second question. Am I the only one who thinks that the reason that they did things differently here compared to N.O. is because we were not shooting at people and they were. My intention isn't to start a post war, but to get people's opinion. What do ya'll think?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    FWIW, I had a high-ranking LSP who was in N.O. for a month or so after Katrina tell me about some of the "shootings". He said that some of the shooting reports were false. Stranded citizens were exaggerating the story with gunfire reports so police/rescuers would go to that particular location quicker. I'm not saying that there weren't shootings going on, I'm just saying that apparently some of the reports were false.

I think I heard too that some of the out-of-state leo's took it upon themselves to start seizing firearms. Either way you look at N.O., it was a mess. I did hear good things about the folks in your area and their coping with Rita. Ya'll didn't just sit around and wait on someone to show up to help, you started doing it on your own. We took some minor hits from Rita but nothing like you did.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Assistant Administrator
    Bottom line to me would be - sure some NO shootings may or probably did occur - by BAD GUYS ....... the slimes who at any opportunity will capitalize on a situation of unrest and disorder.

It is they who needed dealing with and NOT the genuine folks who needed their guns for defensive purposes.

The Post Rita scene described is how it should be .... and if any shooting going on do not blame good people ... as chances are it's bad guys.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I agree, Alot of the shootings were in fact exaggerated. The officer I know didn't know of the gun grabs as they were happening. I was told that as they entered certain areas in boats they were fired apon. My brother in law was contacted to haul generators into the city shortly after the storm and was told not to stop for anyone except police. These things are the reason I didn't go there to help. I wanted to badly, but when I called my police buddy he told me not to go. He told me that a person with three children shouldn't go there are risk himself. I found that odd at the time, but I trust this man. I was very concerned about coming back here after the storm for those reasons. I ended up leaving my family in Austin and driving back by myself so that I could see wha was going on before I brought them back. When I got back I was glad to see people helping each other. We had relatives and friends come and help us cut trees all over. Everyone was willing to help. The things that bothered me the most was seeing the older peoples home that they had lived in most of their lives destroyed.

VIP Member
    First, I would like once again to recommend this book:
    Amazon.com: The Great New Orleans Gun Grab: Books: Gordon Hutchinson,Todd Masson

From what I read in the book, the gun confiscation, Martial Law and the evacuation order were all illegal. Martial Law applies if the military takes over local government's functions which it never did. IRRC from the book there is no provision in the LA constitution for the institution of the martial law.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

The Times Picayune reported the following in the same August 31, 2005, article.

"But even though no martial law exists, Gov. Kathleen Blanco's declaration of a state of emergency [on August 26, 2005] gives authorities widespread latitude to suspend civil liberties as they try to restore order and bring victims to safety. Under the Louisiana Homeland Security and Emergency Assistance and Disaster Act of 1993, the governor and, in some cases, chief parish officials, have the right to commandeer or utilize any private property if necessary to cope with the emergency.
    "Authorities may also suspend any statute related to the conduct of official business, or any rule issued by a state agency, if complying would 'prevent, hinder or delay necessary action' to mitigate the emergency.
    "It also gives authority the right to compel evacuations, suspend alcohol and weapons sales and make provisions for the availability and use of temporary emergency housing.
    "The law gives mayors similar authority, except they do not have the right to commandeer private property or make provisions for emergency housing, according to a background brief prepared by the state Attorney General's office."

Maybe the police need to reread the laws?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by centermass View Post
    One question is. If martial law is declaired in an area, does that mean your rights don't exist?
    IIRC as of 1985, as a matter of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, if martial law is officially and truly declared in an area, a Summary Court Martial Authority (field grade officer: Major/Lieutenant Commander or above) has the authority to order summary execution. He or she will answer for the decision later, but you will still be executed. That is the shorthand answer.

It may have changed since I left active duty, but I doubt it.

Administrator
    Being there for a short time, and having friends that were there for an extended period, the only "gun grabs" I could confirm was those that happened because the gun owners were doing something they should have been doing in the first place.
    One example was a gun owner who took it upon himself to "patrol" his neighborhood, and ended up getting into a firefight with other neighbors and police. He lost his gun, and rightly so IMO.
    Nobody went door to door looking for guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    My son attends college in Lake Charles.I live about 45 minutes west.New Orleans is like a different planet compared to the rest of Louisiana.I met a lot of really nice people from your area during Rita when we evacuated to Arkansas.I really do not see martial law or anything close to it in smaller towns.Crime surged in Houston after Katrina due to a large influx of the bad element from N.O.That is not to say all are bad in N.O.There was also a ton of confusion with Katrina and Rita.I would not worry to much about gun grabbers,

I found tons of videos on this. Just type in new orleans gun confiscation and see what happens. There is videos all over the place of cops going door to door taking guns and making people leave.

YouTube - NRA: The Untold Story of Gun Confiscation After Katrina

YouTube - National Guard Confiscating Guns in New Orleans

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Where's the militia when you need them?

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    The "militia" are busy watching American Idol.

Sorry.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    The "militia" are busy watching American Idol.

Sorry.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I hate that you said that. But only because it is true.
    Jack dog

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So who can declare Martial Law? Anyone besides the Pres?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links