A 16 year old's mindset

This is a discussion on A 16 year old's mindset within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not that my house is very secure right now, but I started taking measures to make it more so. One of the easiest things to ...

Thread: A 16 year old's mindset

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

A 16 year old's mindset

Not that my house is very secure right now, but I started taking measures to make it more so. One of the easiest things to do was to install door alarms on all the doors. (Radio Shack for about $30 each.)

Of course the kids know about it. They learned very quickly that they need to turn it off before they open the door. However, getting them to arm it again when they come back in is a bit more problematic.

Case in point. We have two cats and their litter box is in the laundry room. The laundry room leads out to the garage where the garbage can is. I was doing laundry when my daughter came in to clean the litter box. She dutifully turned off the alarm to go into the garage, but when she returned, she locked the door, but neglected to rearm the alarm.

I asked her to please do so and her response was, "ya, whatever".

I left the room to put away my laundry. As I was half way through it, it occurred to me to have a longer discussion with her. So I went back to the TV room and explained to her that I take this VERY seriously and I am going to have to insist that she rearm the door when she comes in from the garage.

Why does the word paranoid keep coming up?

Anyways, she is going to be more diligent.

Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Teenagers, in general.

I myself am still a teenager (just barely), and while I don't claim to be an authority on why people in my age range can have poor attitudes, I have a few ideas.

For starters she probably isn't consciously concerned about safety. I know that personally I'm much more acutely aware of possible dangers when I am with someone I perceive as being "vulnerable" around me, be it a girlfriend, a child, or anyone I wouldn't trust to be dependable when the SHTF. You're looking out not only for yourself but your family, which might not completely register.

As a parent, what comes across as "paranoid" to your child seems like common sense, and for the most part it is. Expecting a 16 year old to spend 5 seconds rearming an alarm is far from being overly demanding. It doesn't sound like you're having a pillbox put in and installing retina scanners on the front door.

Teenagers are also notoriously self-centered, our brain chemistry literally wires us that way and we're still developing into people. Safety might not be high on her priority list. My best advice is that keep drilling it into her and it'll become second nature.
    People do not lack strength; they lack will. Victor Hugo

alarm system

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Not that my house is very secure right now, but I started taking measures to make it more so. One of the easiest things to do was to install door alarms on all the doors. (Radio Shack for about $30 each.)

Of course the kids know about it. They learned very quickly that they need to turn it off before they open the door. However, getting them to arm it again when they come back in is a bit more problematic.

Case in point. We have two cats and their litter box is in the laundry room. The laundry room leads out to the garage where the garbage can is. I was doing laundry when my daughter came in to clean the litter box. She dutifully turned off the alarm to go into the garage, but when she returned, she locked the door, but neglected to rearm the alarm.

I asked her to please do so and her response was, "ya, whatever".

I left the room to put away my laundry. As I was half way through it, it occurred to me to have a longer discussion with her. So I went back to the TV room and explained to her that I take this VERY seriously and I am going to have to insist that she rearm the door when she comes in from the garage.

Why does the word paranoid keep coming up?

Anyways, she is going to be more diligent.

not paranoid,just trying to keep family safe.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Sooner or later, your re-enforcement of the issues will become habits. You'll still have the occasional lapses of memory, but since you're the commander in chief, it's ultimately your duty to secure the perimeter. Is it possible to get a central monitor for all of your secured entries?

I am with ya............

My 13 and almost 15 year old (next week) daughters can't see past thier cell phones and the school yard drama that affect and impact thier lives so intently.
    Yes....I'm sarcastic. They are poster children for condition white and oblivious to the danger and threats of the world around them. All you can do is stay on 'em and teach 'em those little lessons when the oppertunity arises. They do hear even if they arn't 'listening' as intently. Both of my daughters have, albit quietly 'off-line', let me know they're using certin tidbits of wisdom I pound into 'em to avoid/stay outta trouble and will alert me to questionable behavior/actions when out and about.

Hopefully if the weather holds and my wife is feeling better I'll have both my girls at the range with me this afternoon.

Stay on 'em and remember, daughters are penence for all the sins we committed as young men. (That's how I see it anyway)
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I use the door alarms on the inside doors of my house too, along with hasps, chain locks, and a monitored alarm system. I follow the "onion layers" approach to home security, and yes, I'm accused of paranoia and "fortress mentality," but there are home invasions in my area. I never want to be at the mercy of an invader's whim. I think what I do in terms of precaution is lightweight compared to what people have to do in other countries.

Regarding teens, their brains are not fully-developed yet. They generally have a hard time considering consequences before acting, etc. In our infantilized society, it seems that it's taking even longer for our youth to become full-fledged adults. Making them do things repeatedly can ingrain the desired behavior. For example, if your child doesn't arm the alarm, bring them back to the "scene of the crime," and make them disarm the alarm, open the door, close the door, and then rearm the alarm three or four times. Keep this up for a month, and it may begin to sink in. I got this straight from Dr. Phil's show.

It won't change until she has her own place. Mine didn't lock doors, wipe their feet, etc. In their own place, wiping feet and locked doors suddenly became important...and we (wife and I) were often reminded of the their rules...

But that's life, no one else takes care of your stuff like you do...

Stay armed...keep it locked...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I dont think 16 year olds have "mindsets". Their thoughts or lack there of come and go with the wind.

Its your job to show her how and why without being overbearing or coming across as paranoid.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Its your job to show her how and why without being overbearing or coming across as paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilky1121 View Post
    installing retina scanners on the front door.
    Hmmmm... retina scanners... :Hmmmm:

When my girls were that age, I cut out every article involving home invasions and assaults. They were mandatory reading before dinner. I often thought about getting one of my friends they didn't know to stage one, but they had been shooting with me since they were six, and I was afraid they might just react properly!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Links