Science: most people ARE like sheep!

This is a discussion on Science: most people ARE like sheep! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Crowds 'pick leaders to follow' - Telegraph Crowds 'pick leaders to follow' By Roger Highfield, Science Editor Last Updated: 11:01pm GMT 14/02/2008 People in crowds ...

Thread: Science: most people ARE like sheep!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Crowds 'pick leaders to follow' - Telegraph

Crowds 'pick leaders to follow'
    By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
    Last Updated: 11:01pm GMT 14/02/2008

People in crowds behave just like sheep, scientists claim, by blindly following one or two people who seem to know where they are going.

Like ants, humans are easily led [a link to the story below - P]

Researchers at Leeds University believe their findings could have important applications, notably in the management of disasters.

The study found that people, like sheep, can be easily led
    The team, led by Prof Jens Krause, conducted a series of experiments in which volunteers were told to walk randomly around a large hall without talking to each other. A select few were then given more detailed instructions.

The results published today show that it takes a minority of just 5 per cent of what they called "informed individuals" to influence the direction of a crowd of a minimum of 200 people. The remaining herd of 95 per cent follow without realising it.

"There are strong parallels with animal grouping behaviour," says Prof Krause, who reports the work with John Dyer in the Animal Behaviour Journal, with colleagues at the Universities of Oxford and Wales Bangor.

"We've all been in situations where we get swept along by the crowd but what's interesting about this research is that our participants ended up making a consensus decision despite the fact that they weren't allowed to talk or gesture to one another.

"In most cases the participants didn't realise they were being led by others."

The work follows another study by Dr Simon Reader of Utrecht University that showed that most of us are happy to play follow-my-leader, even if we are trailing after someone who does not really know where they are going.

"Even more striking, that study found that even when we are shown a faster route, we still prefer to stick with the old one and tell others to take the long road too.

That discovery could have lethal implications when it comes to evacuating a building or ship in an emergency, when people would likely stick to the familiar evacuation route, even if slower than an alternative.
    Like ants, humans are easily led - Telegraph

Like ants, humans are easily led
    By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
    Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 12/12/2007

When it comes to being misled, humans are no more sophisticated than ants or fish.

Implications for evacuations and how to guide people safely in an emergency will arise from the discovery that most of us are happy to play follow-my-leader, even if we are trailing after someone who does not know where they are going and taking the most meandering route.

Even more striking, even when we are shown a faster route, we prefer to stick with the old one and tell others to take the long road too, a finding that could have lethal implications when it comes to evacuating a building or ship in an emergency.

"These results parallel similar findings in ants and fish, and show that very simple processes can underlie human behaviour" commented Dr Simon Reader of Utrecht University, who reports the findings today in the journal Biology Letters.

In the experiments, 72 people - 40 women and 32 men - were asked to complete questionnaires in one room, then taken to another room where they were to complete an experiment.

"We led them one of two routes into the room (while talking about other things), and, later, asked them to return to the starting room," said Dr Reader.

"All but one person took the route they had been led. What we were surprised by was how strong this effect was, even when the alternative route was much shorter," he said.

They preferred the long route even when the experimenter had drawn attention to the alternative route, or when the experimenter took the long route solely to pick up a fallen poster, eliminating the possibility that participants thought the experimenter had a good, but unknown, reason to take the long route.

By asking participants to collect the next guinea pig in the experiment, the scientists observed that each person in the chain copied the route of the participant before them: a simple tradition that meant the alternative route was never discovered.

In a fire or emergency, then, people would likely stick to the familiar evacuation route, even if it was much slower than an alternative.

Senior Moderator
    Nothing new there.

Its pretty obvious really.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Nothing new there.

Its pretty obvious really.
    It's new to the sheep, only the sheepdogs think it's obvious.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Boy aint that the truth. I was in the rather overcrowded gun show today and thinking to myself--what happens if the fire alarm goes off in here? Then I knew what I'd do! Get the heck out of the way and hope the ants don't cover up the hole with bodies before I got out!

This is NEW research? ok i thought it was common knowledge
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Used to be 'lemmings.' Now, is 'sheep.' A solid step down, it would appear.
    Attached Images
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    No Sherlock, Geez, we have to spend money to figure things like this out?
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Now I know what the problem is.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Hey, I didn't think this would surprise anyone, and I wasn't the one who funded it. But I was amused at their experimental design.

At least I posted it in the right place...

Administrator
    I thought that the specific experiments they did were interesting reading.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Interesting read but, really, not new news to most of us here.

Honestly, with the mind set that is usually exhibited here, most of us would be the one or two individuals that the rest of the sheep would end up following.

Personally, I believe I would be irritated being followed by a herd of sheeple.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I see it everyday in the "biker world"...they all dress alike and do the same events and go everywhere in herds...

Sponsored Links